Old May 13th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New DLR suburban possibilities

A South London newspaper is reporting that Catford has made it onto a
shortlist of about 10 suburban areas which are being considered by DLR
for extensions; apparently, about 3 or 4 of these will then be taken
forward for appraisal work.

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk...siteid=501 00

Does anyone have any more information on these possibilities? Catford
doesn't seem like an obvious destination as it parallels an existing
railway, although it could be useful for interchange to/from services to
Bromley.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old May 14th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Does anyone have any more information on these possibilities?

Not me. Although i did find this very nice map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/pdf/DLRmap.pdf

Which has all sorts of intriguing stuff on it. The Arc of Opportunity!
Some kind of future station on the way to Dagenham Dock (on the LTS line,
rather than the CTRL, i assume). Crossrail going via North Greenwich or
something.

Catford doesn't seem like an obvious destination as it parallels an
existing railway, although it could be useful for interchange to/from
services to Bromley.

Nick O'Donnell is quoted as saying:

"They all got a value for money scoring at the end, and Catford scores
quite favourably."

Maybe it's not that it's an outrageously useful station, but it is a cheap
one.

They're not planning to assimilate the railway line between Lewisham and
Catford, are they? I guess not, since that would mean either cutting off
the Mid Kent line to Hayes or building a connection from it to the Catford
loop, to allow trains to get anywhere, and that would be extremely
expensive.

tom

--
Gotta treat 'em mean to make 'em scream.

Old May 14th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

[...] DLR extension to Catford

They're not planning to assimilate the railway line between Lewisham

and
Catford, are they? I guess not, since that would mean either cutting

off
the Mid Kent line to Hayes or building a connection from it to the

Catford
loop, to allow trains to get anywhere, and that would be extremely
expensive.

I rode the train from Lewisham to Elmer's End back in Sept 2001.
I recall the right-of-way being rather wide, like 3 or 4 tracks,
but my memory is fuzzy...

Old May 14th 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Does anyone have any more information on these possibilities?

Not me. Although i did find this very nice map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/pdf/DLRmap.pdf

Which has all sorts of intriguing stuff on it. The Arc of Opportunity!
Some kind of future station on the way to Dagenham Dock (on the LTS line,
rather than the CTRL, i assume). Crossrail going via North Greenwich or
something.

Unfortunately that map's a couple of years out of date now. It's
interesting, though. The stations on the LTS line have been floating
around for a little while, and are generally dependent on government
funding for the development proposals in the area.

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/86
(not much extra info available though!)

Catford doesn't seem like an obvious destination as it parallels an
existing railway, although it could be useful for interchange to/from
services to Bromley.

Nick O'Donnell is quoted as saying:

"They all got a value for money scoring at the end, and Catford scores
quite favourably."

Maybe it's not that it's an outrageously useful station, but it is a cheap
one.

Possibly... but if that's the case, and if they've included the effect
on current operations to Lewisham, then it's probably a Good Thing.

They're not planning to assimilate the railway line between Lewisham and
Catford, are they? I guess not, since that would mean either cutting off
the Mid Kent line to Hayes or building a connection from it to the Catford
loop, to allow trains to get anywhere, and that would be extremely
expensive.

I doubt they'd assimilate the existing line. I imagine construction
along that corridor is relatively easy, as it could follow the River
Ravensbourne (just like the existing line between Greenwich and
Lewisham). You could whack in some stations at Lewisham High St,
Lewisham Hospital, and the greyhound stadium (I think
redevelopment/reuse is expected there), with a nifty little interchange
at Catford / Catford Bridge for Bromley/Orpington and the Hayes line
(which AFAIR alternates between calling at and bypassing Lewisham, so a
"definite" interchange might be another Good Thing).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 14th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I rode the train from Lewisham to Elmer's End back in Sept 2001.
I recall the right-of-way being rather wide, like 3 or 4 tracks,
but my memory is fuzzy...

I don't think that is the case - the Mid Kent line was built with two
tracks and has never been any more than two tracks, nor was land taken
for more than that.

I wonder if perhaps you might be thinking of the line from Lewisham to
Grove Park, which is wider (being the main line) and might well have
the possibility of accommodating a DLR extension (going on to take over
the line to Bromley North). This was mooted when the Lewisham extension
was first discussed in the late 1980s.

Old May 15th 05, 03:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

I agree. DLR extension(s) south of Lewisham would relieve overcrowding at
Lewisham, which is a rail bottleneck. There must be a big potential demand
from wharf workers living in the southeast. A Catford Bridge extension would
allow all Hayes trains to bypass Lewisham. A Bromley North extension would
allow all Dartford loop line trains (via Sidcup) to bypass Lewisham, and
also provide a way to reach the wharf from the main Orpington and Sevenoaks
line.

Old May 15th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

You say 'bottleneck', i say 'hub' . Surely the solution is to increase
capacity at Lewisham, rather than making it harder for people to get
there?

There must be a big potential demand from wharf workers living in the
southeast.

It would have to be a very big demand to make cutting out Lewisham
worthwhile.

tom

--
We'll never win by being like them. Our best tactic is to be better. Better necessarily means different. -- Jon Rentzsch

Old May 15th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 May 2005:

On Sat, 14 May 2005, David Fairthorne wrote:

I agree. DLR extension(s) south of Lewisham would relieve overcrowding
at Lewisham, which is a rail bottleneck.

You say 'bottleneck', i say 'hub' . Surely the solution is to increase
capacity at Lewisham, rather than making it harder for people to get
there?

How would extending the DLR south of Lewisham prevent people from
getting off/interchanging there in the first place?

There must be a big potential demand from wharf workers living in the
southeast.

It would have to be a very big demand to make cutting out Lewisham
worthwhile.

Do feel free to point out how the original poster suggested cutting out
Lewisham?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 15th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Does anyone have any more information on these possibilities?

Not me. Although i did find this very nice map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/pdf/DLRmap.pdf

Which has all sorts of intriguing stuff on it. The Arc of Opportunity!
Some kind of future station on the way to Dagenham Dock (on the LTS line,
rather than the CTRL, i assume). Crossrail going via North Greenwich or
something.

Unfortunately that map's a couple of years out of date now. It's
interesting, though. The stations on the LTS line have been floating
around for a little while, and are generally dependent on government
funding for the development proposals in the area.

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/86
(not much extra info available though!)

That map isn't that out of date though - it just covers pretty much all the
confirmed routes that they're going to be extending the DLR onto first
before they go back to the drawing board and think of where next to go to.

The Dagenhem Dock/Barking Reach extension is still going ahead - the route
has now been 'safefguarded' and they're started doing some preliminary
groundwork in the area to see what the grounds like for building.

http://developments.dlr.co.uk/extens...ails.asp?id=17