Old May 17th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Countdown overhaul

On 17 May 2005 07:12:57 -0700, Boltar
wrote in . com:
Well, I don't think the buses will actually stop working - its just

that
we might not know when they are coming any more.

True in this case. But what about the new trains on Southern that
have to get a GPS signal or they chuck a wobbly, aircraft navigation
systems
etc.

I thought (civilian) aircraft were not authorised to use GPS for
navigation. Has that changed?

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old May 18th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in . com:
Well, I don't think the buses will actually stop working - its just

that
we might not know when they are coming any more.

True in this case. But what about the new trains on Southern that have
to get a GPS signal or they chuck a wobbly, aircraft navigation systems
etc.

I thought (civilian) aircraft were not authorised to use GPS for
navigation.

To use it, or to depend on it?

Has that changed?

Not that i'm aware - i think that's one of the reasons for Galileo, which
will allow things like automatic landings. Once it's operational, i'm off
flying for good.

tom

--
It's amazing how often conversations with you have the imaginary sound of human bones being crushed to rubble in the background. -- itchyfidget, to snowking
Old May 19th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

nTom Anderson typed:

wrote in . com:
Well, I don't think the buses will actually stop working - its
just that we might not know when they are coming any more.

True in this case. But what about the new trains on Southern that
have to get a GPS signal or they chuck a wobbly, aircraft
navigation systems etc.

I thought (civilian) aircraft were not authorised to use GPS for
navigation.

To use it, or to depend on it?

Has that changed?

Not that i'm aware - i think that's one of the reasons for Galileo,
which will allow things like automatic landings. Once it's
operational, i'm off flying for good.

Yes, it won't be as much fun without all those crap landings by human
pilots.

But there's nothing new about automatic landings. I experienced my first
one on a BEA Trident at Heathrow about 40 years ago. They were
sufficiently rare then for all passengers to be presented with a gift to
mark the occasion (tie for men, scarf for women).
--
Richard J.

Old May 20th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Great news. It's a shame to have Countdown displays at bus stops that
tell you the next bus is 8 minutes away, whilst your eyes tell you it's
just pulling up at the stop!

I guess this may help the 'behind the scenes' operation of the bus
network in some ways as well. I also hope that once the information is
better we might see Countdown installed at further major bus stops.

The worries over over-reliance on the GPS system are valid - so I
presume/hope that the new Siemens system will work with both GPS and
Galileo. Though sun spots could still knock them both out of operation,
when we might even have to (shock horror) pull the iPod headphones out
and watch and listen for the arrival of a bus the old fashioned way.

Old May 24th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

When these were recently installed as a trial on some routes in Birmingham,
they didn't work for ages because the software which tracked the buses and
the software which controlled the screens were not compatible with each
other....

oups.com...