Old March 15th 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Pre-Pay Anomaly?

Yesterday morning I used Pre-Pay on the tubes for the first time during the
week (previously I've only used it at the weekends). Much to my
disappointment it seems to have charged me an incorrect fare. OK so it was
in my favour but I'd much rather it got it right.

I travelled from Blackfriars to Stepney Green at about 8:30am. As a Zone 1
to Zone 2 journey I expected to be charged £2.10 and I was. At 10:30am I
travelled from Stepney Green to Liverpool Street. As a Zone 2 to Zone 1
journey I expected to be charged £2.10 again. Instead I was charged £1.70
which is the single fare for a Zone 1 journey. My only other usage of the
card was an earlier tram journey so there doesn't seem any scope for capping
to kick in. Oyster help desk seemed as baffled as I was, though
unconcerned.

Something I've overlooked or just a flaw in the system somewhere?

G.

Old March 15th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

ISTR Liverpool Street to Stepney Green is one of those "short inter-zone"
journeys where the fare charged is just for the higher priced zone. Bethnal
Green to Bank is another that springs to mind.

I am surpised and rather saddened that the Oystercard helpdesk did not know
this and respond appropiately. Could you contact me via email if you have a
reference number as there may be a training need with somebody at the
Oystercard helpdesk.

Old March 15th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:08:25 GMT, "Graham J"
wrote:

Yesterday morning I used Pre-Pay on the tubes for the first time during the
week (previously I've only used it at the weekends). Much to my
disappointment it seems to have charged me an incorrect fare. OK so it was
in my favour but I'd much rather it got it right.

I travelled from Blackfriars to Stepney Green at about 8:30am. As a Zone 1
to Zone 2 journey I expected to be charged £2.10 and I was. At 10:30am I
travelled from Stepney Green to Liverpool Street. As a Zone 2 to Zone 1
journey I expected to be charged £2.10 again. Instead I was charged £1.70
which is the single fare for a Zone 1 journey. My only other usage of the
card was an earlier tram journey so there doesn't seem any scope for capping
to kick in. Oyster help desk seemed as baffled as I was, though
unconcerned.

Something I've overlooked or just a flaw in the system somewhere?

It is probably this is one of the special short distance cross boundary
fares that would be charged at the Z1 price and not Z12. Given the
short distances involved and the geographic nature of the system it is
similar in nature to other such fares I am aware of.

If you talk to the help desk again get them to check what the actual
fare is between those two locations.
--
Paul C

Old March 15th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:40:10 -0000, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

Thanks for posting the list Barry!

There seems to been some changes since I was selling tickets!

I must say I'm surprised that there are that many fares that are at reduced
rate in one direction only, this I fear could lead to confrontational
situations over fares.

Old March 15th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Thanks for posting the list Barry!

There seems to been some changes since I was selling tickets!

I must say I'm surprised that there are that many fares that are at
reduced
rate in one direction only, this I fear could lead to confrontational
situations over fares.

Note that this list is from the National Fares Manual and appears to only
give fares starting from National Rail stations. I am sure that the fares
are available in reverse, they are just not relevant for the purposes of the
Fares Manual.

Peter Smyth

Old March 15th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:28:05 -0000, "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

Note that this list is from the National Fares Manual and appears to only
give fares starting from National Rail stations. I am sure that the fares
are available in reverse, they are just not relevant for the purposes of the
Fares Manual.

It does seem to include a couple of fares in both directions (e.g.
Balham - Clapham North, Finsbury Park - Seven Sisters), but in the
main it is just fares originating from NR interchange points. I would
hope that LU have a fares chart listing the full range of sub-standard
fares, even if it isn't on the website.

Fares from Gloucester Road to Holland Park and Fulham Broadway are both
charged as a short hop (as confirmed by making a Prepay journey or
checking the charts on the wall at the stations), but don't appear to be
listed.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 16th 05, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

ISTR Liverpool Street to Stepney Green is one of those "short inter-zone"
journeys where the fare charged is just for the higher priced zone.

Bethnal
Green to Bank is another that springs to mind.

Long after writing the message I suddenly wondered about that. I hadn't
thought about it at the time as I don't consider a journey taking the best
part of ten minutes to be short. Also there is not any mention of any such
thing in the Fares and Tickets guide (except for Season Tickets) or on the
TfL website as far as I can see so to the best of my knowledge such things
didn't exist.

Good job I have Pre-Pay really as if I'd been using ticket machines or even
at the ticket office I'd have just been looking to buy based on the
destination zone not the destination station and wouldn't have been looking
out for a cheaper fare.

I am surpised and rather saddened that the Oystercard helpdesk did not

know
this and respond appropiately. Could you contact me via email if you have

reference number as there may be a training need with somebody at the
Oystercard helpdesk.

No reference number. The thing that surprised me was just how long it
seemed to take to find the journeys on their system given that they were the
last two I'd made.

G.

Old March 16th 05, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message

Euston - Mornington Crescent : £2.00

Heh. Has anyone ever actually made this journey?

BTN

Old March 16th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Jim is offline

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

"Barry Salter" wrote in message

Euston - Mornington Crescent : £2.00

Heh. Has anyone ever actually made this journey?

BTN

I used to all the time when I lived at Mornington Crescent, after getting
off a train at err... Euston.

Silly me!

xx j

Old March 16th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim" wrote in message
k...

Euston - Mornington Crescent : £2.00

Heh. Has anyone ever actually made this journey?

BTN

I used to all the time when I lived at Mornington Crescent, after getting
off a train at err... Euston.

Silly me!

Quite.

I'd also be interested in hearing about your tube journeys to work when you
lived in Covent Garden and worked in Leicester Square.

BTN