Old July 4th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Tube could close in future heatwaves

jonmorris wrote:

Of course, a 500ml bottle of water costs 50p in med countries, £2 in
London.

I thought the shops at Kings Cross were expensive, but I still only pay
95p for a bottle, or £1.20 for two bottles. Not cheap, but not a major
rip off either. However, I don't care because whenever possible I
simply refill a bottle with (cold) water from our office water machine,
or before I leave in the morning! Sod expensive mineral water!

Jonathan

Doesn't anyone here ever go in a supermarket? A six pack of 500ml
mineral waters costs about £2 (supermarket own brand). Buying in bulk
reduces the price. Morrisons have an offer currently on, I think,
Volvic in 5litre bottles for about the same price - not that I'm
suggesting you take a 5l bottle to work, just refill a smaller one.

Old July 4th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Kev" wrote in message

Something that I have always puzzled over is that if people now wander
off for more than 5 minutes from their home they have to take water
with them to prevent dehydration.

Will this mean that trains will now have to have functioning toilets
on them more frequently ? Given that FCC were exhorting me to
"always carry water with [me] at all times" and to "stay out of
direct sunlight" (!duh), your average railway coach is going to be filled
without
100 litre of bladders waiting to be emptied.

Richard [in SG19]

Old July 4th 06, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

victormeldrewsyoungerbrother wrote:
Doesn't anyone here ever go in a supermarket? A six pack of 500ml
mineral waters costs about £2 (supermarket own brand). Buying in bulk
reduces the price. Morrisons have an offer currently on, I think,
Volvic in 5litre bottles for about the same price - not that I'm
suggesting you take a 5l bottle to work, just refill a smaller one.

Indeed, I fill my £1.99 water bottle from the powwow water supply. I'm
thinking more of cases where you are caught unprepared in town. Carts
along the river, for example, are known to rip tourists off.

Old July 4th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Neil Williams wrote:
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

The stress of not being able to get home will far outweigh the stress of
being a bit hot, so get Ken off his latest hobby horse and leave the
Underground running.

Indeed.

I could go on about the new improved London Transport that Ken promised
us would be bought with the congestion charge money, but I think he's
spent it all on community policing and the damn Olympics.

A lot of it's gone on the bus network, to pretty good effect. The
trouble is it was a little too successful, in that it did redirect
people onto public transport, which means his income dropped. That
lead to the price rise and the "make it easier to pay" stuff to
encourage a few more people to drive and up the income again!

Talking of buses and heatwaves, I noticed on a 14 yesterday that a new
air cooling unit had been installed above the stairs on the top deck -
and very welcome it was too.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old July 4th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

victormeldrewsyoungerbrother wrote:
Doesn't anyone here ever go in a supermarket? A six pack of 500ml
mineral waters costs about £2 (supermarket own brand). Buying in bulk
reduces the price.

Yes, but I am trying to avoid carrying a bag with me so I don't really
want to take two bottles in (one for the journey in, one for coming
back) because I've stocked up at home. Incidentally, I take water
because it's common sense, not because of the announcements telling me
to do so in case I was too silly to work it out myself!!

If I'm out and want a drink, I'll go to the nearest newsagent and buy
one even if I have loads at home. If I was buying mineral water for
home, I'd buy larger bottles because it's a huge waste of time getting
all that additional packaging for a 0.5 litre bottle.

Tap water does me fine anyway, so if they had tap water available at
stations I'd simply use that. I only drink it to rehydrate, not to be
seen drinking a fancy brand (but, I wouldn't have paid Coca Cola to
drink bottled tap water either!!).

Jonathan

Old July 4th 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

jonmorris ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Doesn't anyone here ever go in a supermarket? A six pack of 500ml
mineral waters costs about £2 (supermarket own brand). Buying in bulk
reduces the price.

Yes, but I am trying to avoid carrying a bag with me so I don't really
want to take two bottles in (one for the journey in, one for coming
back) because I've stocked up at home.

Isn't there a supermarket (even a Metro/Extra corner-shop-with-pretensions)
near work? Keep a stock in your desk drawer?
Old July 4th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

victormeldrewsyoungerbrother wrote:

just refill a smaller one.

....out of the tap.

I only tend to buy mineral water (rarely) for convenience, and because
I like the fizzy stuff. If you're going to fill up, you might as well
not bother.

Neil

Old July 4th 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

jonmorris wrote:

Tap water does me fine anyway, so if they had tap water available at
stations I'd simply use that.

Can I nominate this for this newsgroups's "best idea of the day" award?

Drinking fountains at main NR and tube stations, where travellers can
have a drink or refil their water bottles. Just like at all BAA
airports.

PaulO

Old July 4th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul Oter ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Tap water does me fine anyway, so if they had tap water available at
stations I'd simply use that.

Can I nominate this for this newsgroups's "best idea of the day" award?

Drinking fountains at main NR and tube stations, where travellers can
have a drink or refil their water bottles. Just like at all BAA
airports.

Hmmm. Would you *really* trust a drinking fountain, considering what your
fellow tube passengers may very well have been doing with it beforehand?
Old July 4th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

We're all getting too damn soft and the media don't help. When I was
a kid we just called it hot weather and got on with it. Now there are
endless announcements to carry water and if you believe the news
we're all about to suffer heat stroke.

That's because in the past when people dropped dead on the tube, their
relatives just grieved, buried their dead and got on with their lives.
Now they sue.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p15036443.html
(Original "Great Western" nameplate on 47 500, 1979)