Old July 19th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tunnel damage

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"mtveurope" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just read this from the tube's website on the ask tube section
"Question

When will the Tubes be returning to normal after the events of 7 July?

Answer

We will not be in a position to add to the current level of service on
the Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines for a
number of days.

The service on the Piccadilly line will remain suspended between Arnos
Grove and Hyde Park Corner for the foreseeable future.

Following agreement with the Police, the Victoria line is now stopping
at King's Cross/St Pancras. The Northern line will start stopping at
King's Cross/St Pancras again from Monday 17 July."

Why is so much of the Piccadilly line closed? I'd have thought they could
run trains to within a station or so either side of the blockage. Or does
the damage to the cable between KX and RS have a knock-on effect on *all*
of the section north of KX? Is it a matter of where there are crossovers
to allow southbound trains to turn back at (say) KX to return north? You'd
think that at least Arnos Grove to Finsbury Park could be run, so as to
feed outlying passengers into the Victoria line and the NR lines into KX
and Moorgate.

Not knowing the line geography (except it goes to Heathrow) I'd say it's to
do with reversing points. I'm sure that these are the most time efficient
places to reverse. Maybe there's sidings or cross overs to enable a quick
turn round and thus still give a reasonable service to the rest of the line.

Loony T

Old July 20th 05, 06:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:40:28 on
Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Robert Woolley
remarked:
The crime scene is very close to the trailing crossover just south of
Kings Cross hence the closure.

There are no other crossovers between Arnos and Hyde Park Corner.

Why can't they run a "one train on the line" shuttle service on both the
tracks simultaneously? Over strategic sections: eg from Green Park to
Holborn and back. And Kings Cross to Finsbury Park and back.

Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?
Old July 20th 05, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?

I suspect that demand would so far strip supply that the platforms would
be dangerously overcrowded.

isolating the power so that work around Kings X may be tricky.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Old July 20th 05, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:14:16 on Wed,
20 Jul 2005, Mike Bristow remarked:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?

I suspect that demand would so far strip supply that the platforms would
be dangerously overcrowded.

I was suggesting fairly short runs, with one train in each tunnel. You'd
get about one every 10 minutes I suppose.

isolating the power so that work around Kings X may be tricky.

Just lift the rails for a short section south of the station.

But I agree that you'd have to see where the power feed was, and make
sure that was sufficient within the proposed schemes.
Old July 20th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin Mayes
writes

Yes, the cable run suffered from extensive damage. Don't forget that even
once the signalling cables have been replaced, extensive testing needs to be
carried out to ensure the rewiring is done correctly. Luckily, most of
Aldgate was resignalled during the late 1980s so the diagrams should be
available.

Having recently retired from a life time of supporting, modifying and
replacing 'legacy' IT systems allow me to express some doubt. Most
'legacy' IT systems are less than ten years old and their documentation
invariably leaves much to be desired, no matter how good it was when the
system was implemented.

The two pointers that I can see to suggest there might be problems are
age and the fact that responsibility for maintenance has been
transferred to an out-sourcing company. When ever a transfer takes
place, there is a dreadful tendency to 'rationalise' documentation and
in so doing loose the essential data.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old July 20th 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"mtveurope" wrote in message
[...]

Times may well have changed and this may not be an issue now, but one other
potential problem is that this also severs the Northern Line from the rest
of the underground network? The only connection between the Northern and the
rest of the underground is provided by the Kings Cross loop which is
(presumably) out of use for the time that the Piccadilly is split in two
like this? This was probably more important when Acton was the Central Works
but it also prevents engineers trains etc from reaching the Northern, which
could make track maintenance etc more difficult.

Old July 20th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland
Perry writes
isolating the power so that work around Kings X may be tricky.

Just lift the rails for a short section south of the station.

But I agree that you'd have to see where the power feed was, and make
sure that was sufficient within the proposed schemes.

In the central section, a current section might only be a few hundred
yards long and is easily isolated by touching the telephone wires
together and laying down short circuiting bars in the section.
--
Clive
Old July 20th 05, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:
How many cars were removed by rail Earlier reports said that the rear
four cars of the Piccadilly train would be removed by rail towards
King's Cross while presumably the rear three car unit would have been
the simplest. The Circle trains are two-car units so at least one of
them should have been able to be removed by rail.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Aren't Picc trains six cars? (3-3)