Old July 22nd 05, 04:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Complaints prompt upgrade for station

From Watford Observer, Friday, July 22, 2005

Complaints prompt upgrade for station

UPGRADE works will be carried out at Bushey station in September,
following complaints from residents and councillors about the state of
the station.
A Silverlink representative said that the handrails and stairwells
would be painted to smarten the place up and that the station's
general manager was already arranging the replacement of damaged panels
on one of the platform shelters.
He said "With regard to an additional shelter on the London bound
platform, we are investigating the options as the platform may be too
narrow to allow one for health and safety reasons. We are looking at
putting some kind of shelter there, but it may not be possible."
However, he said that nothing could be done about the state of the
underpass as the damage is being caused by water coming through from
the tracks above and this is a problem for Network Rail to deal with.
He said: " We are currently talking to Network Rail to get a
timescale on repairs and find out what they need to do. There would be
no point in painting down there until this problem is sorted out."
Decorating on the stairwells cannot begin immediately as health and
safety assessments must be carried out first.
Watford Mayor, Dorothy Thornhill, and Oxhey councillor, Tony Poole,
met with the station Silverlink's retail manager recently after they
received complaints about the station.
They discussed the poor state of the shelter on Platform 6, the
condition of the stairwells and the state of the footpath to Kingsfield
Road as well as the prospect of an additional shelter.
Councillor Poole said: "I have criticised Silverlink in the past,
but it is only fair to say they do seem to be listening and
co-operating. But, along with passengers , I will be happier when I see
the work actually happening."
Mayor Thornhill said: "We want to work in partnership with any body
that provides facilities for our residents and will work with
Silverlink and others to improve the station.
"It's a vital link for local residents and we think more could be
done to improve the station and this is usage."
A spokesman for Silverlink said they had looked over the maps and the
footpath in question is not rented by the company and, therefore, is
not its responsibility.

.................................................. ................................................
John Burke
Watford Rail Users Group

Old July 22nd 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

burkey ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Decorating on the stairwells cannot begin immediately as health and
safety assessments must be carried out first.

shakes head sadly

There's a *world* of difference between ensuring that you don't
"accidentally" kill people and having to delay painting some flamin'
railings for "H&S assessments".

Is this the first time Silverlink have ever painted railings?
Old July 22nd 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

He said "With regard to an additional shelter on the London bound
platform, we are investigating the options as the platform may be too
narrow to allow one for health and safety reasons. We are looking at
putting some kind of shelter there, but it may not be possible."

Which London bound platform?

Old July 22nd 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Platform 6, Up Slow. Bushey stoppers do not normally serve the up fast
platform.

John Burke
WRUG

Old July 22nd 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

burkey wrote:
Platform 6, Up Slow. Bushey stoppers do not normally serve the up fast
platform.

Yes, but there are also platforms on the DC lines, which is why I asked
the question.

Old July 24th 05, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
burkey ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Decorating on the stairwells cannot begin immediately as health and
safety assessments must be carried out first.

shakes head sadly

There's a *world* of difference between ensuring that you don't
"accidentally" kill people and having to delay painting some flamin'
railings for "H&S assessments".

Is this the first time Silverlink have ever painted railings?

But there's so much to risk assess - people getting wet paint on them,
putting foot in paint tin, accidently being stabbed in eye by paint brush,
"wet paint" sign being blown loose by passing train and decapitating young
child, meteor hitting station.... etc. etc..

Good old H&S - a goldmine when it comes to coming up for excuses why things
can't be done...

Paul