Old August 4th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster & tube .. not scanning in

I couldn't find the Oyster card points at Olympia last night (probably
because I was fuelled by 10 pints of Great British Ale) ... I honestly did
underground bloke who let me through with the words "You've saved yourself a
lot of money". So, my question is, how much is the fine for not scanning in
& out and only doing it on the way out. I guess maximum fare, but what is
that?

Thanks

Old August 4th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"elyob" typed

I couldn't find the Oyster card points at Olympia last night (probably
because I was fuelled by 10 pints of Great British Ale) ... I honestly did
underground bloke who let me through with the words "You've saved
yourself a
lot of money". So, my question is, how much is the fine for not scanning in
& out and only doing it on the way out. I guess maximum fare, but what is
that?

Thanks

The £20 Penalty Fare I believe... (not the 6 zone top whack fare.
Off-peak, thats only £2 anyway)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 4th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"elyob" typed

I couldn't find the Oyster card points at Olympia last night (probably
because I was fuelled by 10 pints of Great British Ale) ... I honestly
did
an
underground bloke who let me through with the words "You've saved
yourself a
lot of money". So, my question is, how much is the fine for not scanning
in
& out and only doing it on the way out. I guess maximum fare, but what is
that?

Thanks

The £20 Penalty Fare I believe... (not the 6 zone top whack fare.
Off-peak, thats only £2 anyway)

Phew! Any idea where the Oyster points are at Olympia, I really couldn't
find them!

I was considering slipping through behind my mate, but decided honesty was
the best policy. In the state I was in, I'm impressed the bloke took me
seriously!

This all started because the stupid machine at my local railway station sold
me a cheap day return and not a travelcard [1]. So, all in all, with my £2
to get to olympia and my £4 cheap day return, I ended up paying a travelcard
price. So am happy enough with the result, and glad I didn't end up paying
£26.

Nick

[1] The button said "Cheap Day Return/Travelcard" and I pressed "London".
Maybe I didn't read it properly.

Old August 4th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

You've got to remember that altough penalty fares do exist for most of
the time, you can still get much tougher treatment such as a court
summons to explain your actions which in turn could lead to hefty fines
and a criminal record.

You'll usually know it's the case when a revenue protection inspector
is accompanied by a police officer (for their protection now doubt
rather than to arrest you!)

Old August 4th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The £20 Penalty Fare I believe

Must have changed, I've been in the situation where I've boarded at
Ealing after a transfer from a FGWL, bleeped in on the platform on my
run to the train, but it didn't register.

Got charged about £3.xx when I got to white city.

As for the Olympia oyster readers, they aren't very clear as they
aren't by the gate entrance, they are on the platform about 1/3 and 2/3
down the car.

How do you touch in if there are RPIs on the platform entrance?

Old August 4th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

elyob wrote:
I couldn't find the Oyster card points at Olympia last night (probably
because I was fuelled by 10 pints of Great British Ale) ... I honestly did
underground bloke who let me through with the words "You've saved yourself a
lot of money". So, my question is, how much is the fine for not scanning in
& out and only doing it on the way out. I guess maximum fare, but what is
that?

Thanks

What's not quite clear from your post is whether or not you touched
your Oyster card on a reader on your way out (i.e. when you spoke to
the member of staff at your destination station)?

Anyway you may have found one of the chinks in the Oyster card armour
that I realised existed in the early days of Pre Pay, but haven't
posted about before because... well, just because.

Technically if you have enetered a station without a valid ticket or
having validated your Oyster card (as you did) you are liable to a £20
penalty fare. However you'll only be the recipient of this dubious
honour if your ticket or Oyster card is checked en-route by a Revenue
Protection Inspector, which is not that common an event when travelling
on the Underground (especially late in the evening).

Instead if you don't touch in, but instead only touch out when leaving
the system (i.e. either go through some automatic gates or touch your
card on the reader) then London Underground, in it's Oyster card
publicity (and in this Ask Oyster - http://tinyurl.com/7fftw) states
that "you are likely to pay more than you need for your journeys".

This would seem to suggest that if you don't touch in and touch out on
each trip then you'll get charged the maximum possible fare of £3.50,
or £2.00 after 7pm and at weekends [1]. The logic being that unless
you explicitly inform the system of your start and end points (by
touching in and out), then you could've travelled through all six zones
and you should be charged as such.

Whilst I've heard of this happening to people, when I've forgotten to
both touch in or out I've found that I've been charged the lowest
possible fare from the station (as opposed to the highest). Indeed I
did this very recently and only been charged £1.10, as opposed to
£3.50. If you do this you'll notice that it's recorded on your card as
an 'Incomplete Journey' if you view your journey history on a ticket
machine.

Perhaps Oyster readers at some stations are programmed to charge the
full whack, whilst others are more leniant?

[1] I am aware that there are higher possible fares for journeys
including Zones A-D on the Met, but I think it's unlikely that you'd be
charged these as a penalty for failing to touch-in or touch-out -
unless you only touched-in or touched-out at one of the Zone A-D
stations.)

Old August 4th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Technically if you have enetered a station without a valid ticket or
having validated your Oyster card (as you did) you are liable to a £20
penalty fare.

On TV a while ago a Tube Revenue Inspector mentioned that they almost
always report everyone they catch for fare evasion to appear in court
unless they are not resident in this country or have a reasonable
excuse.

Old August 4th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

elyob wrote:

Phew! Any idea where the Oyster points are at Olympia, I really couldn't
find them!

There are two.

They are on the platform, a little way down. I remember them being by
the side of a shelter or something.

Tim
Old August 4th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tim Bray wrote:
elyob wrote:

Phew! Any idea where the Oyster points are at Olympia, I really couldn't
find them!

There are two.

They are on the platform, a little way down. I remember them being by
the side of a shelter or something.

They are (roughly) opposite the red light at the end of the LuL track.

(I quite liked the Exmoor Gold...)

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver