Old March 12th 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default July Bombing Train returned to service

Just heard on the news that survivers of the July tube bombings have
criticised LU's decision to return 4 cars of the Piccadilly Line train
involved back to service. I assume this would be the undamaged set.
Whilst I have every sympathy for those involved, this does seem rather
extreme. Would they prefer the whole train be scrapped resulting
overcrowding on the remaining trains.

Dave

Old March 12th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(David) wrote:

Just heard on the news that survivers of the July tube bombings have
criticised LU's decision to return 4 cars of the Piccadilly Line train
involved back to service. I assume this would be the undamaged set.
Whilst I have every sympathy for those involved, this does seem rather
extreme. Would they prefer the whole train be scrapped resulting
overcrowding on the remaining trains.

There does seem to be a modern fashion for removing all traces of
areas where bad things have happened. It's really quite irrational.
No-one thought of demolishing Rillington Place after the murders
there.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-
Old March 12th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Boothroyd" wrote in message news:david-
There does seem to be a modern fashion for removing all traces of
areas where bad things have happened. It's really quite irrational.
No-one thought of demolishing Rillington Place after the murders
there.

I thought they got rid of Rillington Place completely and replaced it with
Bartle Street (or something similar). Or was that for a completley
unrelated reason?

Old March 12th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"M J Forbes" wrote:
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message news:david-
There does seem to be a modern fashion for removing all traces of
areas where bad things have happened. It's really quite irrational.
No-one thought of demolishing Rillington Place after the murders
there.

I thought they got rid of Rillington Place completely and replaced it with
Bartle Street (or something similar).

It was renamed "Ruston Close" because of the infamy, but not demolished.
The landlord of no. 10 used to organise sight-seeing trips. The
demolition only happened because of the construction of the Westway
in 1971.

Actually that reminds me - a friend of mine actually owned the house
in the East End in which Israel Lipski poisoned (or didn't poison, as
his conviction is disputed) his wife.

I think the mania for getting rid of notorious places began with the
Moors Murders when 16 Wardle Brook Avenue was demolished.

Old March 12th 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
writes

Just heard on the news that survivers of the July tube bombings have
criticised LU's decision to return 4 cars of the Piccadilly Line train
involved back to service. I assume this would be the undamaged set.
Whilst I have every sympathy for those involved, this does seem rather
extreme. Would they prefer the whole train be scrapped resulting
overcrowding on the remaining trains.

I think someone possibly has the wrong end of a stick here?

The 'unit' that was involved was 166 which is a 3 car unit
(166-566-366+something else). The device was actually detonated in 166
but badly affected 566 too. 366 was untouched (I saw it quite intact in
Cockfosters depot a few days later after it had been removed from the
incident site), and the remainder of the train (the 'something else'
which I can't remember the unit numbers of) has been back in service for
some time now.

Out of interest, I'm told (I spent all last week on nights there but
didn't actually go and check to confirm - that would be a bit too
morbid, I think) that the car currently quite visible at the east end of
Northfields depot under blue tarpaulin is 566, now returned to us.

There were a total of 4 LU cars involved in the 3 incidents, as there
were the 2 on the Picc. and then 2 each in the other two. Perhaps that
is where 4 comes from?

As someone who will have to drive the thing, I don't see any more
problem with driving this train than any other that someone may have
tragically lost their life on - and there are a few of them out there.
Old March 14th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

David Boothroyd wrote:
In article ,
"M J Forbes" wrote:
[...]

They demolished Fred West's house.

Kevin

Old March 14th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
"Kev" wrote:
David Boothroyd wrote:
[...]

They had to practically demolish it to investigate the crimes though,
and it did have the useful consequence of opening up a quick route
through to Gloucester city centre.

The gym in which the Dunblane massacre happened was demolished. But
the house in Gloucester Road and the shed in Crawley where Acid Bath
killer John Haigh worked are still there, the house in Dalton Square
where Buck Ruxton murdered his wife and servant is still there,
and Hilldrop Crescent where Dr Crippen murdered his wife was only
demolished courtesy of the Luftwaffe in 1941.