Old November 8th 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default First Class in the South East

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Paul Scott
writes

There is no first class on the Windsor service though,. The first class
sections are declassified, and usually quite empty, because the majority
of
passengers don't realise this.

Ah yes, you're right - but I think Reading trains on the same line still
have first class (thus adding yet further to the confusion, since if you
get on somewhere like Richmond you don't tend to think about whether the
train started from Reading or Windsor).

--
Paul Terry

I wonder if it is a result of the Desiro 450 order being changed? Perhaps
the other Desiros would have been single class. As it is there must be a
number of routes where 450s are used on non first class services, I wonder
if anyone knows of any others? I'm sure some of the services through
Fareham are shown on the timetable posters as not having first class, but
all the actual units used have the seating now...

Paul

Old November 8th 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul
Scott writes

I wonder if it is a result of the Desiro 450 order being changed?

I'm sure it is.

Perhaps the other Desiros would have been single class.

Yes - the original plan for suburban services was 2 x five-car units
without any first class accommodation. As I recall, the SRA wouldn't
agree to platform lengthening to allow 10-car trains, so instead SWT
bought more of the four-car units (with 1st class) already ordered for
outer suburban services.

(snip)

--
Paul Terry
Old November 8th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder if use of Desiros on the Hounslow Loop services is temporary
pending refurbishment of all the (standard class only) 455s. Hope not!
--
Richard J.

Old November 8th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In the case of SWT, there is a distinction between true suburban routes
(the Hounslow and Kingston loops, for example) and semifast outer suburban
routes, such as the Windsor line, where there are a limited number of
inner London stops. First class is usually provided only on the latter -
presumably because there is a demand for it.

--
Paul Terry

There is no first class on the Windsor service though,. The first class
sections are declassified, and usually quite empty, because the majority of
passengers don't realise this.

How is one supposed to know?
Old November 8th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Newt" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In the case of SWT, there is a distinction between true suburban routes
(the Hounslow and Kingston loops, for example) and semifast outer
suburban routes, such as the Windsor line, where there are a limited
number of inner London stops. First class is usually provided only on the
latter - presumably because there is a demand for it.

--
Paul Terry

There is no first class on the Windsor service though,. The first class
sections are declassified, and usually quite empty, because the majority
of passengers don't realise this.

How is one supposed to know?

Beats me. I noticed it in their magazine I think.

Paul

Old November 8th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:57:27 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:

There is no first class on the Windsor service though,. The first class
sections are declassified, and usually quite empty, because the majority of
passengers don't realise this.

How is one supposed to know?

From the timetables, which (probably) show whether the train is
advertised as having first class.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 8th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov 2005 13:08:31 -0800, "Andrea" wrote:

Should they adopt the Chiltern route of abolisihing First Class?

No, they should heed the words of Harry Perkins, MP, and abolish 2nd
Class!

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War, and in Films & TV:
http://www.nickcooper.org.uk/
Old November 9th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
"Dave Newt" wrote in message

Paul Scott wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In the case of SWT, there is a distinction between true suburban routes
(the Hounslow and Kingston loops, for example) and semifast outer
suburban routes, such as the Windsor line, where there are a limited
number of inner London stops. First class is usually provided only on the
latter - presumably because there is a demand for it.

There is no first class on the Windsor service though,. The first class
sections are declassified, and usually quite empty, because the majority
of passengers don't realise this.

How is one supposed to know?

Beats me. I noticed it in their magazine I think.

That's where I read it.

I think I've seen something on the scrolling display on a train. It was
only a glance but it didn't seem to show it again (until I got bored).

--
Paul
Old November 10th 05, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , James Farrar
writes
AFAIK there are no first class fares available along that route, and
certainly not for my part of it.

Does that, therefore, mean that I am entitled to sit in the "First
Class" area with my Z1-3 Annual?

It's nothing to do with what fares are available.

Check the timetables. If they show first class is available on a
service, you need a first class ticket to sit in first class. If they
show it as standard class only, you can sit anywhere on the train with a
standard class ticket, irrespective of what the seating is like.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: