Old July 23rd 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woolwich Ferry question

In article . com, Peter
Heather writes

A little known fact for you. As you may have noticed in Helen's photos,
the ferry boats carry the TfL Street Management roundel on the side of
the bridge. As the ferry connects the South Circular Road to the North
Circular (via the A117) it was decided to put the ferry under the
control of the Streets side of TfL in 2000, rather than the London
River Services division of the organisation as you might expect. As
Streets are responsible for many of the bridges over the Thames it
seems appropriate as it can be considered as simply another river
crossing.

Peter

Thanks for that, Peter. I never knew that (don't know much about the
Woolwich Ferry at all, but seem to be learning g) and it's a really
interesting fact.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/

Old July 23rd 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Heather wrote:
A little known fact for you. As you may have noticed in Helen's photos,
the ferry boats carry the TfL Street Management roundel on the side of
the bridge. As the ferry connects the South Circular Road to the North
Circular (via the A117) it was decided to put the ferry under the
control of the Streets side of TfL in 2000, rather than the London
River Services division of the organisation as you might expect. As
Streets are responsible for many of the bridges over the Thames it
seems appropriate as it can be considered as simply another river
crossing.

Peter

Peter,

I believe the Woolwich Ferry has recently moved from Street Management
and is now under the control of London River Services. There's nothing
on the external TfL site about this though...

Cheers

Steve M
Old July 25th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Jul 2006, Peter Heather wrote:

A little known fact for you. As you may have noticed in Helen's photos,
the ferry boats carry the TfL Street Management roundel on the side of
the bridge. As the ferry connects the South Circular Road to the North
Circular (via the A117) it was decided to put the ferry under the
control of the Streets side of TfL in 2000, rather than the London River
Services division of the organisation as you might expect. As Streets
are responsible for many of the bridges over the Thames it seems
appropriate as it can be considered as simply another river crossing.

Makes sense - the ferries are basically mobile bits of road!

tom

--
I do not think we will have to wait for long.