Old October 8th 06, 04:03 AM posted to uk.people.disability,uk.people.disability.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Tube maps for the blind

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=907

Old October 8th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.people.disability,uk.people.disability.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 05:03:56 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=907

This isn't new.
When I was a kid I clearly remember an underground map at Barking
station that someone had put Braille dots on for the relevant
stations.
However I also remember going back the following week and seeing most
of them scratched off!

I suppose the problem now is that they need to be in about 20
languages or someone's going to start screaming.
Old October 8th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.people.disability,uk.people.disability.transport,uk.transport.london

In ,
Tone. typed:
wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=907

This isn't new.
When I was a kid I clearly remember an underground map at Barking
station that someone had put Braille dots on for the relevant
stations.
However I also remember going back the following week and seeing most
of them scratched off!

I suppose the problem now is that they need to be in about 20
languages or someone's going to start screaming.

If you read the article, you will find that it is not about a blind
person finding their way around the network but around individual
stations - nothing like the map at Barking.

--
Bob

Old October 8th 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.people.disability,uk.people.disability.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 11:24:39 GMT, "Bob Wood"
wrote:

In ,
Tone. typed:
wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=907

This isn't new.
When I was a kid I clearly remember an underground map at Barking
station that someone had put Braille dots on for the relevant
stations.
However I also remember going back the following week and seeing most
of them scratched off!

I suppose the problem now is that they need to be in about 20
languages or someone's going to start screaming.

If you read the article, you will find that it is not about a blind
person finding their way around the network but around individual
stations - nothing like the map at Barking.

I did read it.
My point being that the article stated a 'New Initiative' and it
isn't new. The whole idea was mooted and tested in some stations in
the 60's
even braille maps of various stations showing access points etc.

Old October 8th 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.people.disability,uk.people.disability.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=907

Finally a step in the right direction. It would however, be nice to have
a wheelchair accessible line other than the Jubilee.

Mark

Old October 8th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.people.disability,uk.people.disability.transport,uk.transport.london

Mark Horton wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=907

Finally a step in the right direction. It would however, be nice to have
a wheelchair accessible line other than the Jubilee.

DLR?

Things are progressing. There's a target of 25% step-free access by 2010
and 33% by 2016 I believe. Some key stations will be going step-free for
the Olympics - Baker Street and Green Park - as well as the remainder of
King's Cross. Victoria will be step-free just after, and planned
congestion-relief schemes for Bank, Tottenham Court Road and Paddington
H&C will involve step-free access provision. The aim is to create a
decent network of step-free stations so that a combination of buses and
Tube will work, rather than enabling one line and forgetting about all
the others.

--
Dave Arquati
Old October 8th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.people.disability,uk.people.disability.transport,uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Mark Horton wrote:

John Rowland wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=907

Finally a step in the right direction. It would however, be nice to
have a wheelchair accessible line other than the Jubilee.

DLR?

In my ignorance I thought they formed part of the same line (I'm not a
Londoner).

Things are progressing. There's a target of 25% step-free access by 2010
and 33% by 2016 I believe. Some key stations will be going step-free for
the Olympics - Baker Street and Green Park - as well as the remainder of
King's Cross. Victoria will be step-free just after, and planned
congestion-relief schemes for Bank, Tottenham Court Road and Paddington
H&C will involve step-free access provision. The aim is to create a
decent network of step-free stations so that a combination of buses and
Tube will work, rather than enabling one line and forgetting about all
the others.

Well that is encouraging to know. But it would be nice if I did not have
to play Mornington Crescent. I do know that the whole infrastructure has
to accessible by 2020. to comply with DDA. I know that with some
stations that will be a tall order. I guess I'm impatient, after all
current tube access is 100% better than it used to be.

Mark

Destination blind Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 52 October 30th 15 07:44 AM
Blind Lamps Q London Transport 29 February 24th 10 09:05 PM
centra bus blind [email protected] London Transport 4 May 28th 06 02:09 PM
Tube maps - get them while you can! Yorkie London Transport 1 March 13th 06 09:30 PM
Biological tube maps Tom Anderson London Transport 3 April 18th 04 06:40 PM