Old September 6th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default HST at Waterloo today

gwr4090 wrote:
Must have been the sleeper stock with a 57 at either end ?

Yes, that sounds much more likely than an HST. These are all in
pink/purple for a long time now. Even those taken on after Midland
Main Line finished with them were reliveried before being put into fGW
service.

PhilD

Old September 6th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , gwr4090
writes
Must have been the sleeper stock with a 57 at either end ?

I've never seen a 57 though I have worked on the 47's and this was
definitely HST power cars.
--
Clive
Old September 6th 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:45:01 +0100, Clive
wrote:

In message , gwr4090
writes
Must have been the sleeper stock with a 57 at either end ?

I've never seen a 57 though I have worked on the 47's and this was
definitely HST power cars.

Living next to and commuting daily on the GWML, I haven't seen the
green livery for many months now.

Duncan.
Old September 14th 05, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:

By the way, just to stir up things a little, why does the HST have
Paxman units

Is this a starter for 10? ;-)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10755018.html
(Merchant Navy 35028 steam-cleaning the rails at Canterbury W in 1995)
Old September 14th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Chris Tolley
writes
By the way, just to stir up things a little, why does the HST have
Paxman units

Is this a starter for 10? ;-)

This was a serious question based on the unreliability of the Paxman
units in D830 which were even more unreliable than the MAN units, which
there selves were less reliable than the Maybach units.
But if you want then yes, your starter for 10, why does the HSTs have
Paxman units?
--
Clive

Old September 15th 05, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
By the way, just to stir up things a little, why does the HST have
Paxman units

Is this a starter for 10? ;-)

This was a serious question based on the unreliability of the Paxman
units in D830

I know. Mine was just a light-hearted remark based on the fact that Paxo
presents University Challenge.

But to address yours, the fact that a manufacturer comes up with one
particular product that may not be very good in one particular
application is not a guarantee either that all other products from that
manufacturer will prove poor, or even that the original flop won't do
well in another context. Not every Ford was an Edsel.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12028680.html
(Bubble car 960 021 in Railtrack livery (mostly!) at Aylesbury in 2004)
Old September 15th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Chris Tolley
writes
Not every Ford was an Edsel.

For it's day, I don't think there was anything wrong with the Edsel,
apart from its name, indeed they are now very valuable collectors items
in the States.
--
Clive
Old September 16th 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:

In message , Chris Tolley
writes
Not every Ford was an Edsel.

For it's day, I don't think there was anything wrong with the Edsel,
apart from its name, indeed they are now very valuable collectors items
in the States.

I know. However, the Edsel legend is built around the simple truth that
people declined to buy it. That's why I thought it appropriate to use as
an analogy in the context of the original question.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9946359.html
(156 449 in Scotrail colours, matching the footbridge, Dumfries, 2004)