Old April 15th 05, 05:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pre-pay journey resumption question

When using Oyster pre-pay, there are places where you can touch out,
leave the Tube system, touch in again elsewhere, and the system will
treat it as though you are continuing your previous journey rather
than starting a new one. This can happen where you need to leave the
system to change lines (e.g. King's Cross, Hammersmith); there are
also places where you can walk between stations and have this happen
(e.g. Baker Street to Marylebone NR).

The other day, I travelled from Pinner to King's Cross to meet a
friend; we walked from there to Euston, and took the Northern to
Tottenham Court Road. I was surprised to find that the pre-pay system
charged me only once, for the entire journey from Pinner to TCR, as a
single journey. It had treated the journey from Euston as a resumption
of the journey to KX.

So my question is, why did this happen? Does it allow you to have a
walk between *any* two stations as part of your journey, and if so,
what is the time limit? Or does it only work between certain pre-set
pairs of stations? Or does it matter which ticket gate is at one end
of the walk, but not the other? If either of the latter two, is there
a complete list somewhere?

Old April 15th 05, 06:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message
[...]

It is only certain preset stations. Once the blockade of Thameslink services
in the Kings Cross area is lifted and the final achievable recommendation
following the fire at Kings Cross is implemented - an in station interchange
between the 'tube' Ticket Hall and 'subsurface' platforms - via the newly
built passageways - you would be charged for two journeys.

Old April 15th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Robin Mayes wrote:

"asdf" wrote in message

When using Oyster pre-pay, there are places where you can touch out,
leave the Tube system, touch in again elsewhere, and the system will
treat it as though you are continuing your previous journey rather
than starting a new one. This can happen where you need to leave the
system to change lines (e.g. King's Cross, Hammersmith); there are
also places where you can walk between stations and have this happen
(e.g. Baker Street to Marylebone NR).

'Out of station interchanges', i believe.

[...]

So during the KX works, Euston to KX is an allowed out-of-station
interchange? What's the reasoning behind that? What journeys that would be
possible with a fully operational King's Cross are not possible with the
station in its current state, but can be replaced with a journey via
Euston and KX? The works are irritating, but walking from one part of the
station to another is still easier than walking to Euston!

tom

--
The revolution is here. Get against the wall, sunshine. -- Mike Froggatt

Old April 15th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So during the KX works, Euston to KX is an allowed out-of-station
interchange?

From what's been said, I gather that the situation is:

- the gates at KX (subsurface) and KX (deep level) allow
out-of-station interchanges (so that you can transfer between the
two);
- the gates at Euston tube and Euston NR (and also Euston Square?)
allow out-of-station interchanges (same reason);
- an out-of-station interchange can be made between *any* two gates
that allow them - not just between "linked" pairs/sets of gates.

So presumably, if you touched out at Hammersmith, got a (super fast)
taxi to KX, and touched in there, it would count as an out-of-station
interchange.

So is there a list of places that allow these interchanges? The Baker
Street / Marylebone one is far from obvious (it's not shown as an
interchange on maps, though there are signs at Baker St pointing the
way to Marylebone), and I can think of some other places it'd be handy
(Northwick Park to Kenton?).
Old April 15th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

So is there a list of places that allow these interchanges? The Baker
Street / Marylebone one is far from obvious (it's not shown as an
interchange on maps, though there are signs at Baker St pointing the
way to Marylebone), and I can think of some other places it'd be

handy
(Northwick Park to Kenton?).

West Brompton - Earls Court would possibly be handy

Old April 15th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

West Brompton - Earls Court would possibly be handy

Pre-pay isn't valid to West Brompton though (unless you're on the
District but then why walk? Or is getting off and walking faster than
staying on the train?)
Old April 18th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message
way to Marylebone), and I can think of some other places it'd be handy
(Northwick Park to Kenton?).

Paddington (H&C) to Lancaster Gate.

Old April 21st 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From what's been said, I gather that the situation is:

[...]

This facilty is only available when requested by Station Supervisors
or Tfl. The Oyster readers are instructed to "become" readers at the
adjacent station if the adjacent station is closed, therefore allowing
the interchanges mentioned above. As mentioned elsewhere I would
imagine this link of the gates is being allowed because of possible
crowd control problems at Kings Cross. So, to answer your question
there is no list.
Old April 21st 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
So my question is, why did this happen? Does it allow you to have a
walk between *any* two stations as part of your journey, and if so,
what is the time limit? Or does it only work between certain pre-set
pairs of stations? Or does it matter which ticket gate is at one end
of the walk, but not the other? If either of the latter two, is there
a complete list somewhere?

Tramlink seems to let you do a return journey for the price of a single
(I don't know if this is for similar reasons)... Touched to board at
East Croydon, went to Ampere way/lane, popped into Ikea for half an
hour, touched to board at Ampere Way and didn't get charged. It was
recoded as boarding a TRL1 bus with the second boarding not costing.