Old March 7th 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Switchable signs

In the Tube signs standards document [1], LU mentions switchable signs
(section 1.11). These have white text on a dark blue illuminated patch.
Can anyone tell me how and why these are used? And where? There are
some photos showing them in Waterloo, but it's a big station.
--
Michael Hoffman

[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...al_Dec2003.pdf

Old March 7th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote:
In the Tube signs standards document [1], LU mentions switchable
signs (section 1.11). These have white text on a dark blue
illuminated patch. Can anyone tell me how and why these are used?
And where? There are some photos showing them in Waterloo, but it's
a big station.
[1]

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...al_Dec2003.pdf

[Hint: don't put footnotes after your sig, as they get removed by some
news software when replying]

Are you asking about switchable signs in general (the subject of section
1.11 on pages 36-40) or just the blue-background ones? The latter are
not actually featured in the photos. As to why they are used, I guess
it's either to divert flows in the peaks to cope with the numbers or
because some routes are closed at certain times, e.g. an exit closed
after 23:00.

--
Richard J.

Old March 7th 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Michael Hoffman wrote:

In the Tube signs standards document [1], LU mentions switchable
signs (section 1.11). These have white text on a dark blue
illuminated patch. Can anyone tell me how and why these are used?
And where? There are some photos showing them in Waterloo, but it's
a big station.
[1]

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...al_Dec2003.pdf

[Hint: don't put footnotes after your sig, as they get removed by some
news software when replying]

[Hint: If I wanted people to quote the footnotes when replying, I'd
put them before the sig.]

Are you asking about switchable signs in general (the subject of section
1.11 on pages 36-40) or just the blue-background ones? The latter are
not actually featured in the photos.

Well, either, actually. Although it would be interesting to see the
blue-background ones in particular.

As to why they are used, I guess it's either to divert flows in the
peaks to cope with the numbers or because some routes are closed at
certain times, e.g. an exit closed after 23:00.

Interesting guess. Does anyone know?
--
Michael Hoffman

Old March 8th 05, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin Mayes wrote:
[Michael Hoffman]:

As to why they are used, I guess it's either to divert flows in the
peaks to cope with the numbers or because some routes are closed at
certain times, e.g. an exit closed after 23:00.

Interesting guess. Does anyone know?

Correct guess.

Can you give any examples of where I would see this in action then? I'm
particularly interested in the diverted flows during the peaks aspect.

Thanks!
--
Michael Hoffman

Old March 8th 05, 01:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:05:00 +0000, Michael Hoffman
wrote:

Robin Mayes wrote:
[Michael Hoffman]:

As to why they are used, I guess it's either to divert flows in the
peaks to cope with the numbers or because some routes are closed at
certain times, e.g. an exit closed after 23:00.

Interesting guess. Does anyone know?

Correct guess.

Can you give any examples of where I would see this in action then? I'm
particularly interested in the diverted flows during the peaks aspect.

London Bridge currently has diveted flow during the peaks, but I don't
know offhand if they're using switchable signs.

Old March 8th 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:38:12 +0000, Michael Hoffman
wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Michael Hoffman wrote:

In the Tube signs standards document [1], LU mentions switchable
signs (section 1.11). These have white text on a dark blue
illuminated patch. Can anyone tell me how and why these are used?
And where? There are some photos showing them in Waterloo, but it's
a big station.
[1]

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...al_Dec2003.pdf
[Hint: don't put footnotes after your sig, as they get removed by some
news software when replying]

[Hint: If I wanted people to quote the footnotes when replying, I'd
put them before the sig.]

Obviously, if the footnote isn't quoted, but the text in the post to which
it refers is, the [1] becomes meaningless!

Well, either, actually. Although it would be interesting to see the
blue-background ones in particular.

At Monument westbound, the Central line can be signed either one of two
ways using such a sign.
Old March 8th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:32:22 -0000, "James Farrar"
wrote:

London Bridge currently has diveted flow during the peaks, but I don't
know offhand if they're using switchable signs.

Rotating signs, as I recall. No idea if they're manual or automatic,
mind.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old March 8th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

At Monument westbound, the Central line can be signed either one of

two
ways using such a sign.

Yes, Monument/Bank is an obvious example. Also at Tower Hill, I believe
(for directing people to extra exits in the peak), and Waterloo as
mentioned. London Bridge *tube* has the illuminated ones for signing
alternative routes to the Northern and Jubilee using both escalators,
whilst the NR station does indeed have rotating flaps to indicate the
peak tidal flow system.

What about the Waterloo & City line? It's been ages since I used it.

Old March 8th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Robin Mayes wrote:
[Michael Hoffman]:

As to why they are used, I guess it's either to divert flows in the
peaks to cope with the numbers or because some routes are closed at
certain times, e.g. an exit closed after 23:00.

Interesting guess. Does anyone know?

Correct guess.

Can you give any examples of where I would see this in action then? I'm
particularly interested in the diverted flows during the peaks aspect.

Bullring subway at Bank for Northern Line.