Old November 9th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default New book: Underground Maps After Beck by Maxwell Roberts

http://capitaltransport.com/New%20Site/Main.htm

Great collection of London tube maps. I haven't read the text yet, but I
know Maxwell Roberts and am sure it will be excellent.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 9th 05, 05:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , John Rowland
writes
http://capitaltransport.com/New%20Site/Main.htm

Great collection of London tube maps. I haven't read the text yet, but I
know Maxwell Roberts and am sure it will be excellent.

I bought a copy earlier in the week.

John's right, it is very good indeed. Anyone who enjoyed the wonderful
Mr. Beck's Underground Map" will enjoy this very much, too.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old November 9th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"John Rowland" wrote in message
http://capitaltransport.com/New%20Site/Main.htm

Great collection of London tube maps. I haven't read the text yet, but

know Maxwell Roberts and am sure it will be excellent.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Nice books but as is usual for transport books they are grossly over
priced.
Regards Mike.

--
The best thing about Christmas is when it's over.

Old November 9th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

http://capitaltransport.com/New%20Site/Main.htm

Great collection of London tube maps. I haven't read the text yet, but

know Maxwell Roberts and am sure it will be excellent.

Nice books but as is usual for transport books they are grossly over
priced.

Probably because of the small print runs. Anyway, my copy is on order
(and I might be able to get my University to pay for them seeing as they
are relevant to my academic research).

--
Jonathan Stott
Canterbury Weather: http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/
Old November 9th 05, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

Nice books but as is usual for transport books they are grossly over
priced.

Don't worry - I expect it will be heavily remaindered within six
months. How many people are going to have even a passing interest in a
"great collection of London tube maps"?

I like looking at railway maps as much as the next gricer, but this
really is a stunningly narrow field of research. "London Underground
Maps Before and After Beck" might have had some merit. "Underground
Railway Maps of the World and the Influence of Beck" would have been
worth a look. But who on earth is going to examine a collection of
virtually identical London Underground maps, where the only changes
over several decades have been the Victoria Line and the gradual creep
of the Jubilee? g, d + r
--
Pat Ricroft, City of Salford, UK
================================

Old November 9th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Jonathan Stott wrote:
Pat Ricroft wrote:

But who on earth is going to examine a collection of
virtually identical London Underground maps, where the only changes
over several decades have been the Victoria Line and the gradual creep
of the Jubilee? g, d + r

Er, me?

I look forward to a full review in due course!

Perhaps along the following lines:
"A brave attempt to render the full glory of the developing Tube map
over five decades, but sadly let down by the printers, who were unable
to reproduce the proper shade of brown for the Bakerloo line in the
1967 map."

Old November 9th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Pat Ricroft wrote:

I look forward to a full review in due course!

Perhaps along the following lines:
"A brave attempt to render the full glory of the developing Tube map
over five decades, but sadly let down by the printers, who were unable
to reproduce the proper shade of brown for the Bakerloo line in the
1967 map."

Most likely But I'm particularly interested in the subtleties of
design which I guess you don't really notice day-to-day.

BTW, I'm doing research into drawing maps like these, so any insight is
worth following up for my thesis

Old November 9th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message . com
"Pat Ricroft" wrote:

Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:

Nice books but as is usual for transport books they are grossly over
priced.

Don't worry - I expect it will be heavily remaindered within six
months. How many people are going to have even a passing interest in a
"great collection of London tube maps"?

I like looking at railway maps as much as the next gricer, but this
really is a stunningly narrow field of research. "London Underground
Maps Before and After Beck" might have had some merit. "Underground
Railway Maps of the World and the Influence of Beck" would have been
worth a look.

I think someone has already done that. Not with that particlar title of
course but certainly that idea.

I've got a copy of the Beck book and it is fascinating. Maps and their
history are 'sexy' at the moment, viz the recent series on BBC. This sounds
like another jump on the bandwagon.

But who on earth is going to examine a collection of virtually identical
London Underground maps, where the only changes over several decades have
been the Victoria Line and the gradual creep of the Jubilee? g, d + r

mode = sad

I've been collecting the freebee maps for about 30 years, try and get one
each time there is a change to the network.

/mode

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old November 9th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message .com
"Pat Ricroft" wrote:

Jonathan Stott wrote:
Pat Ricroft wrote:

But who on earth is going to examine a collection of
virtually identical London Underground maps, where the only changes
over several decades have been the Victoria Line and the gradual creep
of the Jubilee? g, d + r

Er, me?

I look forward to a full review in due course!

Perhaps along the following lines:
"A brave attempt to render the full glory of the developing Tube map
over five decades, but sadly let down by the printers, who were unable
to reproduce the proper shade of brown for the Bakerloo line in the
1967 map."

ITYM the 1966 map g,d&r