London Banter

-   -   Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/305-marylebone-tube-closed-morning-rush.html)

CJG July 13th 03 05:38 PM

Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

In message , 3518+3227
writes
Presumably, in the morning peak, they think the passenger load would be
too much to bear.

But the evening peak it is? I don't understand that.
--
CJG

3518+3227 July 13th 03 05:47 PM

CJG wrote in message ...
In message , 3518+3227
writes
Presumably, in the morning peak, they think the passenger load would be
too much to bear.

But the evening peak it is? I don't understand that.

The point is as follows. It is considered unreasonable for passengers to have to walk *up* an escalator shaft, therefore an *up* escalator service must be maintained at all times whilst passengers are allowed to exit the station. It is not possible to have a station closed to exiting passengers as it is impossible to prevent people from leaving a train.

At Marylebone, in the morning peak, most passengers will be going down rather than up, therefore - with an up escalator service still having to be maintained - all these passengers will have to use the fixed staircase. Presumably it is considered that this volume of passengers using a narrow staircase would be unsafe.

In the evening peak, however, fewer people will be going downwards, and therefore there is less of a safety risk to people walking down the staircase. Meanwhile, the situation for people leaving the station would be pretty well no different to normal - one up escalator.

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Dave July 13th 03 06:07 PM

Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

CJG writes
Presumably, in the morning peak, they think the passenger load would
be too much to bear.

But the evening peak it is? I don't understand that.

Lots of people arriving at Marylebone main line station in the morning
peak will be transferring to the tube - more people than can be safely
handled by using the fixed stairway.

In the afternoon most people are travelling the other way, so the fixed
stairway can safely accommodate all whose who wish to use it.

--
Dave

Grebbsy McLaren July 14th 03 07:34 AM

Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

It was a dark and stormy night when 3518+3227 wrote in
article ...
CJG wrote in message ...
[...]

And yet at Moorgate (WAGN) the same situation applies without anyone
thinking it's unacceptable?

Grebbsy, stirring
--
"All vampires suck, but not all who suck are vampires."
(--B.J.Kuehl)

:::Grebbsy :::::::lemon curry?:::

Dave July 14th 03 09:54 AM

Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

Grebbsy McLaren writes
And yet at Moorgate (WAGN) the same situation applies without anyone
thinking it's unacceptable?

1. There are alternative routes to the WAGN platform.
2. Are the passenger numbers equivalent?

--
Dave

Matthew P Jones July 14th 03 08:51 PM

Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

wrote on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 -
Grebbsy McLaren writes
And yet at Moorgate (WAGN) the same situation applies without anyone
thinking it's unacceptable?

1. There are alternative routes to the WAGN platform.
2. Are the passenger numbers equivalent?

There certainly seemed to be many people this morning who did not know
about the closure - but to be honest if they controlled the entrance to
the station I would have thought the stairs could have been used. They
could say let 10 people at a time go down, they already have staff their
telling people to go elsewhere.
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it

Colin McKenzie July 16th 03 09:54 AM

3518+3227 wrote:
At Marylebone, in the morning peak, most passengers will be going
down rather than up, therefore - with an up escalator service still
having to be maintained - all these passengers will have to use
the fixed staircase. Presumably it is considered that this volume
of passengers using a narrow staircase would be unsafe.

Especially as at Marylebone passengers will reach the tube station in
lumps rather than evenly spaced - it's a main line terminus with rather
infrequent trains.

This may not apply at Moorgate because more of the passengers get off
before the terminus.

And I for one will mourn the passing of the wooden escalator.

Colin McKenzie

Dave July 16th 03 10:55 AM

Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

Colin McKenzie writes
At Marylebone, in the morning peak, most passengers will be going
down rather than up, therefore - with an up escalator service still
having to be maintained - all these passengers will have to use
the fixed staircase. Presumably it is considered that this volume
of passengers using a narrow staircase would be unsafe.

Especially as at Marylebone passengers will reach the tube station in
lumps rather than evenly spaced - it's a main line terminus with rather
infrequent trains.

This may not apply at Moorgate because more of the passengers get off
before the terminus.

It doesn't apply at Moorgate as you go *down* the escalator to reach the
WAGN platform - so it's the up escalator crowd who arrive in lumps.
Passengers travelling down arrive in dribs and drabs - *and* they have
an alternative route to the WAGN platform (via the Northern line
platform for example).

--
Dave

Richard J. July 16th 03 10:51 PM

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message
3518+3227 wrote:
At Marylebone, in the morning peak, most passengers will be going
down rather than up, therefore - with an up escalator service still
having to be maintained - all these passengers will have to use
the fixed staircase. Presumably it is considered that this volume
of passengers using a narrow staircase would be unsafe.

Especially as at Marylebone passengers will reach the tube station in
lumps rather than evenly spaced - it's a main line terminus with rather
infrequent trains.

This may not apply at Moorgate because more of the passengers get off
before the terminus.

And I for one will mourn the passing of the wooden escalator.

Given that wooden escalators contributed to the severity of the Kings Cross
fire which killed 31 people, that's a particularly insensitive and
thoughtless comment IMHO.
--
Richard J.

Dave July 16th 03 11:28 PM

Marylebone Tube Closed Morning Rush Hour

Richard J. writes
And I for one will mourn the passing of the wooden escalator.

Given that wooden escalators contributed to the severity of the Kings
Cross fire which killed 31 people, that's a particularly insensitive
and thoughtless comment IMHO.

And they replaced the wood on all the wooden escalators (or at least all
that I have seen) save the wooden treads - which are hardly a huge fire
risk.

--
Dave