Old March 15th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default EOR / ORPS Feud - Time to kiss & make up ?

John Rowland wrote:
"umpston" wrote in message
oups.com...

By the way, I wish EOR well but I think they'd
need to make peace with ORPS before I
would consider supporting either organisation.

EOR run the railway. ORPS are just a bunch of people who wish they

ran the
railway and have for several years done everything they can to

inconvenience
the people who are running the railway. They're conceptually no

different to
graffiti artists who try to rebrand railways with their own tags. I

can't
imagine someone saying he wouldn't join London Underground unless

they made
concilliatory overtures towards graffiti artists. I don't know steps

you
think EOR can take, apart from waiting for ORPS to wither.

I hope at least to come for a ride soon.

So do it, and join EOR if you feel so inclined. Forget about ORPS -

whatever
meaningful mission they might once have had, they now represent

nothing
constructive.

Like you I'm not connected with either organisation but I do perceive
an element of sour grapes from ORPS because they were outbid by Pilot
Developments in 1996. To an extent they were proved right since Pilot
achieved very little in their first few years - until they finally
realised that a heritage railway depends on volunteer support. As ORPS
predicted, none of Pilot's initial promises of heritage, dining and
commuter services have come to fruition - only their property
redevelopment plans appear to have made significant progress.

Nevertheless I think ORPS should get over this and engage
constructively with the EOR volunteers who have at last managed to open
the line. They will no longer need to deal with Pilot (or whatever
they call themselves now) assuming the sale of the line to Essex County
Council goes ahead. Both bodies say they will seek the lease to run
the line, but I doubt ECC will be much impressed with the abilities of
either side if they cannot draw a line under this feud. And ECC cannot
necessarily be guaranteed always to be a benevolent landlord - like all
councils it may be subject to the political whims and bureacracy of the
day. A united bid could surely drive a better bargain for the railway.

The EOR volunteers also need to open up to ORPS involvement - ORPS seem
to be associated with other groups such as Cravens Heritage Trains and
the Holden F5 Trust who have proved capable of getting unique projects
off the ground and (in the Cravens case) working closely with LUL. EOR
are crying out for more volunteers and they need expertise of this sort
- or help from anyone who cares about this railway.

People may be reluctant to join the EOR volunteers if there is a risk
they'd be evicted if ORPS won the bid. And ORPS previously experienced
just such an eviction in 1996, after doing a lot of work restoring
North Weald signalbox.

With Pilot out of the picture it ought to be obvious that ORPS and the
EOR volunteers basically want the same thing.

Old March 15th 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

snip

I have no doubt that the EORVS, the EORL and the ORPS can all work
together to make the line work. The problem, however, lies with certain
inidividuals in the ORPS who have taken it upon themselves to engage in
certain activities designed to discourage and weaken the volunteer
group.

During my last visit I spoke to one of the volunteers, a retired
railwayman with considerable experience running a railway. Not only did
he explain matters in a way I had not heard previously, he also
elucidated several incidents involving said ORPS members - chief
amongst these was a "shindig" involving shouting and abuse on the
Sunday when a test service was operated.

I know, as do many others, that ORPS is not all bad - after all, they
formed CHTL to purchase the 1960TS from LT. It seems to me though that
until these individuals who are making all this noise are pacified,
nothing substantive will be done, and the line will be worse off.

Old March 15th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
[...]

I'm very sorry to hear that. As you say, the project will suffer.
Those individuals need to grow up by the sound of it.

Old March 16th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TheOneKEA" wrote in news:1110904516.346223.325310
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

snip

I have no doubt that the EORVS, the EORL and the ORPS can all work
together to make the line work. The problem, however, lies with certain
inidividuals in the ORPS who have taken it upon themselves to engage in
certain activities designed to discourage and weaken the volunteer
group.

This thread is a little hard to understand if you don't know the
abreviations. Can someone translate
EORVS EORL ORPS CHTL

Old March 16th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew Black (delete obvious bit) wrote:

This thread is a little hard to understand if you don't
know the abreviations. Can someone translate
EORVS EORL ORPS CHTL

EORVS - Epping Ongar Railway Volunteer Society, the people running the
train service
EORL - Epping-Ongar Railway Limited, once known as Pilot Developments,
the owners of the line
ORPS - Ongar Railway Volunteer Society, the group originally tipped to
get the line (this group is the one supposedly causing the ruckus)
CHTL - Cravens Heritage Trains Limited, the folks who own the 1960 Tube
Stock - the founding members were originally from the ORPS