Old August 17th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Licencing reforms & the tube

An idle thought...

The pub licencing hours are currently - as you may have heard... - being
overhauled (finally), with the result that a lot of pubs may well be open
later into the night.

Let's assume that the doom'n'gloom scenario doesn't happen, and we don't
descend into a Tracy Emin reinterpretation of a Hogarth painting. I'm an
optimist on this one - any initial chaos will soon disappear, and we'll be
better off than currently. I hope.

Anyway - The question is... Will LU reflect this in extending the time of
the last trains? It's a bit pointless pubs applying for later licences if
people still have to leave at the same time to get home.

Old August 17th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:
An idle thought...

The pub licencing hours are currently - as you may have heard... -
being overhauled (finally), with the result that a lot of pubs may
well be open later into the night.

Let's assume that the doom'n'gloom scenario doesn't happen, and we
don't descend into a Tracy Emin reinterpretation of a Hogarth
painting. I'm an optimist on this one - any initial chaos will soon
disappear, and we'll be better off than currently. I hope.

Anyway - The question is... Will LU reflect this in extending the
time of the last trains? It's a bit pointless pubs applying for
later licences if people still have to leave at the same time to
get home.

There was consultation about extending the Friday and Saturday operating
hours by an hour, but it would have to be reflected in a later start on
Saturday and Sunday mornings to preserve the overnight maintenance
periods. LU say that they would plan to implement the changes in
December 2006 if the Mayor decides to go ahead with them.

Otherwise, use night buses. Or perhaps people should finish their
drinking at a pub within walking distance of home.

--
Richard J.

Old August 18th 05, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Otherwise, use night buses.

There's a tube station at the end of my road.

The nearest a Night Bus gets to me is about 15 miles away.

Or perhaps people should finish their drinking at a pub within walking
distance of home.

I'd have thought Ken wanted people to be out in Central London?
Old August 18th 05, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't see that it is LU's responsibility to get people home just
because pub opening hours are longer. If people must insist in drinking
until 2 am get a taxi or a night bus or move closer to the pub, or
choose a pub wihin walking distance. This problem will be nationwide
and not just in London but the whole business of the new licencing laws
seems to be ill conceived but then most of what nu-Labour does seems to
finish up as f**k-up, just look at child tax credits.

Kevin

Old August 18th 05, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:48:50 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"

I don't see that it is LU's responsibility to get people home just
because pub opening hours are longer. If people must insist in
drinking until 2 am get a taxi or a night bus or move closer to the
pub, or choose a pub wihin walking distance. This problem will be
nationwide and not just in London but the whole business of the new
licencing laws seems to be ill conceived but then most of what
nu-Labour does seems to finish up as f**k-up, just look at child tax
credits.

Perhaps it's more the case that they're withdrawing what was imposed as a
temporary measure?

I don't think it fair that LU should stay open later to accomodate
late night revellers, whilst starting later in the mornings, causing
hard working Londoners grief in getting to work. It's us Londoners
that keep London going.

Or is it true that Britain is becoming a Leisure and Tourism culture
and sod the worker???

Life without sex just isn't life.
Make love not war!
Old August 18th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
An idle thought...

The pub licencing hours are currently - as you may have heard... - being
overhauled (finally), with the result that a lot of pubs may well be open
later into the night.

Let's assume that the doom'n'gloom scenario doesn't happen, and we don't
descend into a Tracy Emin reinterpretation of a Hogarth painting. I'm an
optimist on this one - any initial chaos will soon disappear, and we'll be
better off than currently. I hope.

Anyway - The question is... Will LU reflect this in extending the time of
the last trains? It's a bit pointless pubs applying for later licences if
people still have to leave at the same time to get home.

I suppose people will have to drink in a pub near home.

I don't see why the tube should close at night. People will say it is for
engineering work to be carried out. Hooey. EW starts at about 1:00am and
finishes at about 4:30 or 5:00am - and what is done in those 3-4hrs? As
Michael Kenyon showed, very little. The only way to get things done on the
track is by line closures. The Central Line closed last year for months -
unfortunaltely LUL did not have the money to make use of the time to do
large-scale work. But it showed that LUL *can* close a line for a few months
and get everything done.

The Northern Line has at least twice closed the Bank Branch in the quiet
months of July/August to put more speed restrictions in

I say let three or four lines run all night long, with trains about every 10
minutes.

Old August 18th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Christine ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I don't think it fair that LU should stay open later to accomodate
late night revellers, whilst starting later in the mornings, causing
hard working Londoners grief in getting to work. It's us Londoners
that keep London going.

How busy are the trains at 5.30am?

And do they really use the full close-time every night?

Are other similar systems closed for five hours every night?
Old August 18th 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:48:50 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"

I don't see that it is LU's responsibility to get people home just
because pub opening hours are longer. If people must insist in
drinking until 2 am get a taxi or a night bus or move closer to the
pub, or choose a pub wihin walking distance. This problem will be
nationwide and not just in London but the whole business of the new
licencing laws seems to be ill conceived but then most of what
nu-Labour does seems to finish up as f**k-up, just look at child tax
credits.

Perhaps it's more the case that they're withdrawing what was imposed as a
temporary measure?

Income tax was once a temorary measure...

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old August 18th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"James Farrar" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:48:50 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"

I don't see that it is LU's responsibility to get people home just
because pub opening hours are longer. If people must insist in
drinking until 2 am get a taxi or a night bus or move closer to the
pub, or choose a pub wihin walking distance. This problem will be
nationwide and not just in London but the whole business of the new
licencing laws seems to be ill conceived but then most of what
nu-Labour does seems to finish up as f**k-up, just look at child tax
credits.

Perhaps it's more the case that they're withdrawing what was imposed as a
temporary measure?

Income tax was once a temorary measure...

Perfectly true, but so what?