Old October 30th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default The Thameslink Planning Enquiry

Neil Sunderland wrote:

Trunk Roads aren't "schemes" as such, just lengths of existing roads
that were taken over by the (then) Ministry of Roads and (the ones
that haven't been detrunked, anyway) now maintained by the HA.

They were originally defined by the Trunk Roads Acts of 1936 and 1946.
For example, Trunk Road 1 is London-Thurso and Trunk Road 8 is
London-Penzance (from the 1936 Act) and the now defunct Trunk Road 41
is Taunton-Barnstaple-Fraddon (in the 1946 Act).

Without access to a copy of the Acts I can't be certain, but I'd guess
the Felixstowe-Southampton Trunk Road was created by the 1946 Act.

I did find a complete list recently (and accidentally!), but I can't
find it now: the closest I've come is on a posting on the SABRE forum
he http://tinyurl.com/bhvqs. It's not complete (or particularly
accurate, for that matter); and the numbering isn't really "secret",
it's just the order they appear in each Act!

Interesting, thanks.

Old November 9th 05, 07:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Neil Sunderland
writes
They were originally defined by the Trunk Roads Acts of 1936 and 1946.
For example, Trunk Road 1 is London-Thurso and Trunk Road 8 is
London-Penzance (from the 1936 Act) and the now defunct Trunk Road 41
is Taunton-Barnstaple-Fraddon (in the 1946 Act).

Without access to a copy of the Acts I can't be certain, but I'd guess
the Felixstowe-Southampton Trunk Road was created by the 1946 Act.

At least the 1936 Act has been repealed (by a Statute Law Reform Act, so
not because of a specific replacement) and there's no sign of the 1946
Act in "Statutes in Force".

I doubt I'm going to have time to visit a law library in the near future
to find the originals.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old November 9th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , I wrote:
At least the 1936 Act has been repealed (by a Statute Law Reform Act,

oops, Statute Law Revision Act

so not because of a specific replacement)

I should have clarified for those not familiar: SLR Acts basically
repeal Acts or parts of Acts whose provisions have either been
superseded by later laws, or is effectively dead but needs a formal
stake through the heart.

For example, clause 25 of Magna Carta:
One measure of Wine shall be through our Realm, and one measure of
Ale, and one measure of Corn, that is to say, the Quarter of London;
and one breadth of dyed Cloth, Russets, and Haberjects, that is to
say, two Yards within the lists. And it shall be of Weights as it is
of Measures.
is superseded by the various bits of Weights and Measures legislation,
and so the 1948 SLR Act repealed it.

Similarly, the concept that women can't accuse men of murder was
effectively dead long ago, and so clause 34:
No Man shall be taken or imprisoned upon the Appeal of a Woman for
the Death of any other, than of her husband.
was repealed by the 1863 SLR Act (1872 in Ireland). [That particular Act
repealed almost half of the Great Charter.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old January 2nd 06, 06:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neil Sunderland wrote:
Trunk Roads aren't "schemes" as such, just lengths of existing roads
that were taken over by the (then) Ministry of Roads and (the ones
that haven't been detrunked, anyway) now maintained by the HA.

They were originally defined by the Trunk Roads Acts of 1936 and 1946.
For example, Trunk Road 1 is London-Thurso and Trunk Road 8 is
London-Penzance (from the 1936 Act) and the now defunct Trunk Road 41
is Taunton-Barnstaple-Fraddon (in the 1946 Act).

Without access to a copy of the Acts I can't be certain, but I'd guess
the Felixstowe-Southampton Trunk Road was created by the 1946 Act.

I've now found a list of the roads defined by the two Acts online.

http://www.watsonlv.addr.com/my_hosting/trunk_roads.htm

Southampton-Felixstowe isn't listed, though. However, it could have
been formed from two (or more) Trunk Roads that were joined up for
administrative purposes, although it's not immediately obvious from
the list which ones would have been joined up. It's equally likely
that it was defined by later legislation.

At least I identified Trunk Roads 1, 8 and 41 accurately

Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.

NP: Led Zeppelin - Down By The Seaside (from the album 'Physical Graffiti')

ABBey 1234 (020 7222 1234) enquiry number is no more Mizter T London Transport 15 August 25th 21 09:12 AM
Fare enquiry Ian F. London Transport 7 August 18th 09 10:32 PM
Thameslink project (i.e. TL2K) gets legal & planning go-ahead Mizter T London Transport 19 October 21st 06 12:01 AM
Fare enquiry - Zone 6 Gatwick Express CDR NW3 London Transport 1 July 6th 06 12:01 PM
Routing enquiry - Fleet to London Terminals Phil Clark London Transport 14 December 6th 05 07:16 PM