Old March 13th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central Line Timetable

On Monday morning, an entertaining driver on the central line informed
us that this was "the 09:18 from Woodford, calling all stations to
West Ruislip, due to Stratford at 09:xx, Liverpool street at 09:yy,
and Holborn at 09:zz"

While this is guessable (Epping to White City takes bang on an hour on
most trips), I am dimly ware that there are working timetables for
tube lines. How often to trains run to these times, and is it possible
to get a copy of these? With a 10-15 minute wait at the extremeties,
even at 9AM, it would be nice to see when trains are due. Some lines
have a live ETA, but the central line doesn't. The WAP service at
http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/tfldepboard/ tends to break down whenever I try
and use it in anger

Old March 13th 07, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Monday morning, an entertaining driver on the central line informed
us that this was "the 09:18 from Woodford, calling all stations to
West Ruislip, due to Stratford at 09:xx, Liverpool street at 09:yy,
and Holborn at 09:zz"

While this is guessable (Epping to White City takes bang on an hour on
most trips), I am dimly ware that there are working timetables for
tube lines. How often to trains run to these times, and is it possible
to get a copy of these? With a 10-15 minute wait at the extremeties,
even at 9AM, it would be nice to see when trains are due. Some lines
have a live ETA, but the central line doesn't. The WAP service at
http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/tfldepboard/ tends to break down whenever I try
and use it in anger

They don't advertise it but working timetables are obtainable under the
Freedom of Information Act. Just fill in the form at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/foi/contacts.asp

Peter Smyth

Old March 13th 07, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Mar 2007 11:18:41 -0700, "Paul Weaver"
wrote:

On Monday morning, an entertaining driver on the central line informed
us that this was "the 09:18 from Woodford, calling all stations to
West Ruislip, due to Stratford at 09:xx, Liverpool street at 09:yy,
and Holborn at 09:zz"

While this is guessable (Epping to White City takes bang on an hour on
most trips), I am dimly ware that there are working timetables for
tube lines.

All lines have working timetables measured to the ½ minute for timing
purposes.

How often to trains run to these times, and is it possible
to get a copy of these?

It's certainly the case that trains should run to these times as closely
as possible. In the mornings the Vic Line certainly runs in the right
sequence and usually to time when I'm catching it. Obviously if there is
a delay or failure then it can all go up the spout.

We have printed copies for each line but they are private. Old ones
sometimes appear at transport fairs. We also have a fantastic *intra*net
timetable facility which allows you to select line, date / day, location
and direction and it will bring up the times, train numbers and
destination. Very neat and includes temporary timetable info for those
days when there is engineering work and planned service alterations.

With a 10-15 minute wait at the extremeties,
even at 9AM, it would be nice to see when trains are due. Some lines
have a live ETA, but the central line doesn't. The WAP service at
http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/tfldepboard/ tends to break down whenever I try
and use it in anger

I think the argument is that services are typically so frequent that you
don't need a timetable. I don't agree with that myself and feel that at
places like Epping the minutes past the hour that trains are due to
leave should be provided on posters / leaflets.

Journey Planner has some information for Epping but it's far from ideal
- look under the timetables part and make the appropriate selections.
--
Paul C

Old March 13th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:
"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
ups.com...

While this is guessable (Epping to White City takes bang on an hour on
most trips), I am dimly ware that there are working timetables for
tube lines. How often to trains run to these times, and is it possible
to get a copy of these? With a 10-15 minute wait at the extremeties,
even at 9AM, it would be nice to see when trains are due.

They don't advertise it but working timetables are obtainable under the
Freedom of Information Act.

The TfL website has extracts of the public timetable, which the OP might
find more useful. Go to http://www.journeyplanner.org/im/SI-T.html to
find the interactive Tube map. Click on a station, then click on the
timetable for the line (and direction) that interests you. The summaries
give you the times of first and last trains, headways for various times
of day and off peak journey times to each station along the line.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================
Old March 13th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, Paul
Weaver writes
On Monday morning, an entertaining driver on the central line informed
us that this was "the 09:18 from Woodford, calling all stations to
West Ruislip, due to Stratford at 09:xx, Liverpool street at 09:yy,
and Holborn at 09:zz"

While this is guessable (Epping to White City takes bang on an hour on
most trips), I am dimly ware that there are working timetables for
tube lines. How often to trains run to these times, and is it possible
to get a copy of these? With a 10-15 minute wait at the extremeties,
even at 9AM, it would be nice to see when trains are due. Some lines
have a live ETA, but the central line doesn't. The WAP service at
http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/tfldepboard/ tends to break down whenever I try
and use it in anger

When I worked down there, both Central and Northern were timetabled to
the half minute and on the Northern if you were more than seven minutes
late you were turned early to keep in sequence for the programme machine
on Kennington platform.
--
Clive.

Old March 13th 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joyce Whitchurch" wrote in message
Peter Smyth wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately those timetables have a major flaw as they don't give the
destination of each train. For example the timetable at Finchley Central
northbound shows all trains to High Barnet and Mill Hill East mixed together
with no indication of which is which.

Peter Smyth

Old March 13th 07, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:

Unfortunately those timetables have a major flaw as they don't give the
destination of each train. For example the timetable at Finchley Central
northbound shows all trains to High Barnet and Mill Hill East mixed together
with no indication of which is which.

Good point. I can't help feeling that the timetables on that site used
to be much more informative. Were they ever actual timetables, akin to
the ones on National Rail? They would have been big files mind.
Old March 13th 07, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Coleman." wrote in message
In message . com, Paul
Weaver writes
[...]

Clive

The half minute timing accuracy was down to the programme (sequence)
machines stepping every half minute. The timetables on the machines ran in
half-minute time (from 0300 to 0300 the next day) with 0 at midday - half
minute time was the most you could do within the limits of a computer
integer (8 bit - +/-32767 IIRC).

The Central Line computer control ran internally to quarter minute timings,
but the Timetable software used in developing and printing of the published
timetables (and also the computer control timetables) could only cope with
half minute resolution.

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

Old March 13th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Mar, 22:29, "Peter Corser" wrote:
The half minute timing accuracy was down to the programme (sequence)
machines stepping every half minute. The timetables on the machines ran in
half-minute time (from 0300 to 0300 the next day) with 0 at midday - half
minute time was the most you could do within the limits of a computer
integer (8 bit - +/-32767 IIRC).

8 bit would give you +-127, 16 bit is needed for 32767

The Central Line computer control ran internally to quarter minute timings,
but the Timetable software used in developing and printing of the published
timetables (and also the computer control timetables) could only cope with
half minute resolution.

From noon until 3AM needs a signed integer capable of storing upto

1800 values for a half minute resolution, 3600 for quarter minute. 12
bits would do -2048 to +2047, capable of half minute, but not third or
quarter. 12 bits is 3, 4 bit words.

Nowadays of course 64bit time_t is the way to go, although I think
some libraries do 128 bit, which is a little extreme, although some
may say it doesn't go far enough. I think* a 256 bit time_t would be
capable of representing any measurable point in time, and then some.

*
seconds in creation (50 billion years): -- (86400*365.25*50000000000)
Measurable Units of time (plank time) in a second -- 1/(3.3 x 10^-44)
Measurable Units of time in creation (a*b)
~ 4.8 * 10^61
ln(4.8 * 10^61)/ln(2) == 205

Old March 13th 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

All lines have working timetables measured to the ½ minute for timing
purposes.

The Waterloo and City line timetable (and maybe others - I think the
Central line is one) measures to the nearest 1/4 of a second. Things
like platform numbers and paths for empty stock are also all in there.

Cheers

Steve M