Old July 16th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wanted - LUL Type Whistles

Does anyone know where I can obtain a whistle (or more specifically, 2
or possibly 3) that fits the following requirements?

1) Sounds the same as, or very similar to, a tube train whistle
(specifically 38 Stock).
2) Can be modified to run off compressed air at about 30psi or less.
3) Would be small enough to fit somewhere in or on a 7.25" gauge tube
car. (I.e. less than a foot or so in length).

Any help would be appreciated. 3-chime whistles aren't hard to come by,
but ones with the correct sound appear to be.
I can't afford to go for original 38 stock whistles, as there's no way I
could afford it or guarantee being able to get more than one.

If you want to e-mail me off group, replace news@ with anything else.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

Old July 16th 03, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Spyke
wrote:
Does anyone know where I can obtain a whistle (or more specifically, 2
or possibly 3) that fits the following requirements?

1) Sounds the same as, or very similar to, a tube train whistle
(specifically 38 Stock).
2) Can be modified to run off compressed air at about 30psi or less.
3) Would be small enough to fit somewhere in or on a 7.25" gauge tube
car. (I.e. less than a foot or so in length).

Any help would be appreciated. 3-chime whistles aren't hard to come by,
but ones with the correct sound appear to be.
I can't afford to go for original 38 stock whistles, as there's no way I
could afford it or guarantee being able to get more than one.

If you want to e-mail me off group, replace news@ with anything else.

8************************************************8

The pitch of whistles is directly related to their length -
making them smaller necessarilly means raising the pitch. If all
you care about is the SOUND, then fitting pipes to the correct
pitch may involve coiling them. An open-ended pipe is half a
wavelength and closed-end pipe is quarter of a wavelength and there
is a difference in sound quality between the two. Luckily,
quarter-wavelength is more common. The wavelength is

wavelength (Metres)= speed of sound (300 M/sec) / Hertz
(cycles/second)

Get a specification of the whistles (it may be a "chord", more
than one note) and get an organ builder to make it for you. The real
thing would sound most authentic - have you any pals in the workshops?

Michael Bell
Old July 17th 03, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Michael Bell
writes
Get a specification of the whistles (it may be a "chord", more
than one note) and get an organ builder to make it for you. The real
thing would sound most authentic - have you any pals in the workshops?

Thanks,
Next question is therefore, where can I find out the specifications for
the whistle? (I know they're 3-chime but that's about it).
I have a friend in LU but he works in the S&T department, so would not
deal with them generally, though I will ask him.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know, the dimensions of LU whistles,
their minimum operating pressure, who supplies them, what they cost, and
if LU would be amenable to selling a couple?
Old July 17th 03, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Spyke
wrote:
In message , Michael Bell
writes
Get a specification of the whistles (it may be a "chord", more
than one note) and get an organ builder to make it for you. The real
thing would sound most authentic - have you any pals in the workshops?

Thanks,
Next question is therefore, where can I find out the specifications for
the whistle? (I know they're 3-chime but that's about it).
I have a friend in LU but he works in the S&T department, so would not
deal with them generally, though I will ask him.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know, the dimensions of LU whistles,
their minimum operating pressure, who supplies them, what they cost, and
if LU would be amenable to selling a couple?

If you know the supplier's name, they would probably tell
what the notes of the 3-chime are, it may even be on an on-line
catalogue! The The basic point is that whistles are NOT minaturisable.
Probably the simplest and most practicable for a model (I am correct
in thinking that that is the intended use?) is to sample the sound and
play it back using a loudspeaker. A music shop could do it for you. Or
the suppliers of the real thing?

--

Michael Bell

Old July 17th 03, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Spyke wrote in message ...
In message , Michael Bell
writes
Get a specification of the whistles (it may be a "chord", more
than one note) and get an organ builder to make it for you. The real
thing would sound most authentic - have you any pals in the workshops?

Thanks,
Next question is therefore, where can I find out the specifications for
the whistle? (I know they're 3-chime but that's about it).
I have a friend in LU but he works in the S&T department, so would not
deal with them generally, though I will ask him.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know, the dimensions of LU whistles,
their minimum operating pressure, who supplies them, what they cost, and
if LU would be amenable to selling a couple?

As a musician with an ear (not blowing my own trumpet - and excuse the
pun) if you can get hold of a recording of a whistle prefferably a
clear one and yes I have heard the recording at squarewheels, then
perhaps I could try and 'ear' the chord that is being played, if this
helps of course? If you think I can help drop me a mail:

Old July 18th 03, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Nathan
Whitington writes

As a musician with an ear (not blowing my own trumpet - and excuse the
pun) if you can get hold of a recording of a whistle prefferably a
clear one and yes I have heard the recording at squarewheels, then
perhaps I could try and 'ear' the chord that is being played, if this
helps of course? If you think I can help drop me a mail:

Nathan,
Thanks for the offer. The only one I have at the moment is the one from
squarewheels, however I have a couple of videos featuring 38 stock which
might well have whistle sounds on them. If I can capture a clear enough
one, I'll let you know.
Old July 18th 03, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Zinckgraf
writes

You are correct in thinking it is for a model, however it is 7.25"
Gauge (i.e. 1/8 scale), and so there is a fair amount of room within
the bodyshell or on the chassis where a full size whistle could be
mounted,

sorry, I can't help you with your whistle problem, so please forgive me
for being so nosey: A 1/8 scale model of an Undergound train is going
to be a pretty big piece of machinery. What kind of track arrangement
do you use? Is there a public display of this model and the tracks or
are there any pictures on the web? I'm just thinking of a garden
railway built entirely underground...

I've created a website dedicated to it at
http://www.littleredtrain.co.uk

We use standard 7.25" gauge track as found on most park-type miniature
railways. We have about 350ft of portable track for use at fetes etc,
and the train can also be run at permanent miniature railways (e.g. the
Great Cockcrow Railway in Chertsey).

So far we haven't fixed any 'public' running dates, as along with the
whistle, there are few other jobs that need doing; fitting air and
parking brakes, working head and tail lamps, and doing some cosmetic
work on the body.

Although the train was built in the late eighties and ran at many events
(including Woking 150), it was mothballed in 1996 and was only brought
out of storage earlier this year, when my co-owner and I bought it from
the original builder.

As I may have mentioned before on this group, I also have a 1/8 scale
model of a 'Q23' stock car, purchased at the same time, but this was
never finished and will need much more work before it runs.
Old July 18th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It was Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:46:05 +0000 (UTC), and "Peter Zinckgraf"
wrote in uk.transport.london:
| I'm just thinking of a garden railway built entirely underground...

My first visit to London I was surprised to drive UNDER a bridge
for the Underground Lines. I was also rather young back then ...

But that does give be a great idea. Plant a few speakers in the
garden, add a handful of station buildings, and make my own
"underground garden railway".

JL

Old July 18th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Justa Lurker
writes
It was Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:46:05 +0000 (UTC), and "Peter Zinckgraf"
wrote in uk.transport.london:
| I'm just thinking of a garden railway built entirely underground...

My first visit to London I was surprised to drive UNDER a bridge
for the Underground Lines. I was also rather young back then ...

But that does give be a great idea. Plant a few speakers in the
garden, add a handful of station buildings, and make my own
"underground garden railway".

ISTR seeing in Railway Modeller a few years back an article about
someone who'd basically ripped up their floorboards, replaced them with
transparent plastic, and run a model railway underneath them, with
underground trains.
I'm not too sure the parents would be that keen on me doing it here
though :-).
Old July 19th 03, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:30:24 +0100, Spyke wrote:

ISTR seeing in Railway Modeller a few years back an article about
someone who'd basically ripped up their floorboards, replaced them with
transparent plastic, and run a model railway underneath them, with
underground trains.
I'm not too sure the parents would be that keen on me doing it here
though :-).

ITYF that was an April Fool....

Rob.
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk