Old March 9th 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default advice please - pool inside M25 for tour team stay

The International Children's Games are in Coventry this year. My local area
is sending about a dozen swimmers and some staff. They'd like to stay near
London to look at touristy things, close to a good pool, with tube or rail
access. The person-in-charge asked me as I've had some experience over
there
but it's a bit dated.

The first thing I thought of was somewhere near crystal palace - is that
pool still running? Would there be reasonable accommodations for such a
group?

The age range is about 12 to 16 (of the swimmers). Suggestions for things
to do as well as places to stay and swim would be welcome.

As always, budgetary constraints are a factor.

Old March 11th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

jtaylor wrote:

The first thing I thought of was somewhere near crystal palace - is

that
pool still running? Would there be reasonable accommodations for

such a
group?

Crystal Palace pool is still there and in use, though it's pretty run
down these days. I think it's still officially run by Sport England so
their website might be a place to start. Sorry I don't know any more!

As far as transport to Central London is concerned, the 3 runs from
outside the park all the way to Oxford Circus, and Crystal Palace
station is also convenient for the pool (pretty decent off peak service
to both Victoria and London Bridge). But then I'm biased as I live down
the road and would like to see more proper use made of the sports
facilities!

Old March 11th 05, 05:57 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:
How about Aylesbury, at Stoke Mandeville there's a new gym/pool complex
and accommodation attached, and it's only an hour from Marylebone station!

Except it's very difficult to get to this site from the station!
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk