Old March 16th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL/NLL interchange

The ELL phase 1 northern extension finishes at Dalston Junction station, but
Ken has stated that he will provide funds for early completion of the direct
link to the NLL, originally part of phase 2.

Am I correct in thinking that the first convenient cross platform
interchange station between ELL and NLL will actually be Canonbury or
Highbury and Islington? In which case would it be better not to refer to
Dalston 'Junction' for the reborn station, as it isn't actually a junction?
I'm presuming the distance between 'Junction' and 'Kingsland' will be
excessive for an LU style out of station interchange...

Paul S

Old March 16th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

In which case would it be better not to
refer to Dalston 'Junction' for the reborn station, as it isn't
actually a junction?

I can't work out how the name Dalston became so prominent. The high street
is called Kingsland High St, and the road from London is called Kingsland
Road. Am I right in thinking that the whole area was called Kingsland, until
the railway built a station on Dalston Lane, called it Dalston Junction, and
then Dalston gradually took over as the area name?

Old March 16th 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar, 12:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that the first convenient cross platform
interchange station between ELL and NLL will actually be Canonbury or
Highbury and Islington?

Yes, but the majority of ELL trains will still terminate at Dalston
Junction, so that's not very useful.

In which case would it be better not to refer to
Dalston 'Junction' for the reborn station, as it isn't actually a junction?
I'm presuming the distance between 'Junction' and 'Kingsland' will be
excessive for an LU style out of station interchange...

It'll be marked on the maps as an interchange. It looks to be about
200m on the street, the same as KXTL to King's Cross.

From: http://hoop.ground-level.org/dalstonKingsland/info

'The name Dalston is Anglo-Saxon in origin and derived from Deorlafs’s farm
(tun) on the banks of the Hackney Brook. By 1300 it had become a hamlet known
as Derleston centred around the junction of the present day Ridley Road and
Dalston Lane. The hamlet of Kingsland grew up in medieval times at what we now
call Dalston Junction. By the 1830’s the hamlets had merged and linked to the
north with the hamlet of Shacklewell and to the new development of De Beauvoir
Town in the south as London expanded into the surrounding countryside.'

Looks like Dalston took over Kingsland. I live nearby. Out yesterday by the new
line I see an alarming bit of viaduct missing - hope they remember to fill it.

E.

Old March 16th 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar, 13:27, "
wrote:
On 16 Mar, 12:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that the first convenient cross platform
interchange station between ELL and NLL will actually be Canonbury or
Highbury and Islington?

Yes, but the majority of ELL trains will still terminate at Dalston
Junction, so that's not very useful.

As I understand it, trains will run:

Highbury - New Cross 4tph
Dalston - West Croydon 4tph
Dalston - Crystal Palace 4tph

Could be wrong, though. I'm pretty sure Highbury will only be served
by trains to New Cross.

Patrick

Old March 16th 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"eastender" wrote in message

Looks like Dalston took over Kingsland. I live nearby. Out yesterday by
the new
line I see an alarming bit of viaduct missing - hope they remember to fill
it.

I'm sure they will - they seem to have a very relaxed timetable for the
works...

Paul

Old March 16th 07, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 16 Mar, 12:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that the first convenient cross platform
interchange station between ELL and NLL will actually be Canonbury or
Highbury and Islington?

Yes, but the majority of ELL trains will still terminate at Dalston
Junction, so that's not very useful.

In which case would it be better not to refer to
Dalston 'Junction' for the reborn station, as it isn't actually a
junction?
I'm presuming the distance between 'Junction' and 'Kingsland' will be
excessive for an LU style out of station interchange...

It'll be marked on the maps as an interchange. It looks to be about
200m on the street, the same as KXTL to King's Cross.

I know from the TfL maps its south of Dalston Lane, one option I hadn't
thought of is that by keeping with the original station site they have the
long term flexibility to reinstate the east curve towards Hackney and
Stratford...

Paul

Old March 16th 07, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar, 13:27, "
wrote:
On 16 Mar, 12:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that the first convenient cross platform
interchange station between ELL and NLL will actually be Canonbury or
Highbury and Islington?

Yes, but the majority of ELL trains will still terminate at Dalston
Junction, so that's not very useful.

Correct - 4tph out of 12, as mentioned elsewhere. However, since the
NLL service will also only be 4tph, this /should/ be reasonably
useful...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org