Old March 9th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dot Matrix Displays at Turnpike Lane

Some weeks back I asked LUL via the TfL website why the dot matrix
indicators on the Westbound platform at Turnpike Lane can only display
details of the next train within one minute of it arriving. I got the
following reply back today:

"We recognise that the provision of real-time information at Turnpike
Lane station via the dot matrix information screens could be better. The
reason for the lack of information on the westbound platform is because
trains are constantly entering service at Arnos Grove where there is a
depot. In addition to this there are sidings at Wood Green where trains
are often reversed from eastbound to westbound. The information for the
indicator boards is picked up from signals sent by the track and
therefore with trains entering from different areas it is not possible
for the boards to show any more than the next train. This is also the
case at Bounds Green and Wood Green. Until the technology is upgraded
this will always be the case."

Not very impressive, I have to say. So it begs the question if the best
they can do is base information only once a train leaves Wood Green,
then why bother at all with any equipment at all?

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:

Old March 9th 07, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 9, 9:52 pm, Phil Richards
wrote:
[...]

3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:http://europeanrail.fotopic.nethttp:...il.fotopic.net

This sort of kit was an add on to give "extra real time info" and
because a DMI looks more modern than a light box!
Sadly, what they have said to you is absolutely true, it cant "see"
onto the next site, the equipment that the DMI gets the data from is
about 40 years old.
The more modern signalling rooms have computer controlled signalling
and can "see" further away.
Some locations such as Ealing Common - Uxbridge have nothing at all!

This is a photo of one of the signalling desks that the Picc Line has,
it was taken in 1982, but still looks the same.
http://www.anorakheaven.com/photos/ect_cr04.jpg

The Picc upgrade isnt for about another 8-10 years. www.tubelines.co.uk

Old March 10th 07, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 21:52:06 +0000, Phil Richards
wrote:

[...]

So it's not really much more useful than the 'Next train in one
minute' lightbox that used to be at Turnpike Lane in the 60s.
Technology, eh?
Old March 10th 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Phil Richards wrote:
[...]

The same is true at Wood Green, although there you only get a
destination on the display when you can already hear the train coming
into the platform!
Old March 12th 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The same happended at Bow Road, where 1960s 'black glass' displays
were replaced by all-singing all-dancing dot matrix boards under
Metronet's overrunning refurb. Not only does the EB sign still only
light up when a train leaves Whitechapel (just as the old one did) but
the WB sign actually gives *less* warning than its predecessor (they
were briefly operating in tandem). Also it's sited further to the east
and thus is no longer visible from much of the platform, and the
lettering size is smaller than that it replaced! Yet these signs were
touted as one of the alleged improvements on the Metronet roadshow
bus. When I asked if greater warning of trains would be given I was
told signalling was outside the project's remit (which of course it
is).

Old March 12th 07, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

.. The reason for the lack of information on the westbound platform is
because
trains are constantly entering service at Arnos Grove where there is a
depot. In addition to this there are sidings at Wood Green where trains
are often reversed from eastbound to westbound. The information for the
indicator boards is picked up from signals sent by the track and
therefore with trains entering from different areas it is not possible
for the boards to show any more than the next train. This is also the
case at Bounds Green and Wood Green. Until the technology is upgraded
this will always be the case."

Surely the Central and Northern Line's "CORRECTION" message is
designed to cope with this?

Old March 13th 07, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Phil Richards
writes

[...]

The equipment is being fitted/updated as part of the station
refurbishment specifications. Unfortunately the signalling that they
will be linked into won't be upgraded for about 5-6 years, so they have
been plumbed into the existing system so that they at least give as much
information as before. This kit is being installed now so that they
won't have to disturb all the stations again in a few years when the
signalling is updated.

I suppose the other options would have been to:

Fit them at the station refurbs but leave them turned off (but can you
imagine all the complaints of 'wasted money')
Not fit them but start disturbing the stations in about 4-5 years to fit
them all (cue why did they not think ahead and fit them when the
stations were refurbished)

Whichever way they decided to do it, I'm sure they would have been
wrong!