Old April 15th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Screw Threads

I noticed on the engineering poster at Moorgate that the multi coloured
screws have a left hand thread - anyone else noticed?
--
John Alexander,

Old April 16th 05, 02:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John" wrote in message

I noticed on the engineering poster at Moorgate
that the multi coloured screws have a left hand
thread - anyone else noticed?

The old light bulbs that they had (have?) in Routemasters had left hand
threads - this was to stop anyone pinching them to use them at home.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 16th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"John" wrote in message

I noticed on the engineering poster at Moorgate
that the multi coloured screws have a left hand
thread - anyone else noticed?

The old light bulbs that they had (have?) in Routemasters had left hand
threads - this was to stop anyone pinching them to use them at home.

That sounds like an urban myth, bus bulbs are hardly likely to be 240v are
they?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 16th 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Max Henry wrote:
[John Rowland]:

The old light bulbs that they had (have?) in Routemasters had left hand
threads - this was to stop anyone pinching them to use them at home.

That sounds like an urban myth, bus bulbs are hardly likely to be 240v are
they?

Dunno about that. I do know that the light bulbs used on the New York
City subway have a left hand thread, at least according to the New York
Transit Museum.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old April 16th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John" wrote in message

I noticed on the engineering poster at Moorgate
that the multi coloured screws have a left hand
thread - anyone else noticed?

The old light bulbs that they had (have?) in Routemasters had left hand
threads - this was to stop anyone pinching them to use them at home.

That sounds like an urban myth, bus bulbs are hardly likely to be 240v are
they?

No, but then not all bulbs used in the hope days gone by were, either.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old April 16th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Max Henry wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
"John" wrote in message

I noticed on the engineering poster at Moorgate
that the multi coloured screws have a left hand
thread - anyone else noticed?

The old light bulbs that they had (have?) in Routemasters had left
hand threads - this was to stop anyone pinching them to use them at
home.

That sounds like an urban myth, bus bulbs are hardly likely to be
240v are they?

But someone inclined to do such a thing isn't likely to have the wit to
realise that they are probably a different voltage.

Old April 16th 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Max Henry
writes
That sounds like an urban myth, bus bulbs are hardly likely to be 240v
are they?

But the people stealing them might not be that likely to realise that.

I once worked with a German TV crew making a documentary on a suburban
housing estate in Coventry. Towards the end of the day, their camera
was stolen. It was of no use whatsoever in a domestic situation but
I'm pretty certain that it wasn't stolen to order for TV work! Rather,
someone thought that they'd stumbled on a "big camcorder".......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old April 16th 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

The old light bulbs that they had (have?) in Routemasters had left hand
threads - this was to stop anyone pinching them to use them at home.

RM bulbs had a standard size bayonet coupling.

This applied to the saloon lights, the platform light, the cab light, and
even the 'hidden' inspection lamp socket in the cab (which had no switch
and was constantly live).

If you had a lazy conductor, he could put a sixpence under the platform
light bulb, then when it got dark and you put the lights on - pop goes the
fuse and you had to park up until the fitters came out to replace same.

IIRC, RT fuses were accesible, but RM fuses were behind a bolted plate.