Old June 17th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR - 'Bank via Canary Wharf'

Anyone know why on the DLR, trains from Lewisham to Bank are always
labelled 'Bank via Canary Wharf' but none of the others are.

All Lewisham trains go via Canary Wharf - and I would've thought it
would make more sense to have the 'via Canary Wharf' bit on the return
route - from Bank to Lewisham where there are some trains from Bank that
don't go via Canary Wharf (i.e. the Beckton ones).

Old June 17th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stevie" wrote in message ...
Anyone know why on the DLR, trains from Lewisham to Bank are always
labelled 'Bank via Canary Wharf' but none of the others are.

All Lewisham trains go via Canary Wharf - and I would've thought it
would make more sense to have the 'via Canary Wharf' bit on the return
route - from Bank to Lewisham where there are some trains from Bank that
don't go via Canary Wharf (i.e. the Beckton ones).

I don't think the Bank to Beckton trains are timetabled ones (I may be
wrong)
They just happen every so often for operational reasons I guess and when
there is engineering work.

Old June 17th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"londoncityslicker" wrote in
message ...

"Stevie" wrote in message
Anyone know why on the DLR, trains from Lewisham to Bank are always
labelled 'Bank via Canary Wharf' but none of the others are.

All Lewisham trains go via Canary Wharf - and I would've thought it
would make more sense to have the 'via Canary Wharf' bit on the return
route - from Bank to Lewisham where there are some trains from Bank that
don't go via Canary Wharf (i.e. the Beckton ones).

I don't think the Bank to Beckton trains are timetabled ones (I may be
wrong)
They just happen every so often for operational reasons I guess and when
there is engineering work.

Oh! So is the normal Bank to Beckton route to go Bank to Canary Wharf, cross
the platform and get a Lewisham to Beckton train? I thought some Bank trains
normally went directly (without change) to Beckton.

"Via Canary Wharf" is redundant: I can't think how a DLR train could get
from Lewisham to Bank, Stratford or Beckton by any route that *didn't* go
via Canary Wharf!

Old June 18th 05, 01:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stevie" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC there used to be a service that ran from Bank to Prince Regent with a
reversal at Canary Wharf but I don't think it lasted very long.

Peter Smyth

Old June 18th 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

londoncityslicker wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 17 Jun 2005:

I don't think the Bank to Beckton trains are timetabled ones (I may be
wrong)
They just happen every so often for operational reasons I guess and when
there is engineering work.

I think there are one or two timetabled during the peaks.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 18th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 18 Jun 2005:

Oh! So is the normal Bank to Beckton route to go Bank to Canary Wharf, cross
the platform and get a Lewisham to Beckton train? I thought some Bank trains
normally went directly (without change) to Beckton.

No, you change at one of the stations before you get there - Westferry
is the designated one, but in practice, when I commuted that way, I
always changed at Limehouse as it was less crowded.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 18th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:

"Via Canary Wharf" is redundant: I can't think how a DLR train could get
from Lewisham to Bank, Stratford or Beckton by any route that *didn't* go
via Canary Wharf!

Exactly! Why bother to say it. In fact, it could actually confuse
people because what could happen is that someone is using the DLR for
the first time at Lewisham to get to Canary Wharf. They see the first
train is for Stratford but the second is for Bank via Canary Wharf.

So, they hang around, waiting for the Bank train when they could've got
the Stratford one. And, I believe it'll get even worse later on this
year when the City Airport branch opens because I think there's plans to
include a Lewisham to King George V (via City Airport) route. So, you
could potentially have 3 different destinations, all going at least as
far as Canary Wharf together but people not knowing this and just
waiting for the Bank train.
Old June 19th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Stevie wrote:
Martin Underwood wrote:

[...]

Services between City Airport and Lewisham will only begin once the
Woolwich Arsenal extension opens; until then, services will run between
Bank and King George V.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 20th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:37:41 +0100, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

londoncityslicker wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 17 Jun 2005:

I don't think the Bank to Beckton trains are timetabled ones (I may be
wrong)
They just happen every so often for operational reasons I guess and when
there is engineering work.

I think there are one or two timetabled during the peaks.

There are some trains that run in service from Gallions Reach to Bank at
the beginning of Peak hours and from Bank to Gallions Reach at the end of
Peak Hours as they manoeuver(sp?) to/from Beckton depot. These aren't
timetable AFAIK.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:18:30 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Services between City Airport and Lewisham will only begin once the
Woolwich Arsenal extension opens; until then, services will run between
Bank and King George V.

The new maps show the route of the extension as being Kings George V to
Shadwell.

Bank is already at capacity, or close to capacity (or rather the
Bank/Tower Gateway junction is) with the Lewisham services I doubt they'd
be able to fit any more in there and they can't take any out as the trains
are crowded as it is.
Old June 21st 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

The information I have is from DLR themselves, so I'm pretty certain
trains will run into Bank. I don't think the junction at Royal Mint St
is at capacity right now; it certainly can't handle the anticipated
increase in demand for DLR services in a few years' time, which is why
3-unit trains will be introduced.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7