Old May 9th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default round thing outside liverpool street

In article .com,
lonelytraveller writes
there are some passages like that now for the other entrance to the
tube (the one with escalators going both ways, left and right),

I've just been there to look, and that is the original Central Line
booking hall. The passages are the original ones I was remembering, one
emerging by platform 1 and the other by platforms 11/12.

Before 1992 the former would have emerged at a side entrance at the
corner of the offices. My previous plan wasn't detailed enough; the
offices did not reach quite back to Liverpool Street itself, and I have
memories of there being a memorial wall in the side entrance.

but
they would have been outside the building on the cab road in 1985,

No. The platform 1 one would have been behind the offices, and the
platform 11/12 one in the middle of the station (from memory, beside the
arched wall between 10 and 11).

unless they moved them. I guess that ticket office itself would have
been just inside, as I think its dead in the centre of the whole
station now, so I suppose they could have moved them, but Id have
thought it would have been more sensible to just have steps straight
into it, or have made the escalators go to the surface or something,
and come out just by the offices, unless it was under platform 9?

Yes, it was.

But if thats the case, then why did they build it in the one place
inside the station they couldn't get to the surface?.

Because the GER gave them the space free in exchange for an agreement
not to extend beyond Liverpool Street.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 9th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
lonelytraveller writes
I meant the central line rather than the circle line - where the
escalators are now is where you have marked "offices" on your plan, but
on a 1980s photo - http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/c483527.html -
there is a road there, rather than a building for "offices".

I went to Liverpool Street this morning to look around. Looking again at
Chris Tolley's pictures:

The one showing the Solari board: the roof above platforms 12 to 17 has
now been completely removed but the barrier line is roughly in the same
place as shown. This picture would appear to have been taken from the
walkway along the side of the ticket office (now a pub). At the extreme
left you can see a staircase up to the footbridge - the (present)
platform 11/12 exit from the Central emerged just beside it.

The one showing the Great Eastern Hotel sign is taken on the old
platform 9; the photo was taken from a point which is *now* around the
buffer stop of platform 8 but was then well outside the barrier line.
The offices on the right are the ones I am referring to. The hotel
fascia, with that flat-arch top, is still there opposite 9 and 10. On
its right is now McDonalds. If you look in the picture you can see a
sign pointing to Liverpool Street, Taxis, and Broad Street; I *think*
that the other Central Line exit (the one now by platform 1) was there.

The wide space between 10 and 11 still there today was, I am fairly
sure, the cab arrival and parcels area, including chutes down to
MailRail.

I can't work out where the outside picture was taken, so I can't see how
that sloping road fits in.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 9th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Clive D. W.
Feather writes
snip

I can't work out where the outside picture was taken, so I can't see how
that sloping road fits in.

Isn't the door on the right the back entrance to the GE hotel looking
from Bishopsgate with the building at the back being the old 50
Liverpool Street Offices?
--
John Alexander,

Old May 9th 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

sorry, I meant why didnt they move it slightly west so that the
escalators could get to the surface, rather than the tube line

Old May 9th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The sloping road one is taken from liverpool street - the road where
the bus stops are now is on the left, and mcdonalds is on the extreme
right - there is a similar picture from about 1920 that shows a
slightly wider area -
http://www.tfsimon.com/england-liver...tation.bmp.jpg.

There is one from 1985 that just shows it -
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277472.html
And here is one that just shows the very top of the slope -
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13296306.html

The slope should be where mr feather put the offices.

Old May 9th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
lonelytraveller writes
And here is one that just shows the very top of the slope -
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13296306.html

You can see a slope in that?

That's the Liverpool Street side of the hotel and is still there (I
recognise the railings at first floor level). The metal framework just
visible is where McDonalds and the entrance opposite the low numbered
platforms now is; the offices had already gone.

However, now I've got my bearings: the ramp in Chris's outside picture
(um, http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277478.html) goes down behind
the offices which, I agree, might not have been as wide as platform 1.

I also found a note saying that the platform ends we
1&2: 0 miles 4 chains
3-8: 0 miles 5 chains
9&10: 0 miles 0 chains
11-18: 0 miles 2 chains

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 10th 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

However, now I've got my bearings: the ramp in Chris's outside

picture
(um, http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277478.html) goes down

behind
the offices which, I agree, might not have been as wide as platform

1.

Underneath that slope was a British Railways Staff Association-owned
gymnasium, certainly as late as the mid-1970s.

Old May 10th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

sorry, I think that link must have gone a bit wrong - I meant the prior
picture http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277471.html

Old May 10th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Its a cash machine now.