Old July 7th 06, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 7th July terrorist attacks a year on

As you will almost certainly be aware, today is the first anniversary
of the terrorist attacks of Thursday 7th July 2005.

There will be plenty said about this today, some of it far more
eloquent than I could possibly manage, so I'll keep this as concise as
I can and try to avoid being trite.

Today I shall spare some time to think of the loved-ones, friends and
acquaintances of the 52 people who were murdered, and also the 700 plus
passengers who were physically injured in the attacks, as well as the
many more who were traumatised by their unwilling proximity to the
explosions, some who escaped uninjured but were nontheless
unintentionally witness to horrendous sights.

I shall also think of the medical staff who dealt with the casualties,
with the police and other emergency service staff who confronted the
grim and depressing tableaus at the site of each explosion, and for the
police investigators who then examined these sights in detail, for
example the anti-terrorist officers who worked in sweltering heat in
the Piccadilly line tunnels near Russell Square, and their many
colleagues who investigated the oher scenes.

The transport staff of London also deserve recognition for the valiant
way they acted that day - the Underground drivers who remained calm
when their trains were bombed, the bus drivers who continued to work
despite the earlier events - and they also deserve recognition for
getting the transport system back up and running the next day, and
keeping it going throughout the past year. George Psaradakis, the
driver of the number 30 that was bombed and subsequently returned to
work at Stratford bus garage personifies this spirit, but the nameless
many join him in my thoughts.

I wish the best for all those who've been affected.

Despite it's many faults I love London, and very much enjoy living in
this city. No imbecilic destructive acts of a few will stop that.

---

There will be a two minutes silence at noon.
[http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5133430.stm]

---

P.S. Given that usenet is an open forum I'm sure a few people will take
this opportunity to broadcast their bigotry and plane stupidity to all.
There are interesting and important issues to be discussed with regards
to the wider background of the terrorist attacks - indeed there have
been some intelligent discussions in the past here on u.t.l. about it
all. However given the problem that such exchanges can be wrecked by a
few posters, I will forsake usenet as a forum for deliberation on such
matters in preference to more fruitful off-net conversations.

---

Old July 7th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Nicely expressed, Mizter T. You echo my sentiments exactly.

I was in Court today at midday, and we observed the two minutes'
silence.

My father was on a 295 bus near Fulham Broadway, and the bus pulled to
the side of the road at noon and everyone there did likewise.

Marc.

Old July 7th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
As you will almost certainly be aware, today is the first anniversary
of the terrorist attacks of Thursday 7th July 2005.

There will be plenty said about this today, some of it far more
eloquent than I could possibly manage, so I'll keep this as concise as
I can and try to avoid being trite.

In my view you did avoid it and put in wiring my feelings exactly, both
for the people involved and for the affect it had on all of us to whom
London is special.

The transport staff of London also deserve recognition for the valiant
way they acted that day - the Underground drivers who remained calm
when their trains were bombed, the bus drivers who continued to work
despite the earlier events - and they also deserve recognition for
getting the transport system back up and running the next day, and
keeping it going throughout the past year. George Psaradakis, the
driver of the number 30 that was bombed and subsequently returned to
work at Stratford bus garage personifies this spirit,

It's difficult to single anyone in particular out, it's true. But
George Psaradakis was really eloquent when he spoke out just before the
silence held the week after the atrocities and his words moved me
greatly. Survivors also spoke of compassion and heroism from the station
supervisor at Russell Square who came into the tunnel to first reach the
bombed out Piccadilly Line train. If we're not "safe" in London (and
of never 100% safe anywhere), then people like that, people who do that
bit extra or show that bit more care and dedication, they make us a
little bit "safer" and I for one appreciate that a lot.

But this isn't to detract from what countless other people did that day.

Despite it's many faults I love London,

As do I. It's a place which gives me a living and where I enjoy every
moment I spend there.

No imbecilic destructive acts of a few will stop that.

Quite.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK