Old October 13th 05, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line suspended

From the BBC site at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4335994.stm :

"Services on the Northern Line ... have been suspended and may remain
closed on Thursday. Union bosses called for trains to be withdrawn on
Wednesday, after one ran through a red light at Mill Hill East, and its
emergency brakes failed. [I think this means the driver was instructed
to pass a red signal with the usual precautions, but the tripcock reset
itslef without stopping the train.]

It was the fifth incident on the line, and dozens of drivers are
refusing to work on safety grounds. Commuters trying to get home on
Wednesday struggled to get onto overcrowded buses, after the gates
closed at Northern Line stations.

Last Friday almost half the line's fleet did not run as a result of
brake safety checks and an extra driver being put on each train."

I would have thought that in light of this latest incident,
double-manning would have been reinstated. But it sounds as if LU
expected its drivers to continue driving single-manned trains, and many
drivers refused. Anyone know what's really happening? At the moment,
all the LU site is saying is that the line has no trains "due to
signalling system problems".

BBC1 London news this evening showed pictures of the rope that is
supposed to be at the heart of the problem. It looked like the rope that
used to be the manual tripcock resetting device on older tube stock. Is
that still its use? Seems a bit primitive for 1995 stock.

--
Richard J.

Old October 13th 05, 05:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
BBC1 London news this evening showed pictures of the rope that is
supposed to be at the heart of the problem. It looked like the rope that
used to be the manual tripcock resetting device on older tube stock. Is
that still its use? Seems a bit primitive for 1995 stock.

Indeed the 95 and 96 stocks still use the rope reset, as do the D
stocks. The C stocks have a push-button reset. Not sure about the
others.

It's no problem simply pulling on the rope to reset the tripcock.
After all, it's (hopefully) not that often that it should need to be
used!

I've never seen the news due to working, but I'm not sure how the rope
could be the problem. This is only used for resetting the tripcock.
As I understand it, the tripcock wasn't activating when hit by the
trainstop which is the problem? Obviously I am happy to be corrected -
as I say, I'm always working when the local news is on!

Old October 13th 05, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Terry
writes
In message .com,
writes

Indeed the 95 and 96 stocks still use the rope reset, as do the D
stocks. The C stocks have a push-button reset. Not sure about the
others.

It's no problem simply pulling on the rope to reset the tripcock.
After all, it's (hopefully) not that often that it should need to be
used!

I've never seen the news due to working, but I'm not sure how the rope
could be the problem.

According to the report, the ropes have been replaced with ones that are
several millimetres too thick. I presume they are therefore getting
stuck, making it very difficult to reset the tripcock.

Or perhaps the rope is too thick and doesn't move when the tripcock is
hit and so the tripcock is prevented from working?
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Old October 13th 05, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John" wrote in message
In article , Paul Terry
writes
In message .com,
writes

According to the report, the ropes have been replaced with ones that are
several millimetres too thick. I presume they are therefore getting
stuck, making it very difficult to reset the tripcock.

Or perhaps the rope is too thick and doesn't move when the tripcock is
hit and so the tripcock is prevented from working?

Just heard on BBC London this morning that service is still suspended.

:-(
--
Brian

Old October 13th 05, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Brian Watson
writes

Just heard on BBC London this morning that service is still suspended.

:-(

According to TfL this is now due to signalling problems affecting the
entire Northern line.

--
Paul Terry
Old October 13th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Brian Watson
writes

Just heard on BBC London this morning that service is still
suspended.

:-(

According to TfL this is now due to signalling problems affecting
the entire Northern line.

LU have been blaming the tripcock problem on the "signalling system"
from the start.

Another question: what, if any, differences are there between the
tripcock systems on the 1995 (Northern) and 1996 (Jubilee) trains, which
are generally of similar design from the same manufacturer?
--
Richard J.

Old October 13th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:34:12 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , Brian Watson
writes

Just heard on BBC London this morning that service is still suspended.

:-(

According to TfL this is now due to signalling problems affecting the
entire Northern line.

And no doubt some media will continue to say that there's "a signal
failure".

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old October 13th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Brian Watson
writes

Just heard on BBC London this morning that service is still
suspended.

:-(

According to TfL this is now due to signalling problems affecting
the entire Northern line.

LU have been blaming the tripcock problem on the "signalling system"
from the start.

You seem to be implying this is in accurate. I would say that the
tripcock system is part of the signalling system just as much as any set
of lights, cables or signalboxes (or whatever LU call them). Just
because this part of the system is train and not track mounted, doesn't
make it any less part of the signalling system.

Robin

Old October 13th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I've never seen the news due to working, but I'm not sure how the rope
could be the problem. This is only used for resetting the tripcock.
As I understand it, the tripcock wasn't activating when hit by the
trainstop which is the problem?

I have heard that the problem is that trains *are* being tripped, but are
then immediately resetting themselves without any manual intervention. The
thickness of the reset rope could well influence this. Just rumour, though,
at present.

MetroGnome