London Banter

-   -   http://maps.google.co.uk/ (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2969-http-maps-google-co-uk.html)

John Rowland April 21st 05 02:18 AM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

(This is probably for broadband users only)

Zoom right in and then click on the arrows to scroll at high speed, or just
drag the image with the mouse ... How cool is that!

At the highest level, the detail of service roads is astonishing. Just north
of Harrow On The Hill station it seems to show the roads inside the
multi-storey car parks.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Martin Underwood April 21st 05 09:17 AM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

"John Rowland" wrote in message

http://maps.google.co.uk/

(This is probably for broadband users only)

Zoom right in and then click on the arrows to scroll at high speed, or
just
drag the image with the mouse ... How cool is that!

At the highest level, the detail of service roads is astonishing. Just
north
of Harrow On The Hill station it seems to show the roads inside the
multi-storey car parks.

Very impressive for its speed of redrawing the screen as you scroll around.

It would be useful if clicking on part of a small-scale map centred the map
about that point and zoomed in to save alternating between zooming and
panning to show the map that you want.

It's a shame that outside central London the maps don't show things like
railway stations and car parks.

Its route-planning is a bit strange: the normal route between my house and
my parents, mostly along A roads, is about 25 miles; Google suggests a very
long detour onto green primary A roads (A34, A41), totally ignoring red A
roads and brown B roads, which makes a total of 44 miles and adds about 20
mins onto the journey time.

Steve Dulieu April 21st 05 11:31 AM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

"John Rowland" wrote in message

http://maps.google.co.uk/

(This is probably for broadband users only)

Zoom right in and then click on the arrows to scroll at high speed, or

just
drag the image with the mouse ... How cool is that!

At the highest level, the detail of service roads is astonishing. Just

north
of Harrow On The Hill station it seems to show the roads inside the
multi-storey car parks.

Not bad, but it does think that Wood Green underground station is call
Woodford and vice-versa...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Jason April 21st 05 12:37 PM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 02:18:11 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

http://maps.google.co.uk/
(This is probably for broadband users only)

A few problems I've noticed with reference to transport in London:

St James Street and Bethnal Green (NR) stations don't exist!

It won't recognise Walthamstow Queens Road Station in a search,
despite this being the exact wording on the map.

--
Cheers,

Jason.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Dr. Sunil April 21st 05 07:00 PM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

Why is Aspen Way orange, not green? An error on all maps
differentiating A-roads into primary/non-primary?

Look at the colour of the signs he

http://sunilprasannan612.fotopic.net/

Sunil

Stuart April 21st 05 08:10 PM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

Steve Dulieu wrote:

Not bad, but it does think that Wood Green underground station is call
Woodford and vice-versa...

Only when you look very close... if you zoom further out they are
correct bizarely

I hope they include aerial photos as good as the US version.... they
really are amazing

Stuart April 21st 05 08:18 PM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

Jason wrote:

A few problems I've noticed with reference to transport in London:

St James Street and Bethnal Green (NR) stations don't exist!

It won't recognise Walthamstow Queens Road Station in a search,
despite this being the exact wording on the map.

In my locality they've missed out Brimsdown station and labelled Ponders
End, Brimsdown instead. Ponders End station is where Enfield Lock
station is

Alexandra Palace station is missing totally, but if you zoom out it
replaces New Southgate.... meanwhile Hornsey rail station is in the
middle of a row of terraced housing!

Wonder where they got the data from?

Mike Bristow April 22nd 05 07:55 AM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

In article ,
Martin Underwood wrote:
Its route-planning is a bit strange: the normal route between my house and
my parents, mostly along A roads, is about 25 miles; Google suggests a very
long detour onto green primary A roads (A34, A41), totally ignoring red A
roads and brown B roads, which makes a total of 44 miles and adds about 20
mins onto the journey time.

I couldn't agree more; "Green Man Roundabout to Bramley, GU5" is odd.

I think I might try the London end - it'll make a change to cross
the river at Blackwell - but the Guildford end is totally screwey.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Markku Ilmanen April 22nd 05 08:22 AM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

John Rowland wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/

(This is probably for broadband users only)

Zoom right in and then click on the arrows to scroll at high speed, or just
drag the image with the mouse ... How cool is that!

At the highest level, the detail of service roads is astonishing. Just north
of Harrow On The Hill station it seems to show the roads inside the
multi-storey car parks.

Quite amazing how fast it works. Thanks for the link. But try to zoom
out to the max. Is this the world today as Americans see it? ;-)

Mrs Redboots April 22nd 05 03:21 PM

http://maps.google.co.uk/

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 21 Apr 2005:

http://maps.google.co.uk/

(This is probably for broadband users only)

Zoom right in and then click on the arrows to scroll at high speed, or just
drag the image with the mouse ... How cool is that!

At the highest level, the detail of service roads is astonishing. Just north
of Harrow On The Hill station it seems to show the roads inside the
multi-storey car parks.

It's interesting, as it shows some of the private rounds round near
where my parents live, but not all of them!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/