Old February 19th 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Petition against C-Charge for Blackwall Tunnel

Please sign my petition to urge the government to stop Greenwich council
from setting up the congestion charge in the borough of Greenwich.

This charge will not only effect journeys through the centre of
Greenwich, but also users of the Blackwall Tunnel, as the council are
considering making this a toll tunnel.

I have lived in Greenwich for the last 42 years, so I have seen an
increase in traffic during that time, however the politicians would have you
and I believe this is because the number of cars has increased. I am not
so sure of that. what I am sure of is that most of the various routes, side
roads, other than the main road have either been closed or made in one-way
streets, forcing all traffic on to the main roads, thereby
seeming as though there is an increase in the number of cars, the fact is
that all cars are now forced to use main roads instead of being able to
choose various routes to reach their destination.

Another factor helping towards the "effect" of congestion is the
introduction of an un-necessary number of traffic lights, which seem to be
phased that as one set go green, the next set are going to red.

I live in Greenwich and used to work in Bermondsey, at 4.30 one morning
I got stuck at red light on 14 sets of traffic lights, there was only me on
the road at that time of the morning, however imagine the effect that
would have on traffic during rush hour. This was not a one off or occasional
occurrence, this was quite regular. I began to wonder at one point who was
taking a kick-back from the traffic light suppliers /
manufacturers, because it seemed there were and have been so many sets of
traffic lights popping up all over London, at places where there didn't and
doesn't seem to be a need for them.

The web address of the petition is below, your help by signing this
would be greatly appreciated.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BlackwallTunnel/

Your petition reads:

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop the
congestion charge scheme being introduced in Greenwich or for
using Blackwall Tunnel

Congestion charging doesn't work,no matter what lies our mayor
tells us. It is just another tax. Greenwich Council has slowly
succeeded in driving busieness' and industry from the Greenwich
Borough over the last 20 years. So if you live in Greenwich,
chances are you work outside of the borough because of the lack
of industry within it. Now in collaboration with TFL, Greenwich
Council want to introduce the congestion charge so that you pay
to enter/exit the borough,but also pass through it via
Blackwall tunnel. All road users are very heavily taxed already
and tolls are an added unjust burden that particularly hits
drivers on low incomes.

Old February 20th 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark F wrote:
Please sign my petition to urge the government to stop Greenwich council
from setting up the congestion charge in the borough of Greenwich.

(snip)

I'm not sure what you say to someone who thinks that the number of cars
hasn't risen in the last 42 years.

--
Dave Arquati
Old February 20th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb, 10:34, Dave A wrote:
Mark F wrote:
Please sign my petition to urge the government to stop Greenwich council
from setting up the congestion charge in the borough of Greenwich.

(snip)

I'm not sure what you say to someone who thinks that the number of cars
hasn't risen in the last 42 years.

--
Dave Arquatiwww.alwaystouchout.com- Transport projects in London

My thoughts exactly Dave. The number of cars has exploded in the last
42 years.

Old February 20th 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb, 11:43, "Tom Page" wrote:
On 20 Feb, 10:34, Dave A wrote:

Mark F wrote:
Please sign my petition to urge the government to stop Greenwich council
from setting up the congestion charge in the borough of Greenwich.

(snip)

I'm not sure what you say to someone who thinks that the number of cars
hasn't risen in the last 42 years.

--
Dave Arquatiwww.alwaystouchout.com-Transport projects in London

My thoughts exactly Dave. The number of cars has exploded in the last
42 years.

And I'm not sure what to say to someone who lives in the borough with
the highest levels of asthma in London and would prefer cars to be
able to clog up the entire borough, not just the main roads. And to
someone who lives in Zone 2, well served by regular public transport,
who drives to work. Unbelievable. I really hope Greenwich council
carries this plan through.

Patrick

Old February 20th 07, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb, 13:22, wrote:
And I'm not sure what to say to someone who lives in the borough with
the highest levels of asthma in London and would prefer cars to be
able to clog up the entire borough, not just the main roads. And to
someone who lives in Zone 2, well served by regular public transport,
who drives to work. Unbelievable. I really hope Greenwich council
carries this plan through.

I'd tend to agree overall with your sentiments (as well as Dave's) -
it's worth noting, though, that the OP claims to drive to work at
0430, at which point public transport is not at its best. Indeed, the
TfL planner claims there are no suitable night buses *at all*; I'm
slightly sceptical but not sufficiently so to investigate in detail.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 20th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 19, 10:54 pm, "Mark F" wrote:
Please sign my petition to urge the government to stop Greenwich council
from setting up the congestion charge in the borough of Greenwich.

This charge will not only effect journeys through the centre of
Greenwich, but also users of the Blackwall Tunnel, as the council are
considering making this a toll tunnel.

I have lived in Greenwich for the last 42 years, so I have seen an
increase in traffic during that time, however the politicians would have you
and I believe this is because the number of cars has increased. I am not
so sure of that.

The number of cars has definitely increased. According to the Office
of National Statistics (Social Trends 36: 2006 edition) the proportion
of households in Great Britain without regular use of a car fell from
48% in 1970 to 26% in 2003. The proportion owning one car stayed at
around 44% throughout that period but the proportion with two or more
cars rose from 7% to 30%.

In London car ownership is lower but the rising trend is similar. The
percentage of London households with no car fell from 54% in 1971 to
38% in 2001 (from the Census). People living in London owned 1.51
million cars in 1971 (average 0.55 cars per household) and 2.61
million in 2001 (0.86 cph). In addition a significant proportion of
the cars passing through Greenwich every day will belong to people who
don't live in London including, as you say, users of the Blackwall
Tunnel.

Old February 20th 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Feb 2007 08:12:35 -0800, "John B" wrote:

On 20 Feb, 13:22, wrote:
And I'm not sure what to say to someone who lives in the borough with
the highest levels of asthma in London and would prefer cars to be
able to clog up the entire borough, not just the main roads. And to
someone who lives in Zone 2, well served by regular public transport,
who drives to work. Unbelievable. I really hope Greenwich council
carries this plan through.

I sincerely hope that mindless petitions are banned in the very near
future!

If the EL river crossing is ever built then I hope that will have a nice
toll slapped on it as well as on the Blackwall Tunnel - whether via a
congestion charge or some other mechanism (mandatory Oyster cards for
all motorists and massive "pads" installed at the tunnel entrances -
"beep").

I'd tend to agree overall with your sentiments (as well as Dave's) -
it's worth noting, though, that the OP claims to drive to work at
0430, at which point public transport is not at its best. Indeed, the
TfL planner claims there are no suitable night buses *at all*; I'm
slightly sceptical but not sufficiently so to investigate in detail.

Don't worry - TfL are about to fix that as there is to be a N188
introduced later this year which nicely provides a 24 hour service from
Greenwich to Bermondsey.

There will also be a better service on the 25 at night and 24 hour
service introduced on the 128, 472, 474, 141 and W3. Note also that
late evening services are being added M-F on the Red Arrows and the 205
is to be extended to Mile End Station and increased in frequency as
well. I think I heard a rumour about it also going 24 hour but I might
have my memory in a muddle on this latter point.

--
Paul C

Old February 20th 07, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

I sincerely hope that mindless petitions are banned in the very near
future!

Me too, I haven't seen one of these e-petitions yet that I would agree
with. Some don't even make sense.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 20th 07, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
Paul Corfield wrote:

I sincerely hope that mindless petitions are banned in the very near
future!

Me too, I haven't seen one of these e-petitions yet that I would agree
with. Some don't even make sense.

Will you sign this one?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/petitionban/

Peter Smyth

Old February 21st 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

If they do introduce a C-Charge for Blackwall Tunnel, I hope they give any
residents of the boroughs of Canning Town a discount for entering the
tunnel (and Greenwich) in the same way as they would inevitably give the
residents of Greenwich.

All I've heard is that they would only consider giving this discount to
Greenwich residents, because it's a Greenwich Council proposal. Which is
disgusting, as the tunnel applies to neighbours on both sides.

To be honest, on the whole I'm 100% in favour of C-Charges, and as a
transport user and a pedestrian, I can see the great improvements in
London. And for all his faults, Ken has delivered. But I don't think that
it's necessarily a good idea to do the same with the tunnel. What then?
Everyone will use Rotherhithe, and the problem there will be increased
fourfold. And Rotherhithe is narrower and the traffic is just as bad at
rush hour - worse, I think.

However, I don't think the original poster has too much to worry about.
From what I've read, Greenwich Council introduced it thinking it would be a
positive move, but have been completely surprised by the negative reaction
and I read somewhere that a councillor confirmed that it won't go ahead if
it really is so popular. After all, they want to remain electable, I guess.

Blackwall Tunnel Kev London Transport 4 May 10th 07 04:30 PM
Blackwall Tunnel Steelrat London Transport 7 April 20th 07 03:59 PM
blackwall tunnel morning lane closures [email protected] London Transport 3 December 11th 06 11:48 AM
When IS Blackwall Tunnel closed? [email protected] London Transport 2 August 2nd 05 06:41 AM
Blackwall Tunnel Sunday Nights Big Al London Transport 6 December 1st 03 08:15 PM