Old October 26th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default The Thameslink Planning Enquiry

The Times this morning reports that Luton Airport is to build a new
runway in time for 2012 Olympics together with a new terminal and
monorail connection to Luton Airport Parkway.The City of London has
issued a report indicating that rail links will become increasingly
congested as a result on increasing employment in London and call for a
"step change in the level of investment".
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...843035,00.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...843483,00.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...843849,00.html

Is there any organisation/individual that is monitoring the reopened
planning enquiry into Thameslink that began on the 6th September 2005?

Old October 26th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

monorail connection to Luton Airport Parkway.

Nah.

Would probably be an extension of the mis-guuded Luton - Dunstable
busway.

Old October 26th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message .com, at
03:22:57 on Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Bob Robinson
remarked:
The Times this morning reports that Luton Airport is to build a new
runway in time for 2012 Olympics

I think you'll find it's at the somewhat earlier stage of "thinking
about maybe applying for planning permission to..."
Old October 27th 05, 06:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

I think you'll find it's at the somewhat earlier stage of "thinking
about maybe applying for planning permission to..."

But a bit later than that as it is past the thinking stage and is at
the have decided to apply stage.

Two steps, one is a limited existing terminal expansion for 2007, the
second - seperate step and seperate planning application - will be for
a major new south terminal and south runway about 900 m south of the
existing facility and to operate in parallel with it and open for 2012.
Seems a tight timescale to me as there will be lots of objections to
it.

Presumably it is the latter scheme is / may have some other kind of
transit link to LAP.

It will need something as they are planning to jump from the present
54,000 movements p.a. to 234,000.

--
Nick

Old October 27th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message . com, at
22:36:30 on Wed, 26 Oct 2005, D7666 remarked:
I think you'll find it's at the somewhat earlier stage of "thinking
about maybe applying for planning permission to..."

But a bit later than that as it is past the thinking stage and is at
the have decided to apply stage.

Application to be made "late next year". To me that means they are
flying a kite now to see what reaction they get, before making up their
mind exactly what to apply for.

Seems a tight timescale to me as there will be lots of objections to
it.

Their most recent expansion seems like a real dogs breakfast. Took ages
and I'm not sure quite what improvement it made. Same old cramped
baggage hall, and the walk to the gate involved a trip upstairs and back
down again - what was that all about?

Old October 27th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote:

But a bit later than that as it is past the thinking stage and is at
the have decided to apply stage.

Indeed so. There was a flurry of publicity in the media only a few
days ago.

Two steps, one is a limited existing terminal expansion for 2007, the
second - seperate step and seperate planning application - will be for
a major new south terminal and south runway about 900 m south of the
existing facility and to operate in parallel with it and open for 2012.
Seems a tight timescale to me as there will be lots of objections to
it.

Presumably it is the latter scheme is / may have some other kind of
transit link to LAP.

It will need something as they are planning to jump from the present
54,000 movements p.a. to 234,000.

Poor Luton. Already a deeply unattractive town, these developments
can only serve to make it an even worse place to live and/or work.

Old October 27th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
Their most recent expansion seems like a real dogs breakfast. Took ages
and I'm not sure quite what improvement it made. Same old cramped
baggage hall, and the walk to the gate involved a trip upstairs and back
down again - what was that all about?

It's a bit better that being shoved on a bus to be taken to a remote
stand, which was more common at busy time before the terminal extension
opened. Luton Airport does look rather like a Lego construction though,
where every few years a child gets a new box from a different series
and builds something on top of a pre-existing set. Reminds me a little
of the old Liverpool Street station.

Old October 27th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Tony Polson wrote:

Poor Luton. Already a deeply unattractive town, these developments
can only serve to make it an even worse place to live and/or work.

And I live here, Luton, a bit to the south east of the town centre,
which if you know Luton is in the direction of the airport, although at
least I am side on the the runway[s] existing and proposed.

Since Ryanair stopped using 737-200s, and no-one much uses 111s any
more, the only aircraft I notice are the occasional cargo 707s or DC8s,
straying overseas based biz-jet 737 conversions, and DC9/MD80 etc that
lack hush kits - plus the occasional RB211 powered 757 if they do an
abort approach and overfly and the engines sound like a demented buzz
saw on amphetamines.

Can't say I have a job of any sort though in Luton or not right now at
the moment (

--
Nick

Old October 28th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Bob Robinson wrote:
Is there any organisation/individual that is monitoring the reopened
planning enquiry into Thameslink that began on the 6th September 2005?

Regarding the Thameslink inquiry, there is a dedicated site for it:
http://www.tl2000inquiry.org.uk/

The latest 'provisional' timetable suggests the inquiry will finish next
Friday (4th November). Assuming everything goes according to plan expect
the porject to go-ahead beginning 2007.

ABBey 1234 (020 7222 1234) enquiry number is no more Mizter T London Transport 15 August 25th 21 10:12 AM
Fare enquiry Ian F. London Transport 7 August 18th 09 11:32 PM
Thameslink project (i.e. TL2K) gets legal & planning go-ahead Mizter T London Transport 19 October 21st 06 01:01 AM
Fare enquiry - Zone 6 Gatwick Express CDR NW3 London Transport 1 July 6th 06 01:01 PM
Routing enquiry - Fleet to London Terminals Phil Clark London Transport 14 December 6th 05 08:16 PM