London Banter

-   -   Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3326-box-junction-cameras-rolled-london.html)

Dave July 24th 05 10:48 AM

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful
pilot
The Times reports (article 23rd July entitiled "Box junctions to be
policed by camera") that following the success of trial in 6 boroughs
where there was a 23% reduction in the number of motorists stopping in
yellow boxes, box-junction cameras are to be offered to all 33 councils
in London. The pilot scheme involved 96,000 penalty charge (£50 or
£100) notices being issued during the trial, including 31,000 that
were issued to drivers stopping in box junctions, 1,700 issued to
motorists ignoring no entry signs, and 10,000 given to motorists for
driving where vehicles are not permitted.

As these are rolled out London wide, hopefully more road users will see
the benefits of reduced congestion. I will be writing to my council
suggesting a couple of areas where they might consider putting a box
junction camera, where I have seen drivers causing congestion by
breaking box junction rules. Other readers here may consider doing the
same.

Dave

Sean July 24th 05 11:02 AM

Dave wrote:

[...]

How do these work. I am particularly thinking of the case where people have
stopped in them to turn right?

If you found yourself stuck in a box junction, could you just put on your
right indicator to try and "save" yourself?

Sean

Daytona July 24th 05 12:38 PM

"Dave" wrote:

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful
pilot

They're morons, as are the politicians who passed the law. The law has
not been drafted correctly -

Legal to stop -

Turning right & oncoming traffic
Turning right & queued behind vehicle turning right (the reasons for
the vehicle in at the head of the queue not completing the move are
irrelevant)
Not turning right and not blocked by stationary vehicles

Illegal to stop -

At head of a queue turning right & no oncoming traffic
Not turning right and blocked by stationary vehicles

Legal to remain stationary -

Turning right & oncoming traffic
Turning right & queued behind vehicle turning right (the reasons for
the vehicle in at the head of the queue not completing the move are
irrelevant)
Not turning right.

Illegal to remain stationary -

At head of a queue turning right & no oncoming traffic

Mitchum July 24th 05 01:03 PM

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot

How do these work. I am particularly thinking of the case where people
have
stopped in them to turn right?

You should NOT enter a box junction unless your exit is CLEAR. And you
should be prepared to SLOW DOWN and STOP before a box junction if your exit
is NOT clear.

If you found yourself stuck in a box junction, could you just put on your
right indicator to try and "save" yourself?

If you follow the rules, you should not get stuck in a box junction. If you
do, then you've failed and expect to get the necessary punishment for your
failure to know the highway code.

Chris July 24th 05 01:51 PM

Sean wrote:

If you found yourself stuck in a box junction, could you just put on your
right indicator to try and "save" yourself?

Sean

If you "find yourself stuck in a box junction" I would suggest you
aren't doing it right:

HC.150: "... You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is
clear."

--
Chris

John Rowland July 24th 05 02:39 PM

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London
wide following successful pilot

I have found a box junction where you can't see whether the exit is clear
until you have already entered it. I have also found a box junction on the
brow of a hill where you have no idea how far the box extends until you have
already entered it. While I can't stand people who habitually block
junctions, professional drivers will find it very hard not to get a fine a
week

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Chris Tolley July 24th 05 03:21 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:39:18 +0100, John Rowland wrote:

I have found a box junction where you can't see whether the exit is clear
until you have already entered it. I have also found a box junction on the
brow of a hill where you have no idea how far the box extends until you have
already entered it.

Where are they?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9680378.html
(87 029 at Wolverhampton in 1979 - why only paint half the springs?)

Mizter T July 24th 05 03:31 PM

Daytona wrote:
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that info, I was not aware on the exemptions for right
turning vehicles, and I'm very glad they exist. I live near a box
junction that's on a main road where I often turn right. If I was to
stay out of the yellow box then I'd block all the traffic behind me (on
a major road), the vast majority of which is carrying straight on over
the junction. So I stop in the middle of the junction, waiting for a
gap in the oncoming traffic so I can execute my right turn, and leaving
the route clear for vehicles behind me to continue straight over.
Before reading this, I always thought I was technically in the wrong,
but it'd appear not.

David from Oz July 24th 05 03:52 PM

John Rowland wrote:

"professional drivers will find it very hard not to get a fine a week"

This statement assumes that box junction cameras will be used at such
junctions, something that is not likely to happen if the box junction
is of the type described and common sense is used when choosing camera
sites!

Conor July 24th 05 04:14 PM

Box Junction cameras to be rolled London wide following successful pilot

In article , John Rowland
says...
While I can't stand people who habitually block
junctions, professional drivers will find it very hard not to get a fine a
week

********.

I've only ever had one fine for entering a box and that was on a
roundabout at the top of the Tyne Tunnel in rush hour. Its a notorious
spot and the police sit on the central reservation taking registration
numbers. I had no choice because car drivers refused to obey the
Highway Code thus meaning that the large gap I left to get my 53ft long
vehicle into was filled with cars as I was actually driving into it
thus leaving me hanging 6ft over it.

--
Conor