Old March 27th 07, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default CTRL loading gauge

Anyone know what loading gauge the CTRL has been built to?

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Old March 27th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
Anyone know what loading gauge the CTRL has been built to?

European? UIC 'C' gauge - whatever that is... but I think the platforms at
St Pancras are UIC 'B'

Paul

Old March 27th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David

UIC GC gauge is detailed in the following Guidance Note:

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/docushare...1/GEGN8573.pdf

Page 22 Although more details and gauge calculations are given in
UIC's own publications.

Not sure about the platform gauge is UIC B same as SNCF or SNCB?

OC

Old March 28th 07, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 27, 11:03 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
European? UIC 'C' gauge - whatever that is... but I think the platforms at
St Pancras are UIC 'B'

Between the Temple Mills spur and the tunnel, the CTRL has a structure
gauge of UIC C. Between the Temple Mills spur and St. Pancras, the
CTRL has a structure gauge of UIC B+.

Old March 28th 07, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 9:08 am, "TheOneKEA" wrote:
On Mar 27, 11:03 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

European? UIC 'C' gauge - whatever that is... but I think the platforms at
St Pancras are UIC 'B'

Between the Temple Mills spur and the tunnel, the CTRL has a structure
gauge of UIC C. Between the Temple Mills spur and St. Pancras, the
CTRL has a structure gauge of UIC B+.

Why didn't they keep it consistent? Whats the point of C gauge the to
the spur then slightly smaller B+ beyond? Its not as if C gauge trains
could head off onto the DC lines.

B2003

Old March 28th 07, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 9:39 am, "Boltar" wrote:
Why didn't they keep it consistent? Whats the point of C gauge the to
the spur then slightly smaller B+ beyond? Its not as if C gauge trains
could head off onto the DC lines.

The only thing I can guess is that the route is UIC C as far as Temple
Mills to allow UIC C-gauged infrastructure trains to reverse in the
depot.

Old March 28th 07, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 9:39 am, "Boltar" wrote:
Between the Temple Mills spur and the tunnel, the CTRL has a structure
gauge of UIC C. Between the Temple Mills spur and St. Pancras, the
CTRL has a structure gauge of UIC B+.

Why didn't they keep it consistent? Whats the point of C gauge the to
the spur then slightly smaller B+ beyond? Its not as if C gauge trains
could head off onto the DC lines.

It means that in the future, if we build a north-south HSL that goes
via the KXSP complex, or if we regauge the existing mainlines to UIC C
for freight/double-deck trains, we won't need to spend millions on
regauging HS1 as part of the work. This is a Good Thing.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 28th 07, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 11:22 am, "John B" wrote:
On Mar 28, 9:39 am, "Boltar" wrote:

Between the Temple Mills spur and the tunnel, the CTRL has a structure
gauge of UIC C. Between the Temple Mills spur and St. Pancras, the
CTRL has a structure gauge of UIC B+.

Why didn't they keep it consistent? Whats the point of C gauge the to
the spur then slightly smaller B+ beyond? Its not as if C gauge trains
could head off onto the DC lines.

It means that in the future, if we build a north-south HSL that goes
via the KXSP complex, or if we regauge the existing mainlines to UIC C
for freight/double-deck trains, we won't need to spend millions on
regauging HS1 as part of the work. This is a Good Thing.

What I meant was , why didn't they make the whole line UIC C? Would
that extra inch or so on the rest of the line really have made so much
difference to the cost?

B2003

Old March 28th 07, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 1:35 pm, "Boltar" wrote:
On Mar 28, 11:22 am, "John B" wrote:

On Mar 28, 9:39 am, "Boltar" wrote:

Between the Temple Mills spur and the tunnel, the CTRL has a structure
gauge of UIC C. Between the Temple Mills spur and St. Pancras, the
CTRL has a structure gauge of UIC B+.

Why didn't they keep it consistent? Whats the point of C gauge the to
the spur then slightly smaller B+ beyond? Its not as if C gauge trains
could head off onto the DC lines.

It means that in the future, if we build a north-south HSL that goes
via the KXSP complex, or if we regauge the existing mainlines to UIC C
for freight/double-deck trains, we won't need to spend millions on
regauging HS1 as part of the work. This is a Good Thing.

What I meant was , why didn't they make the whole line UIC C? Would
that extra inch or so on the rest of the line really have made so much
difference to the cost?

Not absolutely sure on this, but ISTR the reason St Pancras is going
to be B+ rather than C is a deliberate choice to do with the shape of
platforms: E*s are built to British guage, so providing platforms with
C clearance would have left gaps/overly large steps up or down. When
E*s are ultimately replaced, it's unlikely the replacement will need
to run on normal British track (since the NoL plan appears to be dead
and CTRL now exists), so C gauge trains will be feasible with a little
bit of platform-shaving at St P.

Anyone in a position to confirm/deny?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 28th 07, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

First I've heard it is not meant to be GC to St P. Don't track
maintenance vehicles go that far especially in the tunnels? Is the
gauge officially declared anywhere TheOneKEA?

I thought the platforms were French height at St P - is that correct?

OC