Old March 17th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default CTRL 2

Some weeks ago someone asked about the purpose of the concrete structure
near the CTRL bridge across the ECML leading into St Pancras. As I was
visiting the station I asked and was told that it is called the "Forward
Incident Control Point".

My next question was "what does that mean?" and nobody could tell me.
So, can someone tell me what a FICP is used for (and don't say
"incidents").
--
Snowy

Old March 17th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Snowdon wrote:
Some weeks ago someone asked about the purpose of the concrete

structure
near the CTRL bridge across the ECML leading into St Pancras. As I

was
visiting the station I asked and was told that it is called the

Incident Control Point".

My next question was "what does that mean?" and nobody could tell me.

So, can someone tell me what a FICP is used for (and don't say
"incidents").

Googling those four words suggests it's emergency services jargon for,
well a place where you control incidents. A place near the incident, so
'forward'.

A typical document using these words is
http://www.suffolkcc.gov.uk/fire_service/emergency_plans/calor.html
which looks to be about how to handle the Calor gas terminal at
Felixstowe blowing up, or similar.

I daresay the CTRL FICP will be used for any, um, incident, around the
new station complex and maybe along the CTRL as a whole.

It's hard to talk about such things without using the word "incident",
btw

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old March 17th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
Larry Lard writes

Ian Snowdon wrote:
[...]

The building houses many things including a substation, power supplies
for the tunnels and the signalling controls. In addition it is a base
for the emergency services to work from if there is an incident in the
first 3(ish) km of tunnel. You will see that it is now clad and roofed.

--
John Alexander,

Old March 17th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Ian Snowdon wrote:

So, can someone tell me what a FICP is used for (and don't say
"incidents").

Forward incidents.

tom

--
Come with me, and we'll go dreaming.

Old March 18th 05, 03:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:44:14 GMT, Ian Snowdon wrote:

So, can someone tell me what a FICP is used for (and don't say
"incidents").

It is the place from which instructions are given in emergency
situations. It is "Forward" because it is close to the action.

--
My most recent pictu
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12808980.html

Old March 18th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default CTRL 2 Bridge

Ian Snowdon wrote:
Some weeks ago someone asked about the purpose of the concrete structure
near the CTRL bridge across the ECML leading into St Pancras. As I was
visiting the station I asked and was told that it is called the "Forward
Incident Control Point".

On the same subject - why is that bridge covered? Seems no need to have
a tubular bridge especially when it's just outside the entrance to a
very long tunnel

Old March 18th 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Stuart
writes
Ian Snowdon wrote:
Some weeks ago someone asked about the purpose of the concrete structure
near the CTRL bridge across the ECML leading into St Pancras. As I was
visiting the station I asked and was told that it is called the "Forward
Incident Control Point".

On the same subject - why is that bridge covered? Seems no need to have
a tubular bridge especially when it's just outside the entrance to a
very long tunnel

To minimise noise affects on the local residents - it was a condition of
the Act I believe.
--
John Alexander,

Old March 18th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John" wrote in message
In article , Stuart
writes
Ian Snowdon wrote:
Some weeks ago someone asked about the purpose of the concrete

structure
near the CTRL bridge across the ECML leading into St Pancras. As I was
visiting the station I asked and was told that it is called the

Incident Control Point".

On the same subject - why is that bridge covered? Seems no need to have
a tubular bridge especially when it's just outside the entrance to a
very long tunnel

To minimise noise affects on the local residents - it was a condition of
the Act I believe.
--
John Alexander,

Apparently the gap between the covered bridge and the tunnel portals will
also be covered in before the services commence. I believe a certain MP who
is/was high up in the New Labour camp and whose party Ken Livingstone
recently attended lives on the adjoining estate.
Cheerz,
Baz

CTRL Angus Bryant London Transport 0 August 5th 04 08:39 AM
CTRL Paul Weaver London Transport 1 August 4th 04 03:49 PM
CTRL Breakout chris London Transport 26 February 4th 04 01:44 AM
CTRL Section 2 aerial photos John Rowland London Transport 1 November 16th 03 09:36 AM
Is the CTRL the first new railway in Britian since 1900? Michael Bell London Transport 4 October 2nd 03 06:41 PM