Old November 24th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Notting Hill Wall

I have just seen an old documentary that showed that all is not what it
seems in Notting Hill. Apparently some of the houses above the
District&Circle lines are not houses at all but just a facade with
nothing behind them, this apparently was to do with the cut&cover
tunnels, does anyone know more detail about this? It sounds very
interesting!

Old November 24th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Conductor in Charge of.........." wrote in
message ups.com...

http://www.urban75.org/london/leinster.html

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 24th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Conductor in Charge of.......... writes

I have just seen an old documentary that showed that all is not what it
seems in Notting Hill. Apparently some of the houses above the
District&Circle lines are not houses at all but just a facade with
nothing behind them, this apparently was to do with the cut&cover
tunnels, does anyone know more detail about this? It sounds very
interesting!

Leinster Gardens in Bayswater. For photos, see near the bottom of:

http://underground-history.co.uk/cutncover.php
--
Paul Terry
Old November 24th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Conductor in Charge of.......... wrote:

I have just seen an old documentary that showed that all is not what it
seems in Notting Hill. Apparently some of the houses above the
District&Circle lines are not houses at all but just a facade with
nothing behind them, this apparently was to do with the cut&cover
tunnels, does anyone know more detail about this? It sounds very
interesting!

Well, if it's Bayswater rather than Notting Hill, and the Hammersmith &
City rather than the District or Circle, then you might be thinking of
numbers 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens:

http://underground-history.co.uk/cutncover.php
http://www.urban75.org/london/leinster.html
http://www.photolondon.org.uk/notice...her_large3.htm
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/hiddenc/23_24lg.htm
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...don%20leinster

tom

--
buy plastic owl
Old November 24th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

Well, if it's Bayswater rather than Notting Hill, and the Hammersmith &
City rather than the District or Circle, then you might be thinking of
numbers 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens:

Nothing to do with the Hammersmith and City, Tom - the H&C is about 700m
further north and runs parallel with the Great Western mainline at this
point. Circle line is correct.
--
Paul Terry

Old November 24th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes

Well, if it's Bayswater rather than Notting Hill, and the Hammersmith &
City rather than the District or Circle, then you might be thinking of
numbers 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens:

Nothing to do with the Hammersmith and City, Tom - the H&C is about 700m
further north and runs parallel with the Great Western mainline at this
point. Circle line is correct.

Doh! I do apologise. I was under the impression that this was the bit of
line between Praed Street junction and the H&C portal, although now i
think about it, that's ridiculous.

tom

--
Destroy! DESTROY! DEEEEEEE-STROY 2000 YEARS OF CULTCHAH!! -- Andrew
Old November 24th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Conductor in Charge of.......... wrote:
I have just seen an old documentary that showed that all is not what it
seems in Notting Hill. Apparently some of the houses above the
District&Circle lines are not houses at all but just a facade with
nothing behind them, this apparently was to do with the cut&cover
tunnels, does anyone know more detail about this? It sounds very
interesting!

Yes. This is an old one. Numbers 16 & 17 (I think) Leinster Gardens
are dummies. If you have a look, their windows are actually black-painted
wood (?). It prevents the nobs of the time from having to look
down onto the railway below.

Richard [in PE12]
Old November 24th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

Well, if it's Bayswater rather than Notting Hill, and the
Hammersmith & City rather than the District or Circle, then you
might be thinking of numbers 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens:

Nothing to do with the Hammersmith and City, Tom - the H&C is about
700m further north and runs parallel with the Great Western mainline
at this point. Circle line is correct.

Doh! I do apologise. I was under the impression that this was the bit
of line between Praed Street junction and the H&C portal, although
now i think about it, that's ridiculous.

If one wishes to be historically accurate, it's actually the Met since they
built the line to South Kensington some 16 years before the circle was
completed.

Old November 24th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks all for your interesting responses and links to more info, I
particuarly like the site which reports people have ordered pizza and
directed people to the addresses, classic! Do you reckon door to door
sales are in on the gag or do they hang around for a while waiting for
someone to answer?