London Banter

-   -   Watford Jnct - Euston on Virgin rather than Silverlink (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3647-watford-jnct-euston-virgin-rather.html)

[email protected] December 1st 05 04:57 PM

Watford Jnct - Euston on Virgin rather than Silverlink

Hi!

Newbie question, if I buy a season ticket or even a day return from
Watford Junction to Euston and a Virgin train comes along can I use
that to get to Euston quickly or is that not allowed - do I have to use
Silverlink?

And even if it's not supposed to happen, do people do it?

Thanks,

Paul Scott December 1st 05 05:19 PM

Watford Jnct - Euston on Virgin rather than Silverlink

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!

Newbie question, if I buy a season ticket or even a day return from
Watford Junction to Euston and a Virgin train comes along can I use
that to get to Euston quickly or is that not allowed - do I have to use
Silverlink?

And even if it's not supposed to happen, do people do it?

Thanks,

The timetables for VWC show that trains are set down only southbound and
pick up only northbound at Watford Junction, which confirms your assumption
that you are supposed to use Silverlink.

Available he

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/travel...s/default.aspx

Whether or not this rule is strictly enforced I will leave for others

Paul

Keith Raeburn December 1st 05 05:58 PM

Watford Jnct - Euston on Virgin rather than Silverlink

Whether or not this rule is strictly enforced I will leave for others

It often is, in which case if you board you will find yourself charged
the Open Single fare from the previous advertised calling station
(usually Coventry or Birmingham) to Euston.

Paul Scott December 1st 05 06:07 PM

Watford Jnct - Euston on Virgin rather than Silverlink

"Keith Raeburn" wrote in message
ups.com...

Whether or not this rule is strictly enforced I will leave for others

It often is, in which case if you board you will find yourself charged
the Open Single fare from the previous advertised calling station
(usually Coventry or Birmingham) to Euston.

There was a thread a while back on uk.r that discussed a FGW service that
was non stopped Reading (pick up only) on its way to Exeter without warning;
quite a few pax were excessed to Exeter and then had to get back....

Paul

asdf December 1st 05 06:27 PM

Watford Jnct - Euston on Virgin rather than Silverlink

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:19:54 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Newbie question, if I buy a season ticket or even a day return from
Watford Junction to Euston and a Virgin train comes along can I use
that to get to Euston quickly or is that not allowed - do I have to use
Silverlink?

And even if it's not supposed to happen, do people do it?

The timetables for VWC show that trains are set down only southbound and
pick up only northbound at Watford Junction, which confirms your assumption
that you are supposed to use Silverlink.

Indeed. You'll find that southbound trains won't be announced on the
departure screens at Watford Junction, while northbound trains at
Euston won't be advertised as stopping at Watford Junction.

Whether or not this rule is strictly enforced I will leave for others

Apparently, if your ticket is checked you may be charged the full
Standard Open single fare (in the southbound direction) from the last
station where you could have "legally" boarded the train (i.e. the
last place the train called to pick up), or (in the northbound
direction) to the first stop where the train calls to set down.

Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III December 1st 05 10:19 PM

wrote:
Hi!

Newbie question, if I buy a season ticket or even a day return from
Watford Junction to Euston and a Virgin train comes along can I use
that to get to Euston quickly or is that not allowed - do I have to use
Silverlink?

And even if it's not supposed to happen, do people do it?

All the tickets I get from WJ to Euston are not for a specific
railway company. I've been buying non-specific tickets for years
and have used Virgin (and their predecessors) and Silverlink
(and predecessors) interchangeably, and have had no problems.

Richardd [in PE12]

Paul Scott December 1st 05 11:02 PM

"Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III" wrote in message
news:1133479170.a6310861c8a2a7c93ce861e1e35e5c01@f e5.teranews.com...

All the tickets I get from WJ to Euston are not for a specific
railway company. I've been buying non-specific tickets for years
and have used Virgin (and their predecessors) and Silverlink
(and predecessors) interchangeably, and have had no problems.

Richardd [in PE12]

The fact that your tickets are not marked for a specific TOC is irrelevant.
According to the published timetable, (part of the conditions of carriage),
VWC do not provide a service from WJ to Euston, as explained elsewhere.

Paul

Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III December 2nd 05 05:20 PM

Paul Scott wrote:

The fact that your tickets are not marked for a specific TOC is irrelevant.
According to the published timetable, (part of the conditions of carriage),
VWC do not provide a service from WJ to Euston, as explained elsewhere.

Well, I've got on Virgin Trains from Watford Junction; I do it all the time.
I just goto the ticket office, ask for a ticket to London Euston. I never specified
which service I wanted to use, just "a train".

I then look for a likely looking train, ask the personage if he's going to
London Euston. If he says "yes", I get on it.

I wasn't aware there was any problem doing this. I don't think I've
EVER asked for travel on a specific railway company.

Nor was I aware that I had to use "the published timetable". If there are
extra conditions in this of which I am not aware, then they should make
its use compulsory. I'm not interested in the "timetable" (the times
at which trains are supposed to run); I am only interested in the
times at which the trains do actually run.

Richard [in PE12]