Old July 17th 03, 12:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

Dave wrote in message ...
And they replaced the wood on all the wooden escalators (or at least all
that I have seen) save the wooden treads - which are hardly a huge fire
risk.

According to Fennell, the burning of wooden treads released 12984MJ of heat, nearly twice as much as did any other single component of the escalators.

There again, the root cause of King's Cross, and the high death toll, was more to do with inadequate cleaning of the escalators, a lack of practical knowledge on the part of the staff into the safety systems built into the escalators, and a general lack of proper fire safety management.

Old July 17th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote in message ...
I'm not at odds with the above, but didn't the news at the time say the
majority of the death's occurred because of cyanide given of from the
paint used on the barrel of the escalators, and isn't this now
rectified?

IIRC, this was thoroughly investigated, but discounted, by the inquiry. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't have Fennell to hand this evening.