London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 28th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,346
Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?

Seems Kuddly Ken has decided that its now fine to charge someone 4 quid
for a single fare via zone 1. I'm presuming that this is to force
people onto Oyster. Or is it perhaps to stop visitors to the city from
using public transport? Possbily a health drive , get them all walking?

Seriously , I don't understand the logic behind this. Wtf is he trying
to achieve? Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or visiting
businessmen who don't know about Oyster or don't walk to fork out for
one or go to the hassle of getting one just for a short trip. I suspect
quite a few after sampling the pathetic service and sky high prices on
tube might well not bother coming back. Well done Ken.

B2003


  #3   Report Post  
Old December 28th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Apr 2005
Posts: 349
Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?


Boltar wrote:
Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or visiting
businessmen who don't know about Oyster
B2003


Is there anything wrong with this in principle, given especially as the
former are unlikely to have paid the extortionate subsidy that those of
us living in London have to pay to finance public transport?

Marc.

  #4   Report Post  
Old December 28th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,346
Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?


Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
He's obviously not got through to you to get an Oyster card, has he? I'm
a visitor to London with an Oyster card.


I've had an oyster card since they first came out funnily enough. And
well done to you for getting a card though since you're a regular on
this group I suspect you already knew about them. I doubt the same can
be said for 99% of tourists who come here however. Do you read up on
the ticketing of the metro and bus systems in every foreign city you
visit before you go in case you get screwed by some megalomanic mayor
and his patsies by not coughing up a deposit beforehand to buy the
local smartcard?

B2003

  #6   Report Post  
Old December 28th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2006
Posts: 37
Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?

In article . com,
"Boltar" wrote:


I've had an oyster card since they first came out funnily enough. And
well done to you for getting a card though since you're a regular on
this group I suspect you already knew about them. I doubt the same can
be said for 99% of tourists who come here however. Do you read up on
the ticketing of the metro and bus systems in every foreign city you
visit before you go in case you get screwed by some megalomanic mayor
and his patsies by not coughing up a deposit beforehand to buy the
local smartcard?


What nonsense. Many other world cities have travelcard systems - why
wouldn't someone check out London's? And you don't need to 'read up' on
them - you can just go to a ticket office or machine and buy one in most
cities I've been to.

E.
  #7   Report Post  
Old December 28th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?

Boltar wrote:

wrote:

Boltar wrote:
Its simply going to screw money out of tourists or visiting
businessmen who don't know about Oyster
B2003


Is there anything wrong with this in principle, given especially as the
former are unlikely to have paid the extortionate subsidy that those of
us living in London have to pay to finance public transport?


IMO yes. The fare should be the same no matter how you pay. I don't go
into a shop and have to pay double for a coffee just because I paid
with cash and not a smartcard so why should it apply to the tube and
buses? Also if the mayor wants to stiff tourists why not take it to its
logical conclusion and just charge them an entry fee at airports? As
for subsidies , all public transport is subsidised around the world by
the local population. If you use your argument you might as well say
anyone foreign can't even walk on the pavements here since they didn't
pay the tax to build or maintain them.



Get an Oyster, use an Oyster, tell your friends and family to do the
same, or be a mug and pay the higher fares.

Regarding foreign visitors to London:
"In partnership with Visit Britain, TfL now offers visitors from
selected countries outside the UK the option to buy an adult Oyster
card before arriving in London."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...7/visitors.asp

With Mayor Ken the price differential is here to stay. If you don't
like it, vote him out. Whether any of the other candidates will offer a
promise to abolish the price differential remains to be seen.

And if you don't live in Greater London and hence can't vote in the
Mayoral elections, then you can always stop coming into London.

  #9   Report Post  
Old December 28th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 650
Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?

Mizter T wrote:
Get an Oyster, use an Oyster, tell your friends and family to do the
same, or be a mug and pay the higher fares.


Get mugged when you buy an oyster from the theft that originates
1) When they oyster is deducted at the barrier, but the gates don't
open, you get "seek assistance", the gateline ****s force you to touch
the bi-directional paddel, and you have an unresolved journey which
means an annoying and expensive phone call, or a long queue at the only
window left open and hope that the guy is feeling generous enough to
give you your own money back that his company just stole.

2) When the line is suspended, and you exit the same station you just
entered

3) When the line is suspended, and tickets are valid on other routes.
Apart from the fact they aren't, as you have to pay when you get on the
bus

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
London's Congestion charge rises to 11.50 Edward Cowling[_2_] London Transport 0 June 16th 14 05:31 PM
New Year fare rises Paul Scott London Transport 10 September 8th 08 10:35 AM
London TravelWatch criticises cash fare rises in London Mizter T London Transport 5 January 1st 07 10:12 PM
Exact Fare Only CJG London Transport 34 September 4th 03 09:37 AM
Exact Fare Only Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 7 August 27th 03 07:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017