Old July 26th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo platforms

Would anyone happen to know from which platform number(s) trains depart
Waterloo for Guildford on a weekday?

TIA,

Ian

Old July 26th 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

"Ian F." wrote in message
Would anyone happen to know from which platform number(s) trains depart
Waterloo for Guildford on a weekday?

I can't say that I've noticed any consistency.

It's the middle bit, from about 6 to 14.

tim

TIA,

Ian

Old July 26th 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim" wrote in message

It's the middle bit, from about 6 to 14.

Thanks Tim - noted.

Ian

Old July 27th 06, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
Would anyone happen to know from which platform number(s) trains depart
Waterloo for Guildford on a weekday?

When the "new" timetable was introduced in December 2004, the platform
allocations were as follows ;

1 - Suburban (Epsom, Chessington, Kingston, Shepperton, Hampton Ct,
Guildford)
2 - as 1
3 - as 1
4 - as 1
5 - spare
6 - West of England (Andover, Salisbury, Yeovil, Exeter, Bristol)
7 - as 6
8 - SW Main (Bourmemouth, Poole, Weymouth)
9 - as 8
10 - SW Outer Suburban (Basingstoke, Alton)
11 - as above
12 - SW Main (Southampton & Portsmouth via Eastleigh)
13 - as 12
14 - Portsmouth Direct (Guildford, Haslemere, Petersfield, Portsmouth)
15 - as 14
16 - Windsor/Hounslow via Twickenham
17 - Kingston via Twickenham
18 - Weybridge/Hounslow via Brentford
19 - Ascot & Reading.

Whether this has changed much since then, I can't comment, as I'm only
in London once or twice per month these days, and obviously, any major
disruption will result in the 'plan' being flushed down the nearest
toilet. The bit about Platform 5 being 'spare' is a bit strange, as at
least the 16h50 Waterloo - Yeovil left from there, and the Portsmouth
via Eastleigh train I caught last week left from Platform 9.

Hope this is of some use/interest anyway.

Matt
Southsea

Old July 27th 06, 12:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"M J Forbes" wrote in message
ups.com...

Whether this has changed much since then, I can't comment,

As it happens, my train was the 5.30pm to Portsmouth Harbour, which left
from platform 13.

I made it.

It was fine.

Thanks all.

Ian

Old July 27th 06, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

M J Forbes wrote:
Ian F. wrote:
[...]

That doesn't seem quite right. I am sure that platform 15 is (and has
been for years) used for trains in the Putney direction, not the
Portsmouth direction. Has the above got slightly out of line?

Old July 27th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

That doesn't seem quite right. I am sure that platform 15 is (and has
been for years) used for trains in the Putney direction, not the
Portsmouth direction. Has the above got slightly out of line?

I was quoting from an internal document that was issued in the run-up
to the new timetable - I never actually bothered to check if it was
adhered to!

Cheers

Matt

Old July 28th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

M J Forbes wrote:
That doesn't seem quite right. I am sure that platform 15 is (and has
been for years) used for trains in the Putney direction, not the
Portsmouth direction. Has the above got slightly out of line?

I was quoting from an internal document that was issued in the run-up
to the new timetable - I never actually bothered to check if it was
adhered to!

Since this I've checked a couple of times in passing, and 15 has not
been used for anything. But last time I came into it it was from the
"Windsor lines". This in conjunction with pre-timetable-change
memories of catching Reading trains there made me sure that it was used
for trains in that direction.

Platform 14 has been used for Alton and Basingstoke services today
(which I think is normal).

I suppose I could stand there till a train leaves from platform 15, but
that might seem obsessive. Somebody working for SWT probably knows.

Old July 29th 06, 01:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote
I suppose I could stand there till a train leaves from platform 15, but
that might seem obsessive. Somebody working for SWT probably knows.

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe
for trains from Waterloo to Clapham Junction. The next one from platform 15
comes up as the 05.05 to Reading, headcode 1C05.

Old July 29th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

John Salmon wrote:
"MIG" wrote
I suppose I could stand there till a train leaves from platform 15, but
that might seem obsessive. Somebody working for SWT probably knows.

An easier way is to ask
http://217.23.229.206/jpclient.exe
for trains from Waterloo to Clapham Junction. The next one from platform 15
comes up as the 05.05 to Reading, headcode 1C05.

(Mumble mumble old fashioned ways ...)

But I'm only getting a timeout from this link at various times today.