Old March 15th 07, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A stock after closure of ELL

In message .com,
Boltar writes

Once the ELL gets switched over the 3rd rail is St Marys curve going
to be lifted or will it be left intact just in case LU want to move
stock onto the national rail network at some point in the future?

It is being retained, according to alwaystouchout.com
--
Paul Terry

Old March 15th 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 15, 1:55 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
John B wrote:

Also, AIUI St Mary's Curve is not going to be lifted, although it's
unlikely to see much use given the new Metronet-National Rail link way
out east (Barking, is it?)

I have a feeling that it was Upminster.

It was, but an OHLE stanchion and the need to take an engineering
possession of the Upminster-Romford line means that the connection
will actually be going in at Barking.

Old March 15th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:

It was, but an OHLE stanchion and the need to take an engineering
possession of the Upminster-Romford line means that the connection
will actually be going in at Barking.

Thanks for the correction. I don't recall actually reading anything about
that change before.

Old March 16th 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry if I missed something, but isn't ELL already completely 3rd rail?

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Once the ELL gets switched over the 3rd rail is St Marys curve going
to be lifted or will it be left intact just in case LU want to move
stock onto the national rail network at some point in the future?

B2003

Old March 17th 07, 06:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 17, 12:40 am, wrote:
Sorry if I missed something, but isn't ELL already completely 3rd rail?

"Boltar" wrote in message

oups.com...

Once the ELL gets switched over the 3rd rail is St Marys curve going
to be lifted or will it be left intact just in case LU want to move
stock onto the national rail network at some point in the future?

B2003

Nope. It's only fourth rail, despite information published in the past.

Old March 17th 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:
Leaving the WLL in its current electrified state is a colossal
mistake. At a minimum the OHLE should be extended south to Shepherd's
Bush, and at a maximum, it should be extended south to Kensington
Olympia with the up platform road reinstated to provide four fully
bidirectional roads through the station, releasing capacity in both
directions to allow for additional passenger/freight usage (especially
if Imperial Wharf station ever opens).

Converting most of the NLL to AC would be a good idea.

Both of those comments scream out common sense. I'm sure that I read
somewhere (a couple of years ago) that there were plans to move the AC/DC
changeover point further south (it may even have been at Shepherds Bush
station) for practical reasons, BICBW.

There have been plans to do this for some time, but the issue is the
Hammersmith & City line - AIUI the signalling is not immunised, so the
overhead can't be extended south until the H&C gets resignalled (which
may not be until 2014).

--
Dave Arquati
Old March 17th 07, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:41:40 +0000, Dave A wrote:

Both of those comments scream out common sense. I'm sure that I read
somewhere (a couple of years ago) that there were plans to move the AC/DC
changeover point further south (it may even have been at Shepherds Bush
station) for practical reasons, BICBW.

There have been plans to do this for some time, but the issue is the
Hammersmith & City line - AIUI the signalling is not immunised, so the
overhead can't be extended south until the H&C gets resignalled (which
may not be until 2014).

It *could* be extended south before then, but that would mean having
to pay for the existing H&C signalling to be immunised (as well as
that on the Central). They've decided it's too expensive, but said
they might reconsider when the H&C signalling is renewed (and it'll be
cheaper to have it immunised).