London Banter

-   -   Thames Barrier (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4136-thames-barrier.html)

Rev. CMOT TMPV May 14th 06 02:24 AM

Thames Barrier

Hello :)

I am going to London shortly and want to see the Thames Barrier. Is there
Tube stop nearby? None of the tourist guide books even list this as a
tourist place but I'm very curious. Any advice is welcome.

(Also, I will get a 7 day 2 zone travelcard as I usually do. Are these still
paper or have they gone Oyster too?)

--
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing." - Anon.

Mike Hughes May 14th 06 03:55 AM

Thames Barrier

In message , Rev. CMOT
TMPV writes
Hello :)

I am going to London shortly and want to see the Thames Barrier. Is there
Tube stop nearby? None of the tourist guide books even list this as a
tourist place but I'm very curious. Any advice is welcome.

(Also, I will get a 7 day 2 zone travelcard as I usually do. Are these still
paper or have they gone Oyster too?)

The official Thames Barrier visitor station is on the south side of the
river. Nearest Tube is North Greenwich, but it is quite a long walk from
there. You can usually get a taxi from the rank there. Nearest rail
station is Charlton, again quite a walk.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Paul Terry May 14th 06 06:56 AM

Thames Barrier

In message , Rev. CMOT
TMPV writes

I am going to London shortly and want to see the Thames Barrier. Is there
Tube stop nearby? None of the tourist guide books even list this as a
tourist place but I'm very curious. Any advice is welcome.

Jubilee line to North Greenwich, then bus 472 or 161 from Bus Stop A
outside the station. Alight at the Thames Barrier stop - the visitor
centre is a few minutes' walk from the stop.

Both services run at about 10-minute intervals and the journey time is
about 12 minutes. Your 2-zone travelcard will cover the complete
journey.

National Rail to Charlton, and then a bus, is another possibility - but
Charlton is in Zone 3, so the journey wouldn't be completely covered by
your travelcard.

You can also see the barrier by riverboat from Westminster or Greenwich
- good fun, but more expensive, and the boats don't normally set down or
pick-up at the barrier.

(Also, I will get a 7 day 2 zone travelcard as I usually do. Are these still
paper or have they gone Oyster too?)

Yes - still available, either on paper or on Oyster.

--
Paul Terry

Al Holmes May 14th 06 07:45 AM

Thames Barrier

On Sun, 14 May 2006 07:56:35 +0100, Paul Terry

In message , Rev. CMOT
TMPV writes

I am going to London shortly and want to see the Thames Barrier. Is there
Tube stop nearby? None of the tourist guide books even list this as a
tourist place but I'm very curious. Any advice is welcome.

As an alternative, take the DLR to Pontoon Dock, which is at Thames
Barrier Park on the north side of the river.

Al Holmes

Rev. CMOT TMPV May 14th 06 07:30 PM

Thames Barrier

Once upon a time -- around about 5/14/06 03:45 -- possibly
wrote:

Thanks to everyone who answered :)

I've been to London many times but not the Thames Barrier and I'm quite
curious about it. (If anyone is motivated to e-mail a list of good
restaurants in London, I'm always looking for good ones.....)

-- E

--
"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." -- Norm

asdf May 14th 06 09:22 PM

Thames Barrier

On Sat, 13 May 2006 22:24:24 -0400, Rev. CMOT TMPV wrote:

(Also, I will get a 7 day 2 zone travelcard as I usually do. Are these still
paper or have they gone Oyster too?)

Oyster if you buy from a Tube ticket office; paper if you buy from a
National Rail ticket office.

Rob May 15th 06 02:05 PM

Thames Barrier

Id reccomend visiting Thames Barrier Park on the North side. Great view
of the barrier, lovely park, play area for kids and a very nice cafe.
Pontoon Dock DLR is just outside the park, and you can walk back to
Custom House DLR over the breathtaking Victoria Dock footbridge.

Rob