Old April 21st 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Standing on trains

keithy wrote:
Watch a District line train arrive at Richmond in
the evening peak the front two coches is so packed that i dont anyone
can breath yet the last one of six has enough room to actually roam
around in.

But the middle was packed until Kew Gardens, and the back was packed until
Gunnersbury.

Old April 21st 07, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
keithy wrote:
Watch a District line train arrive at Richmond in
the evening peak the front two coches is so packed that i dont anyone
can breath yet the last one of six has enough room to actually roam
around in.

But the middle was packed until Kew Gardens, and the back was packed until
Gunnersbury.

I had no idea my remark about coaches on the front would generate so much
apparent confusion. Just for the record, it WAS a joke (but suggested in all
seriousness by a passenger to me in the 1960s when trains were really
crowded, the maximum I recall being around 1700 on a Bexleyheath line
morning peak train but of course at least half of them still had seats).

MaxB

Old April 21st 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:54:43 +0100, "MaxB" wrote:

...or as the programme was arguing (I think) to run more and longer trains
(particularly with more coaches at the front where it is most crowded) ):

It's amazing how many people can't be bothered to walk to the front of
a train. It's common for peak-time trains to leave Euston full and
standing in the rear 2 or 3 coaches, all seats taken in the next 4-6
and the rest with spare entire bays, never mind seats. If people
would spread out, everyone would have a seat.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old April 21st 07, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Apr 2007 12:57:01 -0700, MIG
wrote:

Except when they remove two seats to create a space where only one
person can stand, as on the Jubilee.

Isn't that supposed to be multipurpose space for luggage, prams and
such? That said, the Northern Line tip-up seats in those spaces are
better than the "perches" on the Jubbly.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old April 22nd 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007, keithy wrote:

On Apr 20, 3:42 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, John Rowland wrote:
MaxB wrote:

...or as the programme was arguing (I think) to run more and longer
trains (particularly with more coaches at the front where it is most
crowded) ):

How is adding coaches at the front different to adding them at the back
or the middle?

Because the front is where it's crowded! DON'T YOU GET IT JOHN?!?

Actually dont you get it BARRY, What would happen if you put
additional carriges at the front?

Keithy, i was kidding. I realise that putting coaches on the front or the
back is exactly the same thing. In fact, i think it's bleeding obvious,
which is why Max's joke was so funny. I think John took it a touch too
seriously, hence my post.

tom

--
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity -- Hanlon's Razor

Old April 22nd 07, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

Except when they remove two seats to create a space where only one
person can stand, as on the Jubilee.

Isn't that supposed to be multipurpose space for luggage, prams and
such? That said, the Northern Line tip-up seats in those spaces are
better than the "perches" on the Jubbly.

The trouble is that people have top halves to their bodies and, if
leaning rather than sitting, actually splay their legs further out
than they would if sitting in a flip-up seat.

The chunky obstructions (like the speak to the driver thing) on one
side, plus the inappropriateness of leaning on someone's head on the
other side, result in people leaning in the middle of the space where
two flip-up seats would be, leaving no room for a second person.

At times of crowding, there is no room for luggage anyway. At times
of less crowding, the seats could be flipped up and the space would be
useable.

There are similar problems with the 376s on SET.