Old June 21st 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
John B wrote:
wrote:

BARONS COURT / Barons Court (not so much an anomaly as simply both
being wrong, with the absence of an apostrophe)
PARSONS GREEN / Parsons Green (ditto)

"To court" is a verb, and barons is a legitimate plural...having
"green" as a verb would be pushing it a bit, though.

You can write "persons unknown" or "malice aforethought", so why not
"parsons green"?

Because the green is that of the parson, i.e. it belongs (or
historically did) belong to the parson whose church is on its Western
side, hence a possessive noun, requiring an apostrophe.

Methinks Mr Rowland might be aware of that.

"Persons unknown" is not a possessive noun, i.e. the "unknown" is not
the property of the "persons", The word "unknown" in this context is an
adjective, simply describing the type of persons, i.e. "unknown
persons".

Indeed it is less than a month since AWAD (
www.wordsmith.org) had
'postpositive adjectives' as its weekly theme, giving us: manque,
redux, redivivus, emeritus, and regnant.

I'm not sure what maliceaforethought (apart from being a rather ugly
combination and probably gramatically wrong, but accepted through
common usage) has to do with it!

It's two words - malice aforethought - another postpositive adjectival
use.

Poetically one can put any adjective one pleases postpositively, eg "It
came upon a midnight clear"

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old June 21st 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Larry Lard wrote:
wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
John B wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, Larry it was a mistake on my part to make malice aforethought
into one word! As a lawyer, I put forward the excuse that I have only
ever seen the word aforthought preceded by the word malice, and had
subconsciously conjoined them into one word!

Here's another thread, then, for the literary-minded members of this
forum: what other words have you ever seen preceding the word
aforethought?

Love aforethought?
Wonder aforethought?
Spite aforethought?
Awe aforethought?

Answers please.....

Marc.

Old June 21st 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Why not? About five tube stations are named after pubs, and a pub called
"Everything in the garden is green and
lovely" is not too hard to imagine... or is it? Surely some pub names are
not noun phrases?

I've never seen a pub name that was not a noun phrase. If you can find
one, I'd be well interested.

Oh.. Actually, yes, there's The Case Is Altered at Fosdyke.

Richard [in SG19]

Old June 21st 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 wrote:

John, I think you misunderstand the purpose of the apostrophe. The Court
is the Court of the Earl, hence Earl' Court; likewise the Green is that
of the Parson, hence Parson's Green. They are both nouns.

Whether Baron is singular or plural (Barons), either requires an
apostrophe!

Yes, but if plural it should be Barons' Court.
--
Thoss

Old June 21st 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard M Willis wrote:
"thoss" wrote in message

Have you ever seen a green parson?

Yes. The parson at the place where I used to live dutifully grew
his own veggies, composted the waste therefrom, never used styrofoam
cups, and had no car.

Did you live between Fulham Broadway and Putney Bridge, perchance...?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 21st 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard M Willis wrote:
Why not? About five tube stations are named after pubs, and a pub called
"Everything in the garden is green and
lovely" is not too hard to imagine... or is it? Surely some pub names are
not noun phrases?

I've never seen a pub name that was not a noun phrase. If you can find
one, I'd be well interested.

Oh.. Actually, yes, there's The Case Is Altered at Fosdyke.

In London...
Ain't Nothing But Blues in Soho
The Defectors Weld at Shepherd's Bush
Dicey's The Galway Hooker at Neasden
Dream Bags Jaguar Shoes at Hoxton
Ha! Ha! in various places
Hung, Drawn & Quartered at Tower Hill
Liberty Bounds at Tower Hill
Monkey Chews at Primrose Hill
1802 at West India Quay
Rock The Boat at Waterloo
Tally Ho in Finchley

....not counting single-not-nouns like Imbibe and Lush (well,
technically Lush is a noun, but I doubt that's the sense they're going
for...)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 21st 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:

I've never seen a pub name that was not a noun phrase. If you can
find one, I'd be well interested.

...single-not-nouns like Imbibe and Lush (well,
technically Lush is a noun, but I doubt that's the sense they're going
for...)

I'd say that's exactly the sense they are going for.

Old June 21st 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard M Willis wrote:

I've never seen a pub name that was not a noun phrase. If you can find
one, I'd be well interested.

Oh.. Actually, yes, there's The Case Is Altered at Fosdyke.

In Peep Show, Super Hans wanted to call his pub "Free The Paedos".

Old June 21st 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, John B wrote:

John Rowland wrote:

I've never seen a pub name that was not a noun phrase. If you can
find one, I'd be well interested.

...single-not-nouns like Imbibe and Lush (well,
technically Lush is a noun, but I doubt that's the sense they're going
for...)

I'd say that's exactly the sense they are going for.

Not sure about that - it's not exactly a Walkabout-ish "how much can I
drink before I go to hospital" venue. I think they're going for
lush-as-adjective; I doubt its Young And Beautiful target audience even
know "lush" in its 70's-term-for-****head sense.

My housemates (barring one Scot) didn't know that meaning. I don't know if
they're the target audience; they're young, though, so that's at least one
out of two.

tom

--
Programming is a skill best acquired by practice and example rather than
from books -- Alan Turing

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 03:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 10:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 11:27 AM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 04:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 07:57 AM