London Banter

-   -   Route 63 heading south (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2814-route-63-heading-south.html)

?uzzled March 2nd 05 08:30 PM

Route 63 heading south

Anybody know why so many 63 buses heading Southwards from Kings Cross
terminate at Blackfriars and then turns around and goes back to Kings Cross
again ? The 63 usually goes all the way to Honor Oak.

I usually get on at Blackfriars and it was incredibly frustrating today when
over a half hour period, 3 buses got to Blackfriars and turned around. After
40 minutes a 63 came along that only went to Peckham. Needless to say the
bus was packed. There was one woman passenger who argued with the driver
because she got on and paid on one of the previous 63s, not realising it
didn't go all the way, and refused to pay again.

There are so many workers around Blackfriars that needs to get home that it
seems ridiculous for the bus to head back North again with hardly any
passengers while we're left waiting on the other side of the road to get
onto packed buses. There have been times when the drivers will not even stop
because the buses were so full or they will only stop to let a few people
out but would not let anybody else board.

[email protected] March 2nd 05 08:59 PM

Route 63 heading south

The Kings X-Blackfriars 'shorts' are extras which are runnning at peak times
during the period of the Thameslink closure.

Chris Cook
Beckenham, Kent

Stuart Farquar March 2nd 05 09:15 PM

Route 63 heading south

Anybody know why so many 63 buses heading Southwards from Kings
Cross
terminate at Blackfriars and then turns around and goes back to
Kings Cross
again ? The 63 usually goes all the way to Honor Oak.

These buses are shuttle ones being operated as a result of the
Thameslink blockade, they are only scheduled to run in the peaks as
an additional service betweek Kings Cross and Blackfriars.

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC3
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

?uzzled March 2nd 05 11:35 PM

Route 63 heading south

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I guess that explains why they're turning
around.

Shame the drivers can't report back to the depot on how busy this route gets
when people are trying to go home from work in the evenings. 'Dumping' more
passengers at Blackfriars to wait for a 63 that goes all the way doesn't
help. I'm guessing that these extra passengers would normally get a
connecting train when they used the Thameslink line.

Can somebody explain what this 'Thameslink blockade' is and when it will be
back to normal ? Thanks

Nestor Badudoy March 3rd 05 08:56 PM

Route 63 heading south

The "Thameslink blockade" refers to the closure of the line between King's
Cross Thameslink (KXT) and Kentsh Town while the new St. Pancras CTRL
station is constructed. The line has effectively been severed at King's
Cross, with trains from the north terminating at St. Pancras and trains from
the south turning back at KXT.

Routes 45 & 63 are heping to ferry passengers between the affected stations
so they can make connections at Blackfriars (using SER, Southern etc).

Regards,
Nes.
--
Please remove the spam-deflecting X's to reply directly to me - or simply
reply to the group!