Old April 3rd 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi at Ikea, Edmonton

I know nothing about the Edmonton area, however, I wish to recount my
tale of woe about my visit to Ikea Brent Park.

I bought a flat-pack chair, then, with a friend, needed a cab to go home
4 miles.

IKEA quoted me £25 for their service.

"Stuff that for a lark!" thought friend and I.

We put pack on Ikea trolley as far as edge of car park, lifted it over
wall to adjoining Tesco, where we borrowed another trolley. We used the
Tesco freefone to a local cab firm. The journey cost us £8.

Ikea's taxi service is a ******* rip-off!

I think there's a part of the TfL site that lists registered minicab
firms by London Borough and I suggest you use that.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old April 3rd 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 23:05:57 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I know nothing about the Edmonton area, however, I wish to recount my
tale of woe about my visit to Ikea Brent Park.

I bought a flat-pack chair, then, with a friend, needed a cab to go home
4 miles.

I must say, as someone who's lugged really heavy IKEA furniture from
Neasden to Ruislip on more than one occasion, using a bus, a tube, and a
burly passer-by, that there's no real need for expensive taxis.

--
Cliff Laine, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://www.loobynet.com
* remove any trace of rudeness before you reply *

Using words well is a social virtue. Use 'fortuitous' once more to
mean 'fortunate' and you move an English word another step towards
the dustbin. If your mistake took hold, no one who valued clarity
would be able to use the word again.

John Whale
Old April 3rd 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

loobyloo typ ed

I must say, as someone who's lugged really heavy IKEA furniture from
Neasden to Ruislip on more than one occasion, using a bus, a tube, and a
burly passer-by, that there's no real need for expensive taxis.

Try it with Multiple Sclerosis. Next!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 3rd 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
com (Dave Newt) wrote:

You've hit my facking kid with that PANTTE table!

KUNNTE! (A range of serving spoons, of course.)

FUKKA (coffee table)

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old April 4th 05, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Paul Cummins)typed

In article ,
com (Dave Newt) wrote:

You've hit my facking kid with that PANTTE table!

KUNNTE! (A range of serving spoons, of course.)

FUKKA (coffee table)

Girls, don't forget the SANNI towels...

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Old April 4th 05, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Phil Richards" wrote in message

Does anyone know of a Taxi/Mini Cab firm
in Edmonton near to the Ikea store?

Black cabs can be ordered anywhere in London by phoning 0 871 871 871 0. See
http://www.onenumbertaxis.com/

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 4th 05, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

We put pack on Ikea trolley as far as edge of car park, lifted it over
wall to adjoining Tesco, where we borrowed another trolley. We used the
Tesco freefone to a local cab firm. The journey cost us £8.

Funnily enough there is a Tesco next door to the Edmonton Ikea, I would
guess they have a freefone to a local cab firm like most supermarkets.

Ikea's taxi service is a ******* rip-off!

Thanks for the warning. No mention of a taxi service on their website.

I think there's a part of the TfL site that lists registered minicab
firms by London Borough and I suggest you use that.

I must admit I'm not keen on the search option. Whilst it does list the
licensed operators only, not giving addresses or postcodes doesn't help.
For some odd reason it lists phone numbers which often duplicate. When you
want to search by specific area you need to cross check against something
like a copy of the Yellow Pages or search directory on-line as some of the
boroughs are huge.

My partner was returning back from Stansted Airport to Tottenham Hale by
rail replacement bus last night. I even tried calling TfL for help in
finding a mini cab firm located at or near Tottenham Hale only to find the
call centre operator searching through an equivalent database laid out not
much better. Although it did give out random addresses, his geographic
knowledge wasn't too good coming out with Muswell Hill being a suitable
one!

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Old April 4th 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:

Thanks Barry, IIRC you live in the area, don't you?

Yup. Up near North Middlesex Hospital.

Where I first popped out into this world! ;-)

I can't see that being a problem, just make it clear that you've got a
flat pack when you call so they can allocate a suitable vehicle.

You can also drop them an e-mail at globalcarcourier (at) btconnect.com.

Thanks Barry!

Old April 4th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Phil Richards typed

Ikea's taxi service is a ******* rip-off!

Thanks for the warning. No mention of a taxi service on their website.

At Brent Park, I think there was some sort of taxi desk close to the
check-out or collection area.

I think there's a part of the TfL site that lists registered minicab
firms by London Borough and I suggest you use that.

I must admit I'm not keen on the search option. Whilst it does list the
licensed operators only, not giving addresses or postcodes doesn't help.
For some odd reason it lists phone numbers which often duplicate. When you
want to search by specific area you need to cross check against something
like a copy of the Yellow Pages or search directory on-line as some of the
boroughs are huge.

Sorry to hear this was less than useful.
Will you be going to your own home address after your Ikea adventure? If
so, some of your local minicab firms might be helpful. Several minicab
firms have fairly wide London coverage anyway.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 4th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

I must say, as someone who's lugged really heavy IKEA furniture from
Neasden to Ruislip on more than one occasion, using a bus, a tube, and a
burly passer-by, that there's no real need for expensive taxis.

Try it with Multiple Sclerosis. Next!

They were out of stock last time I went to Brent Park.