Old December 10th 06, 09:13 AM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow
Default Confused about Oyster on SWT

I hope someone can help me because my little brain is starting to hurt!

I usually use the Picadilly line from Hounslow Central but on the days when I can't be bothered to walk the extra distance to the tube station I get on the train to Waterloo instead. I was under the impression that Oyster isn't valid on South West Trains and because of this mixing of my journeys I've only used my Oyster for PAYG so far.

However, I am confused by a recorded message that I heard at Hounslow mainline station on Friday that said something like 'please note that Oyster pay as you go is not valid on any service from this station' thereby implying that an Oyster with a travelcard on it is valid.

Is that the case?

If so, how would anyone know if you've got a t/c or payg as there are no barriers or touch in/out pads at Waterloo or Hounslow and lastly, if an Oyster t/c is valid and I put one on my card, which zone would Hounslow mainline station be in (given that 2 of the 3 LU stations are in Z4 and the other is in Z5)

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room now...

A.
__________________
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.

Old December 10th 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
AndreaC wrote:
However, I am confused by a recorded message that I heard at Hounslow
mainline station on Friday that said something like *- 'please note
that Oyster pay as you go is not valid on any service from this
station' -* thereby implying that an Oyster with a travelcard on it is
valid.

Is that the case?

Yes. A travelcard is a travelcard is a travelcard. Your right to
travel does not change if it is issed on paper, an oyster, or an
unusually painted cod.

It is unlikely that one would ever be issued on an unusually painted
cod with the agreement of the the right people. Even if they did
you really wouldn't want an annual travelcard issued like that.

If so, how would anyone know if you've got a t/c or payg as there are
no barriers or touch in/out pads at Waterloo

Ticket inspectors on Silverlink Metro trains sometime have an oyster
reader, and sometimes use it to check tht the oysters people wave
at them have a travel card rather than PAYG on them.

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.
Old December 10th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"AndreaC" wrote in message

[...]

You'll find information regarding Oyster on a number of TfL's web pages,
including http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...er/general.asp

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...eral.asp#where says (inter
alia):
"Oyster cards with Travelcards are valid on Tube, DLR, tram and National
Rail services within your chosen zones and across the entire London bus
network."

The zones are shown at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf.
Hounslow (National Rail) is zone 5.
--
David Biddulph

Old December 10th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"AndreaC" wrote:

I usually use the Picadilly line from Hounslow Central but on the days
when I can't be bothered to walk the extra distance to the tube station
I get on the train to Waterloo instead. I was under the impression that
Oyster isn't valid on South West Trains and because of this mixing of
my journeys I've only used my Oyster for PAYG so far.

However, I am confused by a recorded message that I heard at Hounslow
mainline station on Friday that said something like *- 'please note
that Oyster pay as you go is not valid on any service from this
station' -* thereby implying that an Oyster with a travelcard on it is
valid.

Is that the case?

Yes

Oyster period travelcards (7 days or more) are valid on National Rail
services within the appropriate zones.

If so, how would anyone know if you've got a t/c or payg as there are
no barriers or touch in/out pads at Waterloo or Hounslow and lastly, if
an Oyster t/c is valid and I put one on my card, which zone would
Hounslow mainline station be in (given that 2 of the 3 LU stations are
in Z4 and the other is in Z5)

Hounslow rail station is zone 5.

SWT revenue protection staff have hand-held readers to check what you have
loaded on your Oyster - my Oyster has been checked in this fashion at
Waterloo several times.

Chris

Old December 10th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:13:43 +0000, AndreaC
wrote:

[...]

if you want the very long explanation I provided to the group then it is
here

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....4c5444660a3 5

The thing to try to remember, and I accept the publicity does not make
this distinction, is that Oyster is the *card* and it can hold different
products - namely a Season Ticket i.e. Travelcard *and* cash in the form
a Pay as you Go product. It would be like combining a contract form of
service and PAYG on a mobile phone. Once you'd exhausted your contract
airtime you could use the cash for PAYG phone calls.

Due to the current level of equipment and commitment from the train
companies we are in an interim position with regard to acceptance of the
products that Oyster cards can hold. This will changes over the next
few years as the TOCs have agreed to sell and accept PAYG and TfL will
pay to have the equipment installed. However no detailed programme has
emerged to explain exactly how and when this will happen.

Simply - 7 day and longer Travelcards on Oyster cards are valid
everywhere the old magnetic ones work.

One Day travelcards remain on magnetic tickets and cannot be held on an
Oyster card at all.

PAYG is valid on all TfL contracted bus services, DLR, Tramlink and the
Tube. It is valid on a very small number of NR routes at present -
typically where those lines parallel the tube network. See page 10 of
the link below.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...006.pdf#page=1

PAYG also offers something called "capping" to limit your daily
expenditure but this only works for those services where PAYG is valid.
For your travel it is not worth considering.

In your case I would strongly suggest that you simply buy a travelcard
on your Oyster card for the zones you regularly travel through. Forget
about PAYG as you require flexibility of mode rather than the benefit of
lower charges. For your journeys where there are not readers do not
worry about it despite the messages haranguing people to validate all
over the place. Your travelcard still works and you will not be charged
£4 (the maximum fare) because you are not using PAYG for all or part of
your journeys. I accept it is confusing but the correct message would
take 20 minutes to announce ;-)

PAYG is NOT valid on any SWT route - that is why there are not Oyster
pads everywhere. In addition you cannot use PAYG for any form of
extension to a Travelcard ticket e.g. travelling to Zone 5 if you had a
Z13 Travelcard. Again this explains why there are not pads to register
entry and exit everywhere.

A Travelcard that is held on an Oyster card is valid on SWT within the
dates and zones purchased. In order to permit Oyster cards that hold
Travelcards on them to work gates that is why some SWT stations do have
suitably equipped gates.

The new franchise for SWT includes the provision of Oyster compatible
equipment at all SWT stations and within the zonal area the introduction
of PAYG based charging. This is a number of years away. There is also a
requirement to gate Waterloo station but as I am sure you can imagine
that is not a small task.

Hounslow (SWT) Station is in Zone 5.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf

Ticket inspection staff have hand held readers to interrogate Oyster
cards. If you travel outside your zones or try to use PAYG on SWT then
you will be liable to a Penalty Fare.

Hope that helps.

--
Paul C

Old December 10th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

AndreaC wrote:

I hope someone can help me because my little brain is starting to hurt!

I usually use the Picadilly line from Hounslow Central but on the days
when I can't be bothered to walk the extra distance to the tube station
I get on the train to Waterloo instead. I was under the impression that
Oyster isn't valid on South West Trains and because of this mixing of
my journeys I've only used my Oyster for PAYG so far.

However, I am confused by a recorded message that I heard at Hounslow
mainline station on Friday that said something like *- 'please note
that Oyster pay as you go is not valid on any service from this
station' -* thereby implying that an Oyster with a travelcard on it is
valid.

Is that the case?

Yes. An Oyster with a travelcard is valid exactly like a paper
travelcard, that is on all tube, DLR and National Rail trains within the
zones the travelcard is valid.

If so, how would anyone know if you've got a t/c or payg as there are
no barriers or touch in/out pads at Waterloo or Hounslow and lastly, if
an Oyster t/c is valid and I put one on my card, which zone would
Hounslow mainline station be in (given that 2 of the 3 LU stations are
in Z4 and the other is in Z5)

You do not have to touch in/out anywhere when you have a travelcard on
the Oyster and there is no barriers. Ticket inspectors have Oyster
readers so you will not get any problem with them either.

All National Rail stations within Greater London are in a zone (some are
in two zones). The station in your case, Hounslow, is in zone 5. The
next station, Isleworth, is in zone 4.

There is a "connection map" of lines, stations and zones he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room now...

If you alternate between tube and National Rail the best thing is
probably a travelcard to the stations on both the tube line and the
mainline you use.

You are not exactly the first person to wonder about these things... :-)

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old December 10th 06, 01:02 PM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield
[color=blue][i] (snip)

Hounslow (SWT) Station is in Zone 5.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf

(snip)

Thanks for that. I might have guessed that it wouldn't be in Z4 like the Central & East tube stations - that would save me a bit of dosh.

I'll just have to stop being lazy and walk to the blooming tube *sigh*
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.