Old March 29th 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euro Star

Is there any secret to getting the price of a Euro Star ticket.

My experience at Waterloo was that the sales person was determined to drive
the price of the ticket up as high as she could. Indeed I got the feeling
from several encounters with the sales staff that their real job was to
avoid selling any tickets at any price.

Quite how this business model works I have no idea.

The simple question "What does it cost to go to Paris" was answered by
another question: "When do you want to travel?"

I want to travel when I can afford to do so. I might be prepared to trade
off a slightly higher fare for more convenient scheduling but I want to see
all the facts in front of me.

Giving out the facts does not seem to be part of Euro Star's ethos. I have
certainly never seen all of the options laid out.

Old March 29th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I want to travel when I can afford to do so. I might be prepared to trade
off a slightly higher fare for more convenient scheduling but I want to
see all the facts in front of me.

Giving out the facts does not seem to be part of Euro Star's ethos. I
have certainly never seen all of the options laid out.

Eurostar's pricing model is similar to the airlines.
The price depends very much on when you want to travel, and how many tickets
have already been sold.

Go to www.eurostar.co.uk

Put in your date of travel, and a time, and it will give you all the
options.

--
Peter

Old March 29th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Wilson wrote:
Is there any secret to getting the price of a Euro Star ticket.

Returns start at 59 GBP for London to Paris or Brussels. As individual
trains fill up, tickets on those trains get more expensive. The pages
linked from
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/before_you_go/fares.jsp
seem to give a list of all the possible fares. Use website to determine
which trains have filled up and how much.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old March 29th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Colin Wilson typed:

Giving out the facts does not seem to be part of Euro Star's ethos. I
have certainly never seen all of the options laid out.

The full range of fares to Paris is listed he
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/before_you_go/fares/london_ashford_to_paris.jsp

--
Bob

Old March 29th 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for that.

You have to wonder why they simply don't have a 59 pound fare and have done
with it.

The last time I travelled on Euro Star the train from Paris to London
managed to get lost "somewhere in Southern England". We came back into
London via Brixton and then went to Kensington (Olympia)!

Some people decided that they wanted to get off there as it would have been
convenient for them but the train doors remained locked shut. The Tannoy
said that this was because there was no customs facilities at Olympia.

Why this would have mattered heaven only knows as we had gone thru all the
formalities for both French and English customs in Paris.

We eventually made it to Waterloo about an hour and a half late.

"Bob Wood" wrote in message
In ,
Colin Wilson typed:

Old March 29th 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Wilson wrote:
You have to wonder why they simply don't have a 59 pound fare and have done
with it.

Presumably you don't have to wonder this too long...

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old March 29th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Bob Wood
writes

The full range of fares to Paris is listed he
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/before_you_go/fares/london_ashford_to_paris.jsp

But remember that there are often Eurostar promotions which offer much
better rates. For instance, the recent Daily Telegraph promotion offered
Paris return (midweek) for TWO people for £58 (£29 each):

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur..._promotion.jsp

And there is/was an offer of 2 nights in Paris, Eurostar and hotel, all
for £77 (upwards) per person - possibly still there at:

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/latest_deals.jsp

--
Paul Terry
Old March 29th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Wilson wrote:

You have to wonder why they simply don't have a 59 pound fare and have done
with it.

Quite simply E* will have to turn business away at peak times through too
much demand. Eurostar don't take standing passengers, if they did sell all
tickets at £59 and your Friday evening departures for example would be like
the Underground at peak periods and people wouldn't use the service thanks
to an uncomfortable journey. You could take an average flat rate fare (say
about £100 to £120), however many will be put off by that and won't use it.

So logically you have a demand based quota controlled system, book early
and/or travel on lightly loaded trains you get a good deal. Book say today
for going out this coming Friday night after 17:00, back late Sunday and
you'll pay over £150. Simple as that.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Old March 29th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

All valid points.

I admit that my constraint is money, not time. I am prepared (within
reason) to adjust the time and days I travel to avoid peak periods. And if
the price goes too high, I don't travel.

I just wish that I had been able to find the information myself without
having to plead for assistance!

Now about my "lost" train (which went to Kennsington Olympia) how often does
that happen?

Old March 30th 06, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:56:29 +1200, "Colin Wilson"
wrote:

All valid points.

I admit that my constraint is money, not time. I am prepared (within
reason) to adjust the time and days I travel to avoid peak periods. And if
the price goes too high, I don't travel.

I just wish that I had been able to find the information myself without
having to plead for assistance!

It is still too difficult to plan international rail trips on the
basis of price rather than departure time. The idea that passengers
might be willing to wait an hour and pay half the price, rather than
see the full price and then trawl the web to book a plane instead, is
only just getting through.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK