Old July 24th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

Default Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot

David from Oz wrote:
"common sense is used when choosing camera sites!"

Hehehehe , I think most people can provide an example of where this is not
the case.

Usually "profitability" is used when choosing those sites

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old July 24th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

Dave wrote:
Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful
pilot
The Times reports (article 23rd July entitiled "Box junctions to be
policed by camera") that following the success of trial in 6 boroughs
where there was a 23% reduction in the number of motorists stopping in
yellow boxes, box-junction cameras are to be offered to all 33 councils
in London. The pilot scheme involved 96,000 penalty charge (£50 or
£100) notices being issued during the trial, including 31,000 that
were issued to drivers stopping in box junctions, 1,700 issued to
motorists ignoring no entry signs, and 10,000 given to motorists for
driving where vehicles are not permitted.

As these are rolled out London wide, hopefully more road users will see
the benefits of reduced congestion. I will be writing to my council
suggesting a couple of areas where they might consider putting a box
junction camera, where I have seen drivers causing congestion by
breaking box junction rules. Other readers here may consider doing the
same.

Cool, I can't wait to hear what the speeding mob have to say about it.
They'll probably be moaning like they do about the speed cameras. If
only they could have cameras for every (or almost every) offence.

Old July 24th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Chris wrote:

HC.150: "... You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is
clear."

There's a nice illustrated copy of the box junctions section of the
Highway Code at http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.htm#150

The HC of course is not the law, but where it says MUST or MUST NOT it
is saying what the law is.

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself
Old July 24th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mitchum wrote:
How do these work. I am particularly thinking of the case where
people have stopped in them to turn right?

You should NOT enter a box junction unless your exit is CLEAR. And
you should be prepared to SLOW DOWN and STOP before a box junction
if your exit is NOT clear.

If you found yourself stuck in a box junction, could you just put
on your right indicator to try and "save" yourself?

If you follow the rules, you should not get stuck in a box
junction. If you do, then you've failed and expect to get the
necessary punishment for your failure to know the highway code.

Right-turning traffic, which IS allowed to stop in the box, might be
prevented from turning at the end of the green phase by a jam in the
road they want to enter.

Also, you may want to go straight across the junction, but after
entering the yellow box, a vehicle in another lane overtakes you and
occupies the one remaining space in your lane beyond the junction.

Are you suggesting that punishment is deserved for getting stuck in the
box in these cases?

--
Richard J.

Old July 24th 05, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Right-turning traffic, which IS allowed to stop in the box, might be
prevented from turning at the end of the green phase by a jam in the
road they want to enter.

You are only allowed to enter to turn right if your exit is clear so
the only obstruction is oncoming traffic in the road you are turning
out of.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 24th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , John Rowland

I've only ever had one fine for entering a box and that was on a
roundabout at the top of the Tyne Tunnel in rush hour. Its a notorious
spot and the police sit on the central reservation taking registration
numbers. I had no choice because car drivers refused to obey the
Highway Code thus meaning that the large gap I left to get my 53ft long
vehicle into was filled with cars as I was actually driving into it
thus leaving me hanging 6ft over it.

At least you knew the length of your vehicle, unlike the truck driver who I
saw driving onto a box junction at a level crossing only to come to a halt
with much of the truck being on the crossing. Not only stupid but
exceedingly dangerous. Or if not dangerous, could have caused delays as they
would have been unable to close the crossing till he moved off.

Old July 24th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave wrote:
Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful
pilot

Cool, I can't wait to hear what the speeding mob have to say about it.
They'll probably be moaning like they do about the speed cameras. If
only they could have cameras for every (or almost every) offence.

Like poor lane discipline (see another ongoing thread).

Old July 24th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message

The HC of course is not the law

Just as well...

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/22.htm#217

It says "do not stop [... ] at or near a bus stop or taxi rank" and doesn't
exempt buses and taxis.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 24th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:39:18 +0100, John Rowland wrote:

I have found a box junction where you can't see whether
the exit is clear until you have already entered it. I have
also found a box junction on the brow of a hill where you
have no idea how far the box extends until you have
already entered it.

Where are they?

I can't remember.

Incidentally, at Palmers Green the North Circular is a dual carriageway, and
if you are crossing it on Green Lanes you cross two separate box junctions.
People turning right onto the NCR tend to queue over both boxes, but am I
right in thinking that legally they are only allowed to queue over the
second box? It takes fairly sharp eyes to even realise that there are two
box junctions rather than one, especially in the dark.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped