Old September 1st 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default 2 jailed for railway graffiti

Peter Masson wrote:

Peter

Reasonably good news, :-)

Punishment should fit the crime. I think a 1024 community hours
cleaning trains may have been more constructive. But, this is
certainly beter than the usual slap in the wrist.

Adrian.

Old September 1st 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Solario wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:

Peter

Reasonably good news, :-)

Punishment should fit the crime. I think a 1024 community hours
cleaning trains may have been more constructive. But, this is
certainly beter than the usual slap in the wrist.

Adrian.

It's good to see that His Honour Judge Paul Worsley, Q.C., only
recently appointed as a Judge (and a good friend of mine) has shown his
Yorkshire commonsense and handed down a weighty sentence to these
scumbags.

Marc.

Old September 2nd 06, 02:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:
Solario wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:

Peter

Reasonably good news, :-)

Punishment should fit the crime. I think a 1024 community hours
cleaning trains may have been more constructive. But, this is
certainly beter than the usual slap in the wrist.

Adrian.

It's good to see that His Honour Judge Paul Worsley, Q.C., only
recently appointed as a Judge (and a good friend of mine) has shown his
Yorkshire commonsense and handed down a weighty sentence to these
scumbags.

Marc.

Agreed. Scumbags both of them. There's just no need for graffiti. Touch
wood so far no-one seems to have destroyed any of SWT's refurbished 455s.

Cheers

Steve M
Old September 2nd 06, 06:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote in message
ups.com...

Solario wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:

Peter

Reasonably good news, :-)

Punishment should fit the crime. I think a 1024 community hours
cleaning trains may have been more constructive. But, this is
certainly beter than the usual slap in the wrist.

Adrian.

It's good to see that His Honour Judge Paul Worsley, Q.C., only
recently appointed as a Judge (and a good friend of mine) has shown his
Yorkshire commonsense and handed down a weighty sentence to these
scumbags.

Marc.

Well you can tell your good friend that I for one object to the fact that a
lot more money is now going to be spent on these scumbags having a thorough
education in every other type of crime. If you took your head out of the
pages of the Daily Mail once in a while you might discover that, in the real
world, PRISON DOESN'T WORK.

Brian.

Old September 2nd 06, 06:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Solario" wrote in message
oups.com...

Peter Masson wrote:

Peter

Reasonably good news, :-)

Punishment should fit the crime. I think a 1024 community hours
cleaning trains may have been more constructive. But, this is
certainly beter than the usual slap in the wrist.

Adrian.

Nice to see a sensible response.

Brian.

PS A similar pair were locked up in Manchester not so long ago. It's a
bloody waste of money and, in the long term, turns bad lads worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4421129.stm

Old September 2nd 06, 07:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Brian Begg-Robertson" wrote in message

Well you can tell your good friend that I for one object to the fact that
a lot more money is now going to be spent on these scumbags having a
thorough education in every other type of crime. If you took your head out
of the pages of the Daily Mail once in a while you might discover that, in
the real world, PRISON DOESN'T WORK.

What do you suggest instead?

--
Brian

Old September 2nd 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Brian
Begg-Robertson gently breathed:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Solario wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
Peter

Reasonably good news, :-)

Punishment should fit the crime. I think a 1024 community hours
cleaning trains may have been more constructive. But, this is
certainly beter than the usual slap in the wrist.

It's good to see that His Honour Judge Paul Worsley, Q.C., only
recently appointed as a Judge (and a good friend of mine) has shown his
Yorkshire commonsense and handed down a weighty sentence to these
scumbags.

Well you can tell your good friend that I for one object to the fact that a
lot more money is now going to be spent on these scumbags having a thorough
education in every other type of crime. If you took your head out of the
pages of the Daily Mail once in a while you might discover that, in the real
world, PRISON DOESN'T WORK.

Indeed, this does appear to be true - though it depends on your concept
of what a prison is for.

Graffiti scum should be birched, hard. That's what they do in
Singapore, and it does work, remember all the hue and cry a few years
ago when they were going to birch an American boy who thought he was
above their laws? They have very little anti-social behaviour, simply
because they punish those who try it, in a harsh, painful, way. It's
quick, cheap, and doesn't cause any significant lasting damage. Far
better that sending them to a cushy jail where as you say, they just
learn how to do more crimes while enjoying all the "rights" we insist on
giving them, and costing about 12k a year (or is it 20k?) per prisoner
to run.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = http://www.wytches.net = The UK's Pagan ISP!
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk http://www.revival.stormshadow.com
Old September 2nd 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Brian Begg-Robertson" wrote:

Well you can tell your good friend that I for one object to the fact that a
lot more money is now going to be spent on these scumbags having a thorough
education in every other type of crime. If you took your head out of the
pages of the Daily Mail once in a while you might discover that, in the real
world, PRISON DOESN'T WORK.

Prison does work in that it keeps ne'er-do-wells out of circulation. It's when
they are released that the problems arise.

Old September 2nd 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Brian Begg-Robertson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Solario wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:

[...]

Well, I'd suggest that for the next year or so a lot more money will be
saved by the Police, railway companies etc. in not having the clear up
after these two every time they feel like airbrushing a train or two.

In the limited sense (and I'm claiming no more) that prison keeps
vandals from continuing their acts of wanton destruction (as well as
any other crime) whilst they are off the streets, of course PRISON DOES
WORK.

Marc.

Old September 2nd 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Phil McGlass wrote:

Prison does work in that it keeps ne'er-do-wells out of circulation.
It's when they are released that the problems arise.

That's like saying jumping off the top of a building is perfectly safe, the
problems only arise when you hit the ground.